X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posi Or Limited?

I got a 98 Grand Cherry. Do I have Limited slip or do i have posi? and if it is slip where can i get a locker for cheap. or should i switch the whole rocker?

Ya gotta be a little more specific with your vehicle description... What axle is under it? Not all Grands have posi or ltd slip. If you have the 44A your choices of lockers are limited at best.

Comment

A posi and a limited slip are one in the same! Positraction was GM's name for their limited slip differential.

Comment

well thats the thing. i dont know what kind of axel i have honestly. its just a stock jeep all the way around. any suggestions on how to figure it out?

Comment

Yours will either be a Dana 44 or Dana 35. Use this chart to identify http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Comment

Jack up the rear end so both tires are in the air. With the trans in neutral, turn one tire. If the other tire turns the opposite way, it's likely an open diff. If they turn the same direction, you have a traction adding diff. If it's stock, it'll be a limited slip (aka posi...just as NOCHEEPGAS said, a "posi" is from the '60's when Chevy put their "posi-traction" limited slip diffs in cars and trucks.)

You can also find your RPO codes...usually on a sticker in the glovebox or some such place...and call your local dealership parts department. They can help you determine if yours came with that option. Example: my Suburban has an RPO code of G80 meaning I have a limited slip rear diff.

Third way is to pop your diff cover and just look. An open diff will have visable spider gears and no clutch pack of any kind. The limited slip will have spiders and a clutch pack to one side, or different gears inside the diff carrier if it's a helical type diff. Run thru our host's traction aid pages for pictures and line it up with what ya see inside.

Me, I'd just jack her up or call the dealership.

Comment

I looked on the link starch gave me and i got the dana 35. is that good?

Comment

Originally posted by ryd3r86 View Post
                I looked on the link starch gave me and i got the dana 35. is that good?
                It's a weak diff and the most common for a GC. No LS or Posi for that one from the factory. Strictly open.

Comment

Ah but you can get lockers for it.

Comment

but what i wanna kno now is your opinions on the overall performance and durability of the d35 and how hard would it be to throw a d44 in its place? again... im new and looking to peice together a decent weekend warrior that i can drive and not have to work on and fix all the time. got alot of questions. thanks for the help and hints. greatly

Comment

Don't know if it's still called that, but Jeep's limited slip used to be called Trac-Lok.

Comment

No first-hand experience with it, but it's nicknamed the turdy-five axle.

If I remember right, it should hold up fine with street driving and stock tire size. Light trail rides should be fine.

Bigger tires and harder (moderate) wheeling can lunch it after a while.

Gets worse from there.

You can throw lots of money at it with axle shafts and such and build a "Super-35", but a junkyard Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 will give you a Dana 44 with disc brakes. Axle swap is simple enough if you can weld or have friends who can...or hire a shop to set the spring perches and shock mounts right.

Comment

I've used the Ford 8.8 w/Disc Brakes (99 and newer) and they have worked great and exceot all kinds of gears and lockers and are not exspensive.

Installation would be the same as for the 44.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
                            No first-hand experience with it, but it's nicknamed the turdy-five axle.

If I remember right, it should hold up fine with street driving and stock tire size. Light trail rides should be fine.

Bigger tires and harder (moderate) wheeling can lunch it after a while.

Gets worse from there.

You can throw lots of money at it with axle shafts and such and build a "Super-35", but a junkyard Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 will give you a Dana 44 with disc brakes. Axle swap is simple enough if you can weld or have friends who can...or hire a shop to set the spring perches and shock mounts right.
                            I ran the 35 with a full locker in the wrangler with 35" tires for five years with no problem. Finally, on a STEEP incline with a bump both top & bottom I managed to throw a front U joint, lost traction, slipped backwards, hit hard on the military wrap on the spring, broke that off and then slammed the rear wheel on a sixeable bolder. The axle snapped. It will eventually happen, its a matter of how much strain u put on it.

With your grand, unless you spend mega bucks going to a long arm massive lift you are gonna be stuck with probably 31's or 32's at best. You probably are not gonna be as stupid as me in attempting to go over BAD things (attempting to "bump" the rear over obstacles will catch up to you), so the 35 will "probably" suit you just fine for a few years.

If I had it to do over again I would probably put an ARB or an OX in the 35 so it was not full time locked. The wife always hated "chirping" around the walmart parking lot.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X