Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 inch suspension or 2 inch and one inch body lift?

Just came from off road shop and they gave me 2 options for lifting my Jeep (05 Rubicon Unlimited) I plan to do light wheeling and a couple of trips/ year to paragon with my new daily driver. I plan on 33/12.50s. Option 1: 4 inch suspension lift (short arm) I forget which brand. Option 2: 2 inch old man emu lift and a 1 inch body lift. Option 2 is obviously signiificanlty cheaper and I'm pretty tapped out after purchasing the jeep itself... Any thoughts???

Originally posted by Jake40
    Option 2 is obviously signiificanlty cheaper
    negitive.

an old man emu lift is the best. therefore, it is the most expensive. if you compare a 2in OME lift to a 4in Short arm rubicon express lift, the price is about the same, possibly slightly cheaper for just the lift. however, its the accessories you need that will put the 4in SA over the top price wise.

It depends on 2 factors:
    1) money pit. obviously.
    2) doing it right, or cutting corners? for the same price, you can run a 4in lift or a OME lift. However, the 4in SA is going to lack all the goodies you need to be perfect (CV, control arms, track bar, etc) hence this would be "cutting a corner."

The old man emu lift is your "safety". You will not need anything else then the lift.

the SA (for same price) is a "crap-shoot". you might need lower control arms to dial out vibs, you might need a transfer case lowering kit... you catch my drift.

good luck

-Lou

Comment

Old man emu

Thanks, I think u just sold me on the ome kit. Now I just need to figure out which wheels and tires to use...

Comment

You could get an upgradeable kit such as RE 3.5 standard.

Comment

bigtj99

Man bigtj99 do you work for OME if not you should.To howm it may concern bigtj99 knows his shi+.

Comment

Originally posted by ACE
            Man bigtj99 do you work for OME if not you should.To howm it may concern bigtj99 knows his shi+.
            dunno if this is sarcasm or a compliment, but thank you.

Ive been a member for a year, and have been logged on every day and read every topic. When it comes to suspension, its something Ive heavily researched and asked questions about.

as far as the post, if it were me, i would go with the 4in lift for the same price without the upgrades, because im a half fast kinda jeeper. Then again, i own a $6500 99 TJ and you own a $25,000 05 rubicon. I dont know if I would mess around with suspension components on your vehicle. Also, I do not depend on my TJ to get me to work everyday, so if its stuck in the driveway a few days, i wont be fired. And its about 40 degrees here and thats too cold to be under my jeep wrenchin away. again, just my opinion.

also, the OME setup is easier to install. and wont need control arms, track bar, shims, bending shifters, cv chafts, blah blah blah.

not to mention, the ride quality of the OME lift (from what i hear) is unbelievable.

I would suggest a common median, possibly the 2in 4wdh lift with RE 3/4in spacers, or 4wdh 3in lift. Both will be a little less than the OME lift, and are equaly competative.

-Lou
            Last edited by bigtj99; 11-28-2005, 07:17 PM.

Comment

How about a 4" Old Man Emu Lift? You get both!

Comment

i agree with bigtj99. the old man emu is the best riding suspension and flexs very well. great quality suspension lift. the 1" lift doesn't sound bad either. i'm not a fan of body lifts at all, but the 1" doesn't require all the crap that a 2" or 3" does. at 4WD we have a 1" lift that is poly mounts and no pucks, less lateral stress without the "sandwich".

Comment

Originally posted by dogbone
                  How about a 4" Old Man Emu Lift? You get both!
                  i was not aware OME made a 4in lift, unless your refering to subing in 4in RE coils, or something of the like.

the whole reason the OME is so small, yet so ::perfect:: is because austrailia wont allow the lift height over 2.5in, which has why it has so much research put into only a 2.5in lift.

i would have suggested the 4in lift but that would put him right back to the origional post $$$$.

-Lou

Comment

Originally posted by bigtj99
                    i was not aware OME made a 4in lift, unless your refering to subing in 4in RE coils, or something of the like.

the whole reason the OME is so small, yet so ::perfect:: is because austrailia wont allow the lift height over 2.5in, which has why it has so much research put into only a 2.5in lift.

i would have suggested the 4in lift but that would put him right back to the origional post $$$$.

-Lou
                    Lou

I just ordered the OME 4" Coils and bought the OME Long travel shocks, but your right. I had to buy trackbars, some RE adjustable control arms, ect and I will be doing a sye and cv shaft after the lift upgrade. Ome 4" Coils have been out for about 6 months. I bought the heavy 4", but I think they make a medium also. Add some 35" tires and you've spent a bundle. I liked the OME 2.5" so well when I upgraded my lift I stuck with them.

Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OME93...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

dog man, you just made me droll with that setup

good call, let us know how that turns out, sounds like you spent a pretty penny!! $$$!!$$!!$$!!!$$$!!!

but yeah, origional poster, im sure you get the drift. make sure you update us with your progress!

-Lou

Comment

bigtj99

COMPLIMENT.

Comment

If I may offer my two cents. I am new to the site but I have been wheeling for nearly a year and I am a high posting member at another forum. If you have a roll with a body lift you run the risk of separating the body of the jeep from the frame of the jeep. My buddy did this, wheeling about 6 months ago. After alking to Sam at tennessee offroad we found out that it is much safer to stick with suspension. I am running a 3.5 bds lift kit on my 95 YJ and its great. For a ruby I would put a 4 inch rubicon express on or a 3.5 superlift. Then put on 33's. Then if you have the money regear because if its your daily driver you will notice a diffference on the road. I have a stick and on the interstate I have to go to down shift from 4th to 3rd just to keep up with traffic. My wheeling buddy has an 03 x series tj and he hasto do the same. Then again thats just my opinion.

Ferrell
                          Last edited by Ferrell 's YJ; 11-29-2005, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrell 's YJ
                            Then if you have the money regear because if its your daily driver you will notice a diffference on the road. I have a stick and on the interstate I have to go to down shift from 4th to 3rd just to keep up with traffic. My wheeling buddy has an 03 x series tj and he hasto do the same. Then again thats just my opinion.
                            Your bogging down bc more than likely your running 3.07 gears with a 6cy or 4.11's with a 4cy. Your buddy's x (4.0) comes stock, and ONLY with 3.07's.

rubicons come stock with 4.11's which would put you perfectly in the 33-35in tire range. I know my buddy's stock rubi is at 3k on the tack doing about 80-85 with a 5 speed with stock rubbers. Putting on 33's should drop u down to the 2-2300rpm crusing range with a 5 speed. Which I feel is delicious.

-Lou

p.s. the problem you described sounds like body roll, which is usually only noticed at 2+in of body lift. I personally have never heard of any problems with a 1in body lift and wheeling, and i know LOTS of jeepers on here run one.

Comment

Working...
                            X