X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in far South Texas?

I live near McAllen and need wiring help with my rig. I put in a new painful wiring harness and obviously did something wrong. I could sure use some help if anyone's down this way. Thanks! HBC

Whats the problem?

Comment

The main thing is that I can't get juice to the new electronic fuel pump when the ignition is on. I put a new Howell FI system on the rebuilt 258, but it won't work without fuel.

The other little things are lights, etc., but I mainly just want to get it running. If I could figure out exactly what wire is missing/not connected, I could at least move on. I'm just horrible with electronics.

Comment

Got all you're fuses installed? Fuel pump grounded? These were a couple things that bit me in the butt after a rewire. Hooked up at the right place in the fuse block?

Comment

Yes and yes; however, I must not have it connected at the right place or it would be working. It would be easy for someone who knows what they're doing...it's not me, unfortunately.

Comment

I installed a Centec total rewire kit, They had a place designated on the fuse block for the fuel pump. I know nothing about the Painless, but a lot of guys on here have installed them and wil help ya out. BTW, Just ordered the Howell TBI and a complete Borla stainless exhaust from our sponsor. Let us know how the TBI works for ya.

Comment

Thanks. I will when I get her running again...

Comment

Originally posted by hbc View Post
                The main thing is that I can't get juice to the new electronic fuel pump when the ignition is on. I put a new Howell FI system on the rebuilt 258, but it won't work without fuel.

The other little things are lights, etc., but I mainly just want to get it running. If I could figure out exactly what wire is missing/not connected, I could at least move on. I'm just horrible with electronics.
                Did you turn the engine over? Some electric fuel pumps are connected to the oil pressure switch for safety and the power only comes on after the engine has been turned over.
                Last edited by magik235; 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magik235 View Post
                  Did you turn the engine over? Some electric fuel pumps are connected to the oil pressure switch for safety and the power only comes on after the engine has been turned over.
                  Yes, I tried that. The engine will run if I have someone pour gasoline in it. It will just not turn the fuel pump on. If I run a direct connection to the fuel pump, it works just fine. Only thing is it won't shut off when the key is off. Bad idea. I could put a designated switch for it, but that is not a safe idea either. I need a source that will only work when the ignition is on.

I've been reading the painless instruction manual (again) and might have some ideas. But, if any of you know the answer already I would sure appreciate the information...

Comment

I'm sure John will pipe up to help ya out. Trace the power wire back to the fuse block , make sure ya got power there with the ing. switch in the on position. Go from there.

Comment

I Know you got electrical problems but do not forget, that is a rebuilt motor and unless you had them pre break in the motor you can damage the cam if you do not break it in, wish I could help with the wiring problem but that is my weak area wish you luck
                      Engineers built the Titanic
                      Amateurs built the Arc

Comment

Originally posted by RonS View Post
                        I Know you got electrical problems but do not forget, that is a rebuilt motor and unless you had them pre break in the motor you can damage the cam if you do not break it in, wish I could help with the wiring problem but that is my weak area wish you luck
                        Engineers built the Titanic
                        Amateurs built the Arc
                        Can you give me some idea as to what 'break in' you are talking about? Is it prior to starting it or after I get it running? Thanks!

Comment

Cam break in is as soon as you get the motor running (and you really shouldn't dry crank a freshly rebuilt motor)

My neighbors loved me when I put a cam in the CJ. V8 + no Exhaust (straight out of the manifolds) + 2k rpm for 20 minutes = mad neighbors.

http://cranecams.com/pdf/548e.pdf

Comment

Very good information. Thanks! HBC

Comment

Anyone else want to pipe in on a good source for the electric fuel pump off of a Painless wiring harness? I could use the advice. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X