Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor help

Hello fellow Jeepers,

I hope you can give me some advice and that this does not turn into a monster thread...

I installed new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. While I was removing the original cap one of the screws broke off in the distributor itself so, I bought a new distributor and followed Chilton's directions with re seating the new distributor I put everything back together and the engine was sputtering. At this point I reseated all wires just to be sure all were firing and took dist. back off and reseated everything again. This time I tried to restart and nothing motor would not fire or turn. My first thought is that I now have a timing issue...Any thoughts or recommendations? If it is now a timing issue how do I do that?

Thank you in advance!!!
    Last edited by jweave5; 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM.

if your not familiar with with using a timing light ( not even sure if they work with newer engines anyway, its been a while) then your best bet is to get it to a shop. timing issues are a pita.

Comment

Originally posted by jweave5 View Post
      Hello fellow Jeepers,

I hope you can give me some advice and that this does not turn into a monster thread...

I installed new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. While I was removing the original cap one of the screws broke off in the distributor itself so, I bought a new distributor and followed Chilton's directions with re seating the new distributor I put everything back together and the engine was sputtering. At this point I reseated all wires just to be sure all were firing and took dist. back off and reseated everything again. This time I tried to restart and nothing motor would not fire or turn. My first thought is that I now have a timing issue...Any thoughts or recommendations? If it is now a timing issue how do I do that?

Thank you in advance!!!

I know this is totally butch, but the same thing happened in my buddy's TJ. I took a self tapping screw and drove it in through the hole in the cap. That was 2 years and 30,000 miles ago and he still hasn't had any trouble with it. I told him to get a new distributor or take it out and try to retap it, but he never got aroud to it. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
      X