X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any book/manual suggestions for CJ-7 maintenance?

I have a 1981 CJ-7 that I want to do some routine maintenance on. To be honest, never really learned that much about it. Never had any troubles with it, but there are some areas I have neglected. I have only changed the oil and plugs. I want to learn more about changing the oil in the transfer case and diff. I would like to learn how to properly lubricate suspension parts and what not under the Jeep. Have no idea what to lube. I am not going to be rebuilding the motor or swapping axle shafts by myself. Just want to learn how to do some routine maintenance in my garage. I want to learn how to properly jack it up on stands to gain access to the undercarriage. Some good 1:1 time with a long friend

Any books/manuals/dvds/etc... that would be good for someone like me?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

I need to buy 4 jack stands and a lift. Any suggestions. I plan on using htem to rotate tires and to remove all tires so I can get at the wheel wells and put the Herculiner on. Stock now but should have 3" lift kit with 33's soon if that effect things. Are the 3 ton jack stands ok to use or should I look at something else? Don't know what to buy. Any suggestions?

Comment

As for books, FSM is the best.(Factory service manual). However for what you want to know you could get away with a Chiltons or Haynes.
      They will give you the information you are looking for.
      The FSM takes it the extra mile. Axle rebuild and all the really fun stuff.

As for jack stands, I got mine on sale at Harbor Freight. Make sure you get a set that will enable you to use them after you lift your jeep. This translates for me into the biggest one they had. You lift will change how high you need to go.
      Don't worry about the weight of the stands, worry about the height. The weight of your jeep will never hit the limits of the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
        I have a 1981 CJ-7 that I want to do some routine maintenance on. To be honest, never really learned that much about it. Never had any troubles with it, but there are some areas I have neglected. I have only changed the oil and plugs. I want to learn more about changing the oil in the transfer case and diff. I would like to learn how to properly lubricate suspension parts and what not under the Jeep. Have no idea what to lube. I am not going to be rebuilding the motor or swapping axle shafts by myself. Just want to learn how to do some routine maintenance in my garage. I want to learn how to properly jack it up on stands to gain access to the undercarriage. Some good 1:1 time with a long friend

Any books/manuals/dvds/etc... that would be good for someone like me?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan
        The factory service manuals are best. Here's one for 1980 AMC vehicles...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...QQcmdZViewItem.

If you can find one for a 1981, it would be better, but there's probably not much difference between 1980 and 1981. You could ask the seller if he has a 1981 FSM.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
          As for books, FSM is the best.(Factory service manual).
          X2 the FSM is a huge help.

Comment

Go with 6 ton stands. You'll need the height.

Comment

on reading literature...

Dan, never put your Jeep on stands and get under it. This will always result in some sort of trouble...LOL

I third or fourth or whatever the FSM. Mine has been invaluable. Also, I really like the Jeep Bible written by Granville King because it's fantastic reading. The guy is hilarious and he covers the basics pretty well. However, you can run down to your parts store right now and get the Chilton or the Haynes and like Penguin said, each will do you for right now.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Got the FSM and a copy of the owners manual for my 81. Only $100!! Son of a b$&#@.

Is it unsafe to put the jeep up on 4 jack stands and remove all tires? I need to send the wheels of for a chrome bath. I will do the wheel wells with the Herculiner while they are out. Is this an acceptable practice? If so, any suggestions on where to put the jack stands? And where is the best place to put the jack when lifting. Stop laughing and just answer the question.

Comment

Is it unsafe to put the jeep up on 4 jack stands and remove all tires?...Is this an acceptable practice? If so, any suggestions on where to put the jack stands?
                  I wouldn't go crawling around under the Jeep while it is just on Jackstands, ya just never know what might happen. That being said I wouldn't have a problem putting the Jeep on jack stands if you are having the wheels chromed. Put the jacks as far out on the axle as you can.

And where is the best place to put the jack when lifting.
                  I typically jack under the differential housing in the rear and right next to it in the front since it is offset, if I want to lift the whole front or rear of a vehicle.

Comment

living on the edge...

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
                    I wouldn't go crawling around under the Jeep while it is just on Jackstands...
                    There is NO WAY I'm gettin' under there with just the stands, either. All this Chinese CRAP they're selling us these days...

Call it paranoia, but I just told you about breaking and axle at the boat landing...LOL

Comment

The only time I got under my Jeep when it was just on jackstands, well it wasn't much of a Jeep at that point, it was just a frame.

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                      There is NO WAY I'm gettin' under there with just the stands, either. All this Chinese CRAP they're selling us these days...

Call it paranoia, but I just told you about breaking and axle at the boat landing...LOL
                      It's not paranoia, its called being smart.
                      Last edited by dj_jeepin; 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Point made

But it is ok to keep the Jeep on the four stand while I send the wheels off for a chrome bath? Just not such a good idea to get under it. But ok for me to sand/etch/paint the wheel wells (from the side). Just verifying.

Comment

erring on the side of caution...

Dan, always assume the worst can happen when working on a jacked up Jeep. Even when working in a wheel well, you'll get distracted and find that you have a leg under there or even your whole body tucked up close to the axle hub.

I'd always have some other means of support in the place I was working, but that's just me.

Comment

Point made

But it is ok to keep the Jeep on the four stand while I send the wheels off for a chrome bath? Just not such a good idea to get under it. But ok for me to sand/etch/paint the wheel wells (from the side). Just verifying.
                            I wouldn't be afraid of doing that as long as you are not putting alot of elbow grease into sanding it creating lateral movement. Just think about where your arms and legs are at all times.

Dan, always assume the worst can happen when working on a jacked up Jeep. Even when working in a wheel well, you'll get distracted and find that you have a leg under there or even your whole body tucked up close to the axle hub.

I'd always have some other means of support in the place I was working, but that's just me.
                            Good points blackwater!

Comment

going out with less than dignity...

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
                              ...Good points blackwater!
                              DJ, it isn't the 'sudden death' that bothers me so much as the idea of slow asphyxiation...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X