X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Holes

Have a fiberglass body on a CJ5 with no drain holes. Where would be the best place to install them. What size, I was figuring 2-3"s. I would like 1 on each side.

I was also wondering if adding some sort of down-ward extension would prevent getting sprayed from inside.

Spray some water in your floorboards while parked on a level surface and see where it collects the most....may even be different on both sides. 3" sounds a little big to me, but I may be wrong. I would suggest getting a couple of plastic plugs (you can find all sizes at Home Depot) and cut a couple of holes to fit. Just my pennies....

Comment

Factory tubs (CJ's at least) have 1'' holes, but have 3-4 per side. I would think one 1'' hole in the low spot(s) would work.

Comment

I think I would put one in a corner so that a strategic park would send it all out.

Comment

Not sure if it is a good idea for drain holes in fiberglass bodies.
          Depending on the brand material used , exposing plywood that is encased in the floor may subject it to rot out .

Unless you can seal the edes of the holes somehow.

Just my

Comment

Originally posted by 74_jeep View Post
            Not sure if it is a good idea for drain holes in fiberglass bodies.
            Depending on the brand material used , exposing plywood that is encased in the floor may subject it to rot out .

Unless you can seal the edes of the holes somehow.

Just my
            Never thought of that!! Think I'm going to pull the cage out and make sure that the holes are finished properly. I bought the truck because of the fiberglass body and would hate to see it rot. Like to play in the mud and at the beach

Comment

I drilled a 5/8" hole in the most forward outer flat spot in the front floors. Does that even make since??

I park with the front end a little lower and hose the tub out. I have to constantly remove debris from the holes to keep them flowing, but I didn't want to drill them any bigger.

I wouldn't make them any bigger than 1".

Comment

Go to a sporting goods or boating store and get a bilge plug for a row-boat. I think even Walmart has them for a couple bucks. Just a rubber plug with a brass lever that swells the plug.

Comment

I have had my glass body for 18 years and just drilled 1/2 inch holes this year. In years past I have been caught in some monsoons that filled the floor up. I just stopped by the car wash on the way home and used the vacuum to suck all the water out. Then watched it run out of the vacuum

Comment

Should mention the reason I ask about location is I drilled a small drain in my old Bronco around the gas pedal base and when I hit water it would soak the passenger. I thought it was good for a laugh but the old lady didn't find it funny.

Comment

Working...
                    X