X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Door Removal

How do I go about removing the doors on my wrangler. First off, how do I get them off normally, but second, how do I do it legally? With new mirrors and such...Thanks for your reply in advance!

their should be a nut at the bottom of each hinge...take that off and pull (hard) you may need some WD-40 or some weasel piss (PB Blaster) to help ya out, i had to get a piece of wood and put it on the bolt and hit up with a hammer. as far as legal...it all depends on what state u live in, in ohio i believe u only need one mirror (rear view mirror) but dont quote me on that, there are pieces called mirror movers they will mount your mirrors so when u take your doors off the mirrors will be on your windshield hinge, i think they are 20 some bucks!

Comment

The first step is to break off all the nuts on the door pins. They won't just unscrew that would be too easy. And I would wiggle the door open and just while pulling up. Just be ready when they do come off. My full doors are 55lbs. Maybe shoot some wd40 in there first. I don't know about the mirrors, I don't use any and I don't think its a problem since you have your interior rear view mirror.

Comment

Don't break the bolts off!

Just unscrew them, you have a 2005 they shouldn't be rusted yet. And do what G Tar Man said twist and pull the door up.

If your worried about the paint chipping on the nuts, get one of them handy little wrenches 4WD sells. They work pretty good, unless you remove them frequently like I do. I just leave the nuts off now when I put the doors back on.

Comment

I dont think he literally ment break the nuts off, he meant they are on there pretty good and you need to break them loose.

Comment

I think he meant break them off because in 3/4's of the time on my Jeep, the "breaking" loose literally meant that.

I did get one sad, solitary nut off unscathed, after soaking them all with PB repeatedly.

This is one of those odd design things that makes owning a Jeep such great fun!

Comment

Just make sure when you get the nuts off you arent so excited about getting your doors off that your drive off with your nuts sitting on the fender. Happened to a guy i knew yeah not good

Comment

Listen to all the good stuff above (except busting the nuts off) and one small hint...unhook the strap from the inside of the door first...it is a biatch to start to lift the door off, only to have that strap pull tight....(and yes, to understand that one had to have done it...once)

Comment