X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possum festival

Took my grandbaby....the one I talk about a lot......to the 37th annual Possum Festival in the huge town of Wassau Florida { One flashing traffic signal }. Somebody else posted the receipt for a Jamacain sauce but we had Baked Possum, sweet taters, corn bread and collard greens. They had grits but we didn't get any. We saw the BIG parade...a couple of firetrucks from some vol. FDs and some drunks on 4 wheelers. We left when it got to hot and missed the hog calling contest and the rooster crowing contest. There was fried catfish and bbq. There was fiddle playing and an all girl singing group but it had two guys in it too. Can ya hear the banjoos playing along the river...deleverance.

Oh that's NOTHING like the annual festival of Coon Dog Day in Saluda, NC, just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live.

Comment

Hey I love these things...there are real people having fun. I'm looking forward to Mule Day in Georgia. Oke tails, grits and greens with music. Man I love that stuff. Been to the Bahamas when I could dive and love the fun. I even have several its to make fire with flint and iron. Man I love the old ways. It feels better and it tastes better. Grits, eggs and side meat with a biscut......me and all my grandbabies would be living high on the hog.

Comment

One of the best experiences my kids ever had was a county fair in southeast Ohio... it was a small-town affair, nothing big or flashy, but my kids got to see the livestock being prepared for judging (my son and daughter even got to help shampoo a sheep!), and talk with the owners, so the two-way exchange of information was really valuable.
        I enjoy country cooking too, but haven't had the experience of 'possum.
        But let me sit down with a mess of fried okra, and I'm doin' fine!

Comment

i always like the apple festival in ellijay georgia.

as red neck as i am, i just don't think i would knowingly eat a possum. i think i'd rather canibalize someone than eat a possum.

Comment

If it was real possum I wouldn't know cause I've never had it before but it tasted a lot like dark pork. But I had to try it. Ever had real chitterlings....not bad tasting once you get over what they are made from. Try eating real cajun blood boudain with natural gut casing.

Comment

i have no problem with eating wild animals. i hunt and eat what i kill and process the meat myself. but even in the best mccormicks marinade, i just wouldn't want to eat it. kind of like eating a rat burger. yeah you could, but why?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy
                Ever had real chitterlings....not bad tasting once you get over what they are made from.
                Those I've managed to dodge.

But I've had haggis more than once.
                It's really a great dish... but reading the old recipes will turn your stomach ("take the small bag and the large bag, wash them, fill with a mixture of oats, and the chopped liver and lights...")

Comment

Garlic feast in Gilroy is about the best thing we got on the west coast.
                  Man I love Garlic icecream

Comment

ya, well nothing compares to the mosquito festival in clute, texas. here in texas we got 'squiters the size of junebugs. ya, they're everywhere too. i thought i'd let y'all know that when i was a baby i won the baby crawling contest. yessir, i was a born winner. lol. lemme tell ya how.

several months before, my family went to seaworld. it was insanely hot and the only thing to drink was coke. so my parents had to give me cocacola to keep me from dehydratin, which is especially bad for a baby. so i became addicted to that shiny red bottle from the gitgo. my parents had a plan for this contest. my mom held me at the start with the other mothers. and my dad was at the finish line, but he had a secret weapon. most parents called to their children to come to them and none did. but noooo, not my parents. nothing of the sort. my dad held out a coke bottle and shook it to entice me. let's just say that the NHRA would have been proud. my dad wrote a letter to the coca cola corporation suggesting a commercial but instead they sent him free coke and informed him that he caused many laughs around the office. i still have my trophy to this day. it's a mosquito made out of a spark plug, chicken wire, and nails. yup. just thought i'd let y'all know about another small southern git together.

Comment

TEX, beleive it or not, I've been to the Mosquito Festival in Clute. I have a cousin that's the Principal at Brazoswood HS.
                      Now you need to come over here to celebrate the return of the Yellowjackets to Luckenbach, Texas. An annual celebration

Comment

theres quite a number of good ol festivals over here in GA, i was redain threw this thread and yall mentioned how much yall enjoyed some of em and it made me proud to be both born and riased here.

Comment

maybe i'll do that when i get a wrangler and we can go wheeling too.

Comment

Working...
                          X