X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifting an 83 cj7

I bought an 83 cj7 that is factory. No lift and running 30-10.50-15's.
    My goal is 35-12.50-15" with a 4" lift. Will it be better to buy a kit or individual parts? What about one piece axles? And best brand of kit and shocks? How do you insert pictures? Sorry I'm new.

are you doing a only suspension? or a combo body-suspension? or a spring over?

it will take more than 4 inches to clear 35s. I have 3 and clear 33s and they barely stuff..

-goat

Comment

I was going to use 2" body lift with the 4" suspension lift and 1 1/2 hd shackles. what do ya'll think?

Comment

You will easily clear 35"s with that combination.
        I run a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift with a 1" body lift and have never rubbed even when fully articulated.

As for 1 piece axels... Popular brands are Superior, Yukon, and Moser.

Comment

I have never had a problem with only 5.5 total inches of lift.

Comment

you will need to watch the inside when you turn mine rub but I don't know if it is because it has previously been rolled at a high speed.... jeep+ice+speed=very bad!

Comment

Don't forget to check your RAR. If you put 35s on you will want the lowest ratio (highest numerically) you can get for your axles. At least 4.11 or 4.56 if you can find them.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Can someone tell me how to post pitcures?

Thanks much

Comment

lifting an 83 cj7

ya i agree with the rest of the gang...i have the same sombo right now and can clear 37's with no rubbing at full articulation

Comment

I have a '83 CJ-7 with 35 x 12.50-15's on 10" wide wheels. 4" Trail master heavy duty suspension lift, stock length Con-Ferr shackles which are supposed to give maybe 3/8" lift. NO body lift. Personally I hate body lifts, they look extremely cheesy. Huge gap from frame to body looks terrible. I am however running a fiberglass tub which I think sits a little higher on the frame than the steel one did. Any way I am very happy with it. I can send you a pic if you like.
                    I also have one pieces Superior axles installed in the rear, happy with them also.

Comment

I have gap guards on mine so you really can not tell that it even has a body lift...great stuff...look very good actually, only with that I had some custom nerf bars to cover it up even better(bend up slightly)...anyways...good information

Comment

FYI -

On my CJ, I had a 3 1/2 susp lift and another 1 1/2 in shackle lift. The 35s sat on 10 inch rims and cleared ok. With the factory flares, I had cut them down for wide turns, but once I added the wide flares, all was ok. hth

Dave

Comment

Maybe I am just getting old and losing my nerve but how stable are these CJ's with 4-5-6 inches of lift? Do you do much highway driving? I don't rock climb but I haven't found anywhere I couldn't get to with the application of some fore thought. Don't get me wrong I would love to stuff 35's and do a 4 inch lift just for the cool factor but It just don't seem safe.

Come to think of it, I am getting old.......

Comment

Traveler. A CJ-5 on 35" tires may be a little squirly. My 7 does just fine with 4" suspension and 35" tires. I do take it down the expressway and run 70 - 80 very comfortably. But the extra 10" of wheel base help.

Comment

I put a 4" BDS suspension on my 81 CJ-7 with a 1 1/2" shakles. I also used Skyjacker shocks. I have 35"x12.50" tires and I no clearance problems at all. I picked the BDS suspension because of the lifetime guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                              X