X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Problem..

Alright so i have a '51 M38, alllmost street legal but the brakes don't work too well. My dad and I remade all the steel lines with a pipe bender and it all looks good. We bled them but there just isn't too much power in the whole stopping section. They slow it down for sure but not fast enough at all...
    Any thoughts or comments?

is the pedal soft?
    how well did ya bleed them?
    was the master cylinder emptied if so you should bleed it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman
      is the pedal soft?
      how well did ya bleed them?
      was the master cylinder emptied if so you should bleed it first.
      No, the pedal is actually very hard, you don't have to pump it so it's not squishy either.. the master cylinder is new and i bled the lines through all the way... I'm really not sure what i did wrong

Comment

How old are the brake shoes/surfaces? If they are old, they may not have the friction of new brake material. Also, did you renew your drums? if they are rusty, you won't have as much friction. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before putting it on? That's all I could come up with for right now.

Comment

Originally posted by GDJeep
          How old are the brake shoes/surfaces? If they are old, they may not have the friction of new brake material. Also, did you renew your drums? if they are rusty, you won't have as much friction. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before putting it on? That's all I could come up with for right now.
          Brake shoes are new, the drums were redone but i did not bench bleed the master cylinder...could be the problem?

Comment

you want your pedal to drop no more than 1 inch before you begin to feel pressure in the pedal...i assume you have drum brakes all the way around as well and man, you really gotta lay on drums to get stopped...you should try bleeding them some more before you do anything else...use a plastic soda bottle and cut a hole in the lid for a tube, run it down to the very bottom and put an inch or so of brake fluid in it...shove the tube onto your bleeder valves then when you bleed your brakes if you dont shut it off fast enough the fluid will return to the system insead of air...it will save you some cleanup time and a bit of brake fluid while also allowing you to let more fluid out of the bleeders hopefully enabling you to bleed out the master cylinder too
            Last edited by the Captain; 01-29-2007, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain
              you want your pedal to drop no more than 1 inch before you begin to feel pressure in the pedal...i assume you have drum brakes all the way around as well and man, you really gotta lay on drums to get stopped...you should try bleeding them some more before you do anything else...use a plastic soda bottle and cut a hole in the lid for a tube, run it down to the very bottom and put an inch or so of brake fluid in it...shove the tube onto your bleeder valves then when you bleed your brakes if you dont shut it off fast enough the fluid will return to the system insead of air...it will save you some cleanup time and a bit of brake fluid while also allowing you to let more fluid out of the bleeders hopefully enabling you to bleed out the master cylinder too
              Yeah that's the way I do it. I also trained my 2 oldest kids to assist. One pumps the brake and the other fills the master cylinder between pumping sessions. I can bleed all 4 brakes in about 10-15 mins. I knew those kids may come in handy someday. Like Capitan said, rebleed your brakes. You may still have air trapped in there around the master cylinder.

Comment

If the shoes are new, and the drums are cut, the shoes will need to "seat" into the drums before the brakes will realize their full stopping force. Right now, only part of the shoes are touching, they need to wear in some to make full contact.

Comment

also did you start bleeding them from the farthest brake away (or longest line) from the master cylinder and work your way in..usually right rear, left rear, right front, left front

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain
                    also did you start bleeding them from the farthest brake away (or longest line) from the master cylinder and work your way in..usually right rear, left rear, right front, left front
                    I believe i did, but ill do it again just to check, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CoopDog09
                      I believe i did, but ill do it again just to check, thanks
                      Just a thought, how do i break in the shoes?

Comment

you gotta drive it to do that...but bleed em good first...make sure you have a firm pedal

Comment

What size tires and what size brakes?
                          9 inch brake do not stop large tires from rolling to well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevyjepp
                            What size tires and what size brakes?
                            9 inch brake do not stop large tires from rolling to well.
                            I have the 9inch drum and i believe 30inch tires

Comment

All i want it is the jeep to brake well enough to pass inspection

Comment

Working...
                              X