X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool project!
    A little polishing and it's like new ;o) what do you plan on doing?

Comment

I plan on giving it to my son when he turns 16 in 3 yrs.. so a good father son project, going to lift it 4 inchs 32's .. and just make it look nice and drive good. Same with the CJ5 .. its going to my youngest son he's only 10 so I have more time for that one. But if you ever wanted to see 2 excited kids... you wouldn't have to look much further then here. I think the 2 jeeps were worth $225 bucks. I'll have pics of the CJ5 soon. If all goes well 4WD isn't far from the house so, I will be saving on the shipping charges and we all know sometimes shipping becomes another part you could have had.

Comment

I know, I have to pay shipping to Germany whenever I buy somthing from 4WD and recently just for fun added all the shipping I ever paid for Jeep parts and it would have bought me a long arm lift and a set of tires already....

Great idea to make those CJs projects with your kids. Keep the pics coming

Comment

I've been where you are and all I can say it it cured me of ever wanting to do it again.

Comment

Really? I thought it a good idea. I'd do it with my daughter when she's a bit older.

Comment

I hear ya joda, If it wasn't that I enjoy tinkering and fixing things I wouldn't have even thought about taking is on... but I do it for a living, and I do these kinds of projects with a couple of friends of mine ...bottom up builds, mostly chevys ...but this is the first Jeep project I've ever takin on... so its a challenge to myself and the 2 friends plus son that are going to help. I'll keep pics of the build as we go.

Comment

Looks like you'll be ordering LOTS of parts!

Comment

Yup, from what I have put in the list so far we are up to $6,200.39 ...and thats with no motor or transmission/transfercase or driveshafts ...everything else is in the buggy. Every bolt, screw, wire will be new the diffs are good, new 4" lift kit, 5 17inch rims, 5 32" tires all new dash and instruments, shifter, weatherstrip kits, body bushings, fenders, fender flares, floor pan complete, and both side panels from JEEP logo back plus hood and grill....ect..ect.. I know a guy who has a motor, trans and transfer case.. just need to see if he will come off it, clean it up and do a tuneup on it and see what we got. I think total investment should be around $7,500 max. Over a period of 3 yrs. I hope I can get atleast a free 4WD t-shirt or hat when I come in and lay down those big chunks of cash.
                  Last edited by Ikillintel; 02-24-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

your son will never forget the time you spend with him on that project , i have some experience there . 4wd is a great resource to have so close , they were great to me when i did my cj7 . have fun with your build and keep pictures coming , we love to see the progession

Comment

No offense, but how in the heck is Rutherford County, NC close to 4WD?

Comment

Originally posted by Ikillintel View Post
                        I plan on giving it to my son when he turns 16 in 3 yrs.. so a good father son project, going to lift it 4 inchs 32's .. and just make it look nice and drive good. Same with the CJ5 .. its going to my youngest son he's only 10 so I have more time for that one. But if you ever wanted to see 2 excited kids... you wouldn't have to look much further then here. I think the 2 jeeps were worth $225 bucks. I'll have pics of the CJ5 soon. If all goes well 4WD isn't far from the house so, I will be saving on the shipping charges and we all know sometimes shipping becomes another part you could have had.
                        none taken ! when you said 4WD isn't far from the house and you would save on the shipping ..................did i get it wrong ?

Comment

Ikill
                          just make sure your son does most of the wrench twisting. I remember 45+ years ago working with my Dad on a motor swap and all I did was hold the trouble light. Got pretty good at it though LOL. Good luck it with the bumps you encounter along the way.

Comment

My father did this for me when I was young. We spent 2 years redoing a 77 camaro from the ground up. We had lot's of fun and lot's of arguments over how the car was to be done. I would not trade this time with my father for anything, its is something I plan on doing for both of my kids. My son wants my 92 f150 that is in storage and my daughter wants my jeep. I will have to find her, her own jeep though. I hope you create lots of good memories!!!

Comment

Wow, what a cool Jeep and a fun build up. Lots to work with there. Too fun. Mine was a total, and got it for free if I towed it out of the wrecking yard. It took 2 years to get it up and working sound but ended up being my favorite Jeep of all 26 I've had, of all time. Its 20 years now and it so rocks. It was a fun build up. Yours is well on its way when you get started as everything is there. Here's mine:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7504907_n.jpg

Can't wait to follow your rebuild. Too fun.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X