X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Front Axle Looking to install TJ shafts

I got 94 wrangler I was looking to get rid of that vacuum 4wheel drive. i heard rumors about installing TJ axle Shafts. But I can't find enough Information for me to perfom This. If anyone can help me out. What all needs to be done and what kind of parts do I have to purchase. And Any help to where to get this parts will be helpful Thanks For all help

You need Tj shafts...and a seal for the pass side up close to the diff...I forgot the part number but this is covered so much it should be easy to find.

Comment

the stock tj inner axle shaft seal won't work for the tj shafts
      you need seal part number 11800 (chicago rawhide) or same from another company
      the lockright in the front you may notice ratcheting around bends when you turn if you're straight-shafted but when driving in 2wd it should release the whole time because there won't be any torque going through the system

I got this information from bsterwart91yj. Check it out on the Thread started "Cheap Homemade Posi Lock"

I am thinking of doing the same swap on my 91..

Comment

i did a few of these conversions on a couple of YJ's including my own
        works great plus you get to upgrade to 297x U-joints when you go with TJ shafts
        this also allows you to add the outer axle tube seals too...i would strongly reccommend adding these to your setup

Comment

Please do a mini write up on this. I would be very interested in hearing the outcome and how easy/hard it was.

Comment

TJ Axle Shaft Conversion for YJ disconnect D30

The TJ front axle shaft conversion in a YJ is a very simple process and can be done with simple backyard mechanic tools.

Parts needed:
            TJ front axle shafts
            One TJ inner axle seal for driver side (you can use your old YJ seal, but why not change it while you're in there?)
            One CR seal part number 11800 or comparable

Parts reccommended:
            Superior outer axle shaft seals

Process:
            Remove wheels and brake assemblies
            Remove hub/bearing assemblies
            Remove disconnect vaccuum motor/shift fork
            Remove axle shafts from both sides (discard shift collar)
            Remove splined insert inside the disconnect housing in the left axle tube
            Remove axle seal inside the disconnect housing in the right axle tube
            Remove differential cover
            Remove carrier (keep bearing caps on the same side and keep top on top/bottom on bottom
            Remove driver side axle seal and replace with new seal
            Install CR seal number 11800 inside the passenger side axle tube right next to the carrier (just like the drivers side)
            ***Be sure to put some gear lube on the inside of the new seals where the new shaft will ride so they do not leak
            Re-install carrier (be sure to keep bearing caps exactly as they were and torque to manufacturers specs)
            Make a flat plate to cover the opening where the disconnect motor was
            (seal with RTV silicone and hold in place with the same bolts you took the motor off with)
            Install superior outer axle shaft seals
            Install TJ axle shafts
            Install hub/bearing assemblies
            Install brake assemblies
            Install wheels/tires
            Grease outer axle shaft seals with grease gun and waterproof grease

GO OUT AND WHEEL!!!

Tips to remove old axle shaft seals:
            I found that a long 3/8" drive ratchet extension inserted from the outside of the axle tube is the best to remove the old seal

To install the new seals I used a 1" pipe inserted from the outside of the opposing axle tube and a socket that fits neatly inside the new seal. The passenger side seal will take a good beating to get it to seat correctly since there was never a seal in there before. I have never had any problems with leaking on either side of my front axle and neither has any of the other Jeeps that I've done this conversion to. Any more questions just pm me and possibley if you're close enough and you have beer I'll come and give you a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bstewart91yj
              The TJ front axle shaft conversion in a YJ is a very simple process and can be done with simple backyard mechanic tools.

Parts needed:
              TJ front axle shafts
              One TJ inner axle seal for driver side (you can use your old YJ seal, but why not change it while you're in there?)

Parts reccommended:
              Superior outer axle shaft seals

Process:
              Remove wheels and brake assemblies
              Remove hub/bearing assemblies
              Remove disconnect vaccuum motor/shift fork
              Remove axle shafts from both sides (discard shift collar)
              Remove splined insert inside the disconnect housing in the left axle tube
              Remove axle seal inside the disconnect housing in the right axle tube
              Remove differential cover
              Remove carrier (keep bearing caps on the same side and keep top on top/bottom on bottom
              Remove driver side axle seal and replace with new seal
              Install CR seal number 11800 inside the passenger side axle tube right next to the carrier (just like the drivers side)
              ***Be sure to put some gear lube on the inside of the new seals where the new shaft will ride so they do not leak
              Re-install carrier (be sure to keep bearing caps exactly as they were and torque to manufacturers specs)
              Make a flat plate to cover the opening where the disconnect motor was
              (seal with RTV silicone and hold in place with the same bolts you took the motor off with)
              Install superior outer axle shaft seals
              Install TJ axle shafts
              Install hub/bearing assemblies
              Install brake assemblies
              Install wheels/tires
              Grease outer axle shaft seals with grease gun and waterproof grease

GO OUT AND WHEEL!!!

