Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"No Bus" error & instument panel dead after installing new stereo Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No Bus" error & instument panel dead after installing new stereo

My Jeep: 2006 Wrangler, 4k miles.

I think I screwed something up when I installed my stereo. Any ideas what to look for? When I start it everything is fine then the airbag & CEL lights come on, all of the intruments go to zero then the odometer reads "No Bus". I checked the engine fuse block & there were no blown fuses. I'm going to go check the glove box fuse block right now.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS: I did a search on "No Bus" but the results don't seem to have to do with my issue.

A couple tidbits:
    <snipped> "...On the day before its one year anniversary a minor electrical problem occurred. A wiring harness behind the dashboard was faulty and intermittently would cause the speedometer and tachometer to stop working and go down to zero. When this occurred the odometer that tells you how many miles you have on your Jeep would read " NO BUS". I found out there was a service bulletin out on this problem and my dealer fixed it..." </snipped>

And:

<snipped>"...I have had this problem before and no bus means the the pcm is not comunicating with all other modules. ..."</snipped>

and:

http://forums.automotive.com/communi...bus/index.html

and finally:

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic138837.htm says;

error: P1694 (M) ==> No BUS CCD Messages Received from ECM ==> Bus communication failure to PCM.

Google is the mother of the internet...and the search field is her nipple.

Comment

well known problem on jeep tj, pull out dash cluster and reseat, stereo install, ive done three on tj, is remotely far,circiut wise from pcm, unless you did major wire cutting realy shouldnt affect it, also if yours is 2006, take it to dealer it is under warranty.......................

Comment

Sweet, thanks guys.

Kinda didn't wanna rip the dash apart again but I would rather do it than waste a day at the dealer.

It's a JVC KD-AVX2. It's a great head unit. It's a single DIN with a 3.5" widescreen display.

Here's a big picture:
        http://cardfools.com/pix/jeep/IMG_0210.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boy
          Sweet, thanks guys.

Kinda didn't wanna rip the dash apart again but I would rather do it than waste a day at the dealer.

It's a JVC KD-AVX2. It's a great head unit. It's a single DIN with a 3.5" widescreen display.

Here's a big picture:
          http://cardfools.com/pix/jeep/IMG_0210.JPG
          Did you hack your wiring(BAD) or did you buy the harness(GOOD) for the install???

Comment

I bought a harness. I'm an experienced electronics person. I made sure than none of the extra wires were exposed so no short -should- have happened.

Comment

There are CCD Bus wires located behind most Jeep head units if shorted you lose communication between the BCM and instrument cluster. Unplug your stereo and see if the gauges work again. If so you are tapped into the bus wires.

Comment

I just put my stereo in a few weeks ago and also lost the instrument panel. Mine however was a blown fuse under the hood that I had to replace. I didn't see any bus error anywhere though.

Comment

I bought a harness from Crutchfield that was wired differently than the one I bought from Bust Buy. It worked right away with no errors.

Thanks for the help anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                  X