X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The atlas Twin shifter thingy...

So to the people who run two transfer cases just explain this whole idea/theory to me and how it works. I just want to learn...

lower range for lower crawl ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep
      The atlas Twin shifter thingy...
      Originally posted by Jeff's_Jeep
      So to the people who run two transfer cases just explain this whole idea/theory to me and how it works. I just want to learn...
      An atlas and two transfer cases are a completely different thing.

Atlas has the ability to shift the front axle and rear axle independently. D300's can also be made to do that. - Reason for this is more driver control, and many other benifits.

Two T-cases, or Doublers, are in short, two t-cases bolted back to back to give you a Low-Low (multiply one by the other) - reason for this is to get super low gearing.

Comment

atlas II's have the ability to engaged/disengage front and rear axles independently. you can run front 2wd hi/lo, rear 2wd hi/lo, 4wd hi/lo. this allows you to do something called a "dig". for example you are backed up against a rock, the front diff is hung and you need to turn left. you simple yank the e-brake, put it in 2wd front hi, crank the wheel in the direction you want to turn, and mash the gas. it will pull the rig around the obstacle.

Comment

Originally posted by str8country
          atlas II's have the ability to engaged/disengage front and rear axles independently. you can run front 2wd hi/lo, rear 2wd hi/lo, 4wd hi/lo. this allows you to do something called a "dig". for example you are backed up against a rock, the front diff is hung and you need to turn left. you simple yank the e-brake, put it in 2wd front hi, crank the wheel in the direction you want to turn, and mash the gas. it will pull the rig around the obstacle.
          SO did you remeber that word for word from Extreme 4x4 this past weekend(which was an a rerun from awhile ago), or did you have to look it up???

Comment

As stated, an atlas and double stacking t cases are two seperate things. You dont see too many jeeps with stacked t cases due to driveline length. If you have a stock engine block and tranny the distance from the rear of the t case and the axle is already short even if you were running 2 dana 300s with stubbies you'd cut your driveshaft length by nearly 10 inches. The u joint angles at that length would make your jeep undriveable.

An atlas as mentioned is simply a tcase with low gearing and the ability to shift the front and rear outputs independently. The other cool thing of the atlas is that they are damn strong and gear driven. The downfall is cost. A dana 300 is very simliar but when built to be as strong as a atlas theyre just as expensive.

If you havent managed to break your 231, I wouldnt even think about an atlas unless you have nothing else to do with $2500 and a couple of hours of your time making it fit. An atlas is not a straight bolt in. Yes it bolts direclty to your tranny but routing the shifters requires some cutting. We havent tried their new cable shifters yet but this looks to eliminate some of the mounting issues.

Comment

Originally posted by adventure bob
              We havent tried their new cable shifters yet but this looks to eliminate some of the mounting issues.
              They are a HUGE pain in the #&^ to adjust, and they dont shift as smooth as the normal levers!

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
                SO did you remeber that word for word from Extreme 4x4 this past weekend(which was an a rerun from awhile ago), or did you have to look it up???

i've been wanting to set-up a lomax300 for a while, that's why i was asking kel and selway about the brake setup on her rig at RC. so yes i knew how they work, engineers pay attention to that crap ya know...

and yes i did catch that episode....

Comment

Ya Ya Ya, just had to give you crap!!

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
                    They are a HUGE pain in the #&^ to adjust, and they dont shift as smooth as the normal levers!

Yeah what he said. My atlas is a pain in the a$$ to shift in and out of gear. I much would rather have the regular shifters back on there but like you said, with the cables it allows you to mount them in a better location.

Comment

Originally posted by TJMagoo
                      Yeah what he said. My atlas is a pain in the a$$ to shift in and out of gear. I much would rather have the regular shifters back on there but like you said, with the cables it allows you to mount them in a better location.
                      why dont they shift? is there too much friction in the cable or does the cable flex?

Comment

No idea - If I knew, I would try to fix it LOL

Comment

Hers was never super easy to shift, it always took alittle force. Part of the problem is that you can't feel it going into gear, so you have to basicly force it in with the cables. With the normal shifters, you could kinda feel the gears going together, made things easier!

I'm sure friction has somethign to do with it as well. You just added that much more area and parts to move and slow things down.

Comment

i'm confused....

i thought they were all shift on the fly? your not suppota have to force it in casue the gears are meshed. right? or are the index postions off and you get it stuck in between hi and lo?

or are you saying that you cant feel the vibration in the cable that you can from the stick as the gears come in?

Comment

my d300 twinsticks shift easier than the old single lever.

Comment

Working...
                              X