Tips to remove old axle shaft seals:
              I found that a long 3/8" drive ratchet extension inserted from the outside of the axle tube is the best to remove the old seal

To install the new seals I used a 1" pipe inserted from the outside of the opposing axle tube and a socket that fits neatly inside the new seal. The passenger side seal will take a good beating to get it to seat correctly since there was never a seal in there before. I have never had any problems with leaking on either side of my front axle and neither has any of the other Jeeps that I've done this conversion to. Any more questions just pm me and possibley if you're close enough and you have beer I'll come and give you a hand.

Dude you should get a pulitzer prize for that

Comment

[QUOTE=bstewart91yj]The TJ front axle shaft conversion in a YJ is a very simple process and can be done with simple backyard mechanic tools.

Parts needed:
                TJ front axle shafts

Did ya compare the two seals, didnt they look just alike as far as inside/outside diminsions? The axle conversion isnt as hard as it seems.
                And why waste the time to make a plate just remove the guts outta the shift motor and reseal it.

Comment

Just call Randy's Ring and Pinion. They have a kit that includes a custom block off plate and an assortment of seals (one of which will fit your axle) The passenger side inside seal seat is not machined in the disconnect axle so fitment is a trial and error process. You do have to remove the dif housing to install the seal. I installed end seals as well as the Warn axle disconnect kit while I had things apart. The hardest part was taking everything apart. (I couldnt resist the temptation to replace the ball joints and steering gear as well as beadblast and paint the knuckles before reassembly (I also added a lockright while I had it apart) The TJ axles slide in place with no problems at all. Just remember to plug the open vacuum lines after you remove the vacuum motor. A 5 llb mallet worked better than my slide hammer for loosening the bearing assembly from the knuckle.

Comment

Why would I need TJ shafts?

i did a few of these conversions on a couple of YJ's including my own
                    works great plus you get to upgrade to 297x U-joints when you go with TJ shafts
                    this also allows you to add the outer axle tube seals too...i would strongly reccommend adding these to your setup
                    Why would I need TJ shafts? I have ABS on my 93 YJ which I have been told means that I already have the 297x u-joints. Other than the vacuum disconnect would they really be stronger or more reliable? The outer axle tube seals, is that the greasable ones that keep dirt and water out of my axle housing? If so, could I get them with my current YJ axles? thank you for any help.

Comment

The TJ shafts eliminate the vacuum disconnect making the axle a little stronger. If you already have the larger U joints you would only need the passenger side inner axle shaft and the proper seal. The axle tube seals are supposed to keep dirt and moisture out of the axle. Since the axles don't have a polished surface for the seal to meet (like the inner seals do) I'm not sure of how effective they are but they do look pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis
                        The TJ shafts eliminate the vacuum disconnect making the axle a little stronger. If you already have the larger U joints you would only need the passenger side inner axle shaft and the proper seal. The axle tube seals are supposed to keep dirt and moisture out of the axle. Since the axles don't have a polished surface for the seal to meet (like the inner seals do) I'm not sure of how effective they are but they do look pretty cool.
                        Is this something that I could get at a junk yard? What I mean is that most aftermarket kits have the outers and everything else. I wonder if I could just use the passenger side inner axle from a TJ d30 and fab or buy some kind of block off plate and put it all back together, with my cool & hopefully functional axle tube seals

Comment

good luck finding them in a yard that will actually let you take a shaft only out of an axle...i looked for a month before i decided to just buy them
                          Last edited by bstewart91yj; 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=hmr-rsq]

Parts needed:
                            TJ front axle shafts

Did ya compare the two seals, didnt they look just alike as far as inside/outside diminsions? The axle conversion isnt as hard as it seems.
                            And why waste the time to make a plate just remove the guts outta the shift motor and reseal it.
                            the seals are not the same because like stated already the YJ inner axle tube isn't machined for a seal. the cr seal i used has worked perfectly on every conversion i've done so far. the plate only took 4 minutes to make with a torch and a drill press...the disconnect motor housing has holes in it for the vaccuum that you'd have to plug off (not a big deal but i wanted to do it so it looked nice and i knew it wouldn't leak.

Comment

If you look around you can find guys selling used stock axle shafts (usually after they replaced them with an upgrade) I bought my axles from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I had to get the complete axle from them even though my hub kit had its own outers. Still they were less than $250 for the set. The block off plate is pretty simple to make if you have a band saw and a drill. Just cut a piece of aluminum to fit and drill the holes. You will have to buy the custom seal though for everything to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X