X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator converted to a Alternator

I just bought my first Jeep this last summer and have done some work on it. It is a 1960 CJ-5 willys and has a few problems. I just rebiult the carb. and my suspension is broken in the back so i cant take it offroading anywhere without the tire grinding up into my wheel well. Anyways back to my subject.... The generator in it is bad, and a guy that is apprenticing me in mechanics has a ford 1980 F-150 (not sure if that is relivent or not) alternator that puts out about 60 amps...I think my is suppost to put out 40, but whith just the engine running it barley puts out enough amps to keep the battery charged, if i turn on the lights i loose battery power same with the heater....but i was wondering if it would work if i did convert to that alternator, and if you guys had a diagram for it??? I am not sure what my boss said exactly I forgot, but he says he needs some kind of diagram to be sure everything will work right or something like that. I am sort of illiturate to this stuff... but if i could get some help that would be great. Thanks

Over My Head. Sounds like one for the old jeep heads.
    Last edited by redtail; 01-31-2007, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Buy an alternator for a 78 chevy pickup and use the same diagram. Same alternator as the later model CJ's.

Comment

Told ya they would know.

Comment

It wont work witht hat other alternator??? if it doesnt that is fine ill just goto a junk yard...

Comment

OK. I started thinking here. Older jeeps ran a 12v DC system. As the generator ran faster, the lights were brighter, the wipers worked faster, on and on. They had generators which produced 12 vots with a voltage regulator outside of the generator that kept the volts around 12, If the engine was running fast enough to produce it.When the engine was at an idle, you wern"t getting quite 12 volt's so every thing was dim, or wipers would barley move. As the engine rpm would increase so would the speed of the wipers or the brighness of the lights as would the voltage. Thus the invention of alternating current, alternators which produce a steady AC voltage all in one.Give me some feedback guys if im wrong.
            Last edited by redtail; 02-01-2007, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I'm sure it could be done, putting in the ford alt. But the nice thing w/running a chev alt. is there are already brackets for them made for Jeep motors, therefore making the install easier. Try the ''search'' feature on this forum, with keywords like generator upgrade, or altenator swap. I know you can do away w/the voltage regulater w/a chev alt. Good Luck.

Comment

Put a one wire GM alternator, it is used in many generator to alt conversions on old tractors. The part number that I got at Carquest was a 71-1127-1w12n. they also could order a 100 amp version not sure of the part number..

Comment

The classic Jeep forum might yield better results when searching for upgrades for the older CJs.

Hands down the easiest swap is the Chevy 1-wire alternator. They were used (in one form or another) from '74-'86 in almost every GM vehicle produced.

Comment

Yep, one wire conversion. If you need a wiring diagram for the jeep I do believe that Haynes has one for your year jeep.
                    Just take out that generator crap. I hate that stuff, my father still runs his. I have the conversion in my jeep(82), I wired it that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X