X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Yard Seat Belts

My original seatbelts don't like to retract anymore, and I was planning to try the local yard for some restraints. I used some from a Toyota SR5 truck in an old bug I used to have, and think they might work for the CJ7 also. Anyone done this? What else works, as Toyota stuff is expensive now days. Thanks

I would think any belt of the correct length could be made to work as long as you have the complete set.

I used Ford Taurus belts in an old IH I had once. Got tired of the cops pulling me over for no seatbelt because it only came with lap belts!

I need to do the same thing, but we have no wrecking yards here. Let us know what ya find?

Comment

chev cavalier belts fit and work. just took pair out of my 86

Comment

There is a truck yard close to the house here, and they have a bunch if vans. I was thinking they might work also. I'll probably look there first. Stuff seems to be pretty cheep at that yard too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
          I would think any belt of the correct length could be made to work as long as you have the complete set.

I used Ford Taurus belts in an old IH I had once. Got tired of the cops pulling me over for no seatbelt because it only came with lap belts!

I need to do the same thing, but we have no wrecking yards here. Let us know what ya find?
          M&R, just down the road is one of the largest wrecking yards in the entire Southwest!

Comment

found a set from a 94ish Tahoe 2 door. They are gray, and in good shape. Not sure why that rig is in the yard, it's about the only one there that isn't smashed beyond recognition. But I'm not going to complain, nice set of belts for $50. They should work great and retract. Unlike the stock belts that I had.

Comment

alright the gig is up...wheres the poster calling names and saying that junkyard seatbelts will fail in a collision?...it happens every time on here...somebody's slackin'

Comment

I was lucky to find a donr rig that doesn't seem to have been in an accident. Strange, because it seems that every other vehicle there is destroyed. They test fitted very nice, and won't go in untill I roll the floor in. Gonna use that Grizzly Grip in Charcoal Gray. just ordered it tonight.

Comment

belts

i was looking at some burb. belts today too. they mount on the floor and come with a cover for the retracting mechanism the shoulder part will be tapped to the roll bar i feel they will work too the junkjard guy said i could score these for 30 bucks

Comment

I looked at those too, there were lots of those rigs in this yard. I was unsure of how they would work out for my kids climbing in over them though. The ones I found still mount to the floor, but tighter against the wall, and further back into the nook between the rollbar and the wall. I'll try to get some pics of the setup soon, but I have everything out of the jeep right now for rolling in the floor.

Comment

Here is a sideways shot of the seatbelt setup. works great.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/IMG00197.jpg

Comment

yep, thats how its done.

Comment

Working...
                        X