X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 Timing cover

I'm building an 89 258 with a 4.0 head to go into my 86 CJ. A machine shop assembled the short block for me, and with the new timing set, the timing cover doesn't fit. Does anyone have experience with this or know how I can work around it?

Ken

What do you mean new timing set??????You did get the cam timing gears and chain for the 89 block. You are using the 258 timing cover???????

Comment

The new timing set meaning cam sprocket, crank sprocket, and timing chain. Yep, I'm re-using the original timing cover that came with off the motor when I disassembled it. The new cam sprocket and timing chain are slightly wider than the originals.

Comment

i'm just guessing but you probably need the new cover to go with it...i'm thinkin' if the old one woulda fit it they'da left it right...so just get the new one from 4wd Hardware...it's probably pretty cheap

Comment

Originally posted by kcr121
          T The new cam sprocket and timing chain are slightly wider than the originals.
          If they aren't the same sixe I wouldn't put them on. Get the same thing as you had on the motor.

Comment

4.0 4.2 timing chain covers

hey what luck- i just happen to have one of each sitting on the floor, the block is at the machine though. using a alingment punch the holes look to line up. There are a few slight diffs though. like the chain tensioner/damper in the 4.0 and one of the mounting holes is taller for the location of a bracket- ac/alternater. it would be the center one to the far right.
            4.0 on the bottom
            http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...007-1-1018.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...007-1-1016.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...007-1-1015.jpg

are the new gears for the 4.0 or 4.2? are they steel or nylon? i think if you get a wider cover that will change the camshaft end spring and acc mountings. i could try to get you a specific dimension if you tell me where it hits before you buy one, but it sounds like the gears are the problem not the cover.

Comment

Why are yopu trying to put the 4.0 timing gears and cover on the 258 block???????? You uses timing gears and cover for the 258 on the 258 and the 4.0 head goes on top. are you using the 4.0 push rods or the 258 push rods????????

Comment

You're misunderstanding, GPER. I'm using a 258 timing set (cam sprocket, crank sprocket, and chain) and a 258 timing cover. The only 4.0 components on the engine so far are the cylinder head and pushrods, and the only additional 4.0 component that will be installed is the exhaust manifold. The old 258 timing cover will not fit over the new 258 timing set. What else is strange is that the timing cover I've got looks like the picture of the 4.0 timing cover that str8country posted. It's got those 2 little tabs that I think are there to prevent the timing chain from slapping as it loosens up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken

Comment

OK my only other thought would be may be they put the wrong gear set in the box. I replace the timing chains and gears in my engine and my spare engine this summer and had no issuses

Comment

Originally posted by GPER
                    OK my only other thought would be may be they put the wrong gear set in the box. I replace the timing chains and gears in my engine and my spare engine this summer and had no issuses

or that someone has swapped the engine before this guy bought it.

Comment

OK, got an email from the guys I bought the rebuild kit from this morning. They're saying, "When you rotate the engine the cam sometime moves foward which doesn't allow the timing cover to go all the way on. You need to push the cam back into the block." Could it really be this simple? I'll try tomorrow; can't get to it tonight. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Ken

Comment

I would have thought that the cam would have slid back in while you were pushing the cover back on. Anyway the cam gear should be pretty close to the block. Do you have the cam bolt with the hole in it and the spring??????

Comment

Hello gents, the parts house statement on cam moving forward is pratically impossible. The distributor gear/camshaft connection will not allow this movement as a rule and the lifters being preloaded against cam also prohibit this. We sell Mopar Perf double roller chain sets and they fit in stock timing cover, so I think any one that is right should fit. As usual I could be wrong on this. Another thing as an FYI most CJ timing covers did have provisions for a nylon rub block(the two tabs I believe was mentioned before) but starting in YJ years (not sure which one) they used the cover with tabs.
                          Last edited by woody; 01-04-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

woody,

The distributor isn't installed yet, so isn't this still a possibility? I won't have time to fiddle with it for about a week now, but I'll let you know if the cam isn't fully inserted.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X