X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo amp mounting locations

I don't go running through deep stream crossing or anything, but I do take my top off durring the summer, and sooner or later I know I'm going to get caught in the rain, I got caught a few times last year in some pretty heavy downpours. So... I'm looking for a place to mount an amp for my stereo, where it should be safe from the elements, any suggestions??

drivers

My suggestion would be under the drivers seat. see how much room there is and try to make a little lift for it to keep it up off the floor. Pull the drain plugs so that the water will drain out when it comes in.

Comment

I had thought of that, I was actually thinking of taking a look to see if I could mount it to the seat bracket instead of the floor, I already pulled the plugs. I had also thought about up under the dash?

Comment

Fan

If you do that you will need a small 12v fan to keep the air moving especially when the top is on. Don't want to fry your amp.

Comment

What kind of amp is it? How many ohms will you be running it at? The lower the ohms, the hotter the amp will run. I used to be in the car stereo business, different brand amps can handle heat better than others and some can run at different ohms than others (even less than rated). We used to mount some upside down under the drivers seat. We would fab some small brackets that allowed it to bolt to the exhisting seat frame. Depending on the brand of amp, we sometimes would drill some small vent holes in the bottom of the amp housing (which when mounted this way is now the top) to allow for some heat to escape. Most people do not run systems in Jeeps so extreme that you need to worry about overheating an amp anyway.

Comment

I couldn't find one that I liked that would also fit under the driver's seat...and you may be surprised at how much water sprays up that way with the doors off.

I bought a nice Alpine and bolted it to the floor under my rear seat. Made it simple to run wires for the subwoofer and head unit/speakers....of course, I have the rear seat in all of the time.

Comment

I mounted two under the rear seat, If it does rain the seat will protect the amps ans if you do run some water it will be in the lower sections of the jeep, not up higher like in the back area. But if you wanna use the back like a "truck" then mount the amp to the seat itself which will make the amp upsidedown.

Comment

Working...
              X