X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auburn Gear ECTED

Anyone use or had any experiences with the Auburn Gear ECTED locker? I need to replace my front locker and I'm looking at different options.

When I was researching front lockers, it was on my list of possibilities. The only drawback that I found was that it's not a true locker in that it tightens up clutches untill it locks. There is the possibility that the clutches could slip when they should be locked and over time they can wear out.

I don't have any experience with them myself. Just what research I've done.

Comment

What did you end up getting? Whats your opinion of it? I'm trying to weigh all my options.

Comment

Not sure you understand the mechanics of the ected...
        When it's not locked your right it's a normal auburn ltd slip that uses clutch plates to apply graduated traction to the slipping wheel.
        In the lock mode, it is a spool. It mechanically, with a big electro magnet, pulls the clutch pack to a fully locked position.

Now that being said, they do require rebuilds of the clutch packs over time but your average jeeper will probably only need to do it every five years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by adventure bob
          In the lock mode, it is a spool. It mechanically, with a big electro magnet, pulls the clutch pack to a fully locked position.

Now that being said, they do require rebuilds of the clutch packs over time but your average jeeper will probably only need to do it every five years or so.
          Ya thats right. But small magnet with a mechanical advantage, like a ball and ramp.

I wanted an Eaton E-locker. But setteled for an aussie. Am very pleased so far, but I also have lockouts.

If I were to do it again I think I would go ARB front and Rear. Not a fan of the air system, but if you do it right and carefully install it they are reliable. I would have a port to attach a CO2 bottle like from my paint ball gun as a backup for the compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by oros35
            I wanted an Eaton E-locker. But setteled for an aussie. Am very pleased so far, but I also have lockouts.

If I were to do it again I think I would go ARB front and Rear. Not a fan of the air system, but if you do it right and carefully install it they are reliable. I would have a port to attach a CO2 bottle like from my paint ball gun as a backup for the compressor.
            I looked at the Eaton but they don't have it available for the D30. I just destroyed a ez-locker so this time I'm looking for a full housing thats selectable, just not sure I want air either.

Comment

We just had the Ected locker installed on the front of our XJ, and I trust 4WD and our friend/Jeep mechanic to not steer us in the wrong direction. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I agree with Brad. The clutch packs bother me about the Ected. I have heard recently that Eaton is finally releasing the E-locker for the D30 but then again they have been saying that for 4 years now. I don't like the idea of pneumatic lockers because of a number of issues friends have experienced with their ARBs. I guess until Eaton finally has D30 E-Lockers I am gonna stick with my Aussies.

Comment

I've seen more Eatons fail on the trials then ARBs!

Actually, I've NEVER seen an ARB fail, and EVERY Eaton I've seen on the trail has failed!!

I've never had a problem wiht my ARB, I wouldn't run anything else in the front. I'd run one in the rear, but the spool works well for now!

Comment

According to their site theyre out. As far as the clutches, again, it's around a five year thing for your average jeeper. They also have a swap program, you send them yours they send you one with a new clutch pack so your not down and youre not rebuilding it.
                    As far as the Ected goes, youre right the problem is the same as the locker in the Rubis: its not that big of a magnet and therefore its not that powerful of a return spring. This means that if you have ANY torsion on the system it will not unlock when you hit the button. We found the same issue with the Lockers in the Rubis weve test dirven: we could never get it to unlock with any steering input on it or a load. The ARBs have an 85lb spring in theirs and they will open nearly every time you unlock them. Really twisted sterring uphill and on the gas they wont let go but generally theyre pretty good about coming undone. OX on the other hand is directly connected to the cable and will unlock if you apply pressure no matter what the load or steering is doing.

Comment

I've seen ARB's fail, but it was almost always an install error or compressor/air system failure. Occationally the main O rings give out, but it's cheap to service, just labor intensive.

My Eaton failed, Don't have a good reason why other than simple mechanical failure. It appears to be a rare type of failure for the 8.8 locker. They also made some design changes to the magnet for the new ones. D60's had problems with an undersized part that has been fixed. D44's had problems but I think most of the bugs have been worked out. D30 problems for the prototypes seem to be lack of space. Hard to make something stout enough in a case that small. And the other problem is lack of resources for production.

The ARB seems to have the least problems, other than it's difficult to install and it's prone to air source problems (not to mention the whole system is $$)

OX lockers seem quite stout, but the cable is vunerable and places to put it is limited.

Big tires and clutch packs scare me away from the Ected.

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
                        Actually, I've NEVER seen an ARB fail, and EVERY Eaton I've seen on the trail has failed!!
                        What about LotGods, and there are a few others I recall. Even though it might have been an install error, it still broke.

Comment

Originally posted by oros35
                          What about LotGods, and there are a few others I recall. Even though it might have been an install error, it still broke.
                          I dont see that as an ARB issue. Putting an O-ring in the wrong spot, and then putting 140psi through it, its going to mess it up! The locker was fine, he just had to put the oring in the right spot.

I was sold on the Eaton till I saw yours break so quickley!

Comment

After all this discussion I'm even less sure which way to go. Maybe I'll just leave it open and use the peddle on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
                              I dont see that as an ARB issue.
                              I see it as an ARB issue, they are complex and can be difficult to install. Unlike the eaton which is as easy as an open carrier plus 2 wires.

Comment

Working...
                              X