X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Topic about Tires

OK I am looking to get some new tires... Have my mind pretty much made up on what I am going to get, but there are 2 styles of tires that I can get and one of them I have never seen the tread pattern for. Has anyone seen or dealt with Gillette WideTrac Baja's? I am probably going to try and cram some 32x11.50/15s under my Jeep if the pattern looks good, if the pattern doesn't suit me I am going with Gillette Kodiaks in a 31x10.50/15. If anyone has seen, hasd a link to where I can see, or has dealt with these tires can you let me know. Thanx.

never heard of em, anyways, good luck, be sure to post picks.

Comment

I will get the pics as soon as I get the tires. Has anyone tried to fit 32x12.50/15's under a pretty much stock suspensioned YJ? I have 31's right now and it looks like i can fit the 32's with no problem, but the extra 1 inch on each side of the rim is what i am concerned about. I know when I hit a bump I will get a fender to tire loving happening but not sure how much.

Comment

your gonna need a body lift. My flares rubbed my 31's when i was stock. some fender trimming works wonders though. I can tell you the easiest way to do it if ya like.

Comment

Yeah I had some rubbing on the top of the tire and the upper fender flare. I was more concerned with the steering and suspension parts rubbing the tire. (SAWZ-ALL will take care of the other rubbing issues). But seriously... I figured the upper rubbing would occur, but a lift can take care of that, main concern was side to side rubbing.

Comment

side to side isnt realy an issue. I never even changed my steering stops. I do recomend getting a hook bladed utility knife (the blades are used for shingles and carpet) they work REALY well to cut the flares. just a lil at a time.. they groove right in and cut smooth.. better then the sawzall or dremmel on flares anyway. I'd definately get a 2" body lift if I were you. (actualy I have a 3" on mine) there cheap, easy to install, and make a world of diffrence as far as rubbing goes.

oh.. and where the hell in NC are you??? I'm over in Greenville... you near Fayatenam??? If yer close enough and need any help with anything I'd be more then happy.

~Mike

Comment

Yeah I am down here on the north end of Cumberland Co., north of the Nam and Bragg. Probably what I will end up doing right now is throwing some shackles on for a quick 1.5 lift and then once I get further down the road, I will go with the springs.

I also did finally get to look at the widetrac baja's today... had to go to the warehouse... amazingly they look alot like the kodiaks... so now it is just a matter of wanting to go bigger or stay the same size... still debating but ya know.... bigger is better lol.

I am thinking of ditching the rimes and tires i have now... so if anyone is looking for some AR-39's in 15x8 let me know.. have 3 matching tires with good tread and one that id brand new

Comment

rubbing

Right now I have 31x10.5x15's on my YJ on stock rims and get some rubbing when I make a sharp turn. Maybe try some wheel spacers or a rim with a little less back spacing. Good Luck

Comment

OK got new tires today... decided to stick with the 31x10.50/15's due to spare tire issues (i.e. didn't want to buy a 5th tire). The tires I have are Gillette Kodiak A/T (decided to stick with A/T's instead of a M/T, cause most of my driving is on the road). They have a pretty good tread pattern to them. No road noise pretty much. I am running 15x8 rims with decent back spacing so no side to side rubbing issues. Bryan, I really suggest aftermarket tires with the 31's, daytona style wheels are pretty inexpensive and look good too.
                  I also mounted another set of driving lights on the front bumper and 2 tow hooks. (no hooks on the back end yet, having mounting issues, i.e. where to mount them where they will fit). also found a speaker box for under 35 bucks so i threw that in... after I put out the fire and rewired the stereo it sounds pretty good (pulled a hot wire loose putting the speakers in). pics are on the way soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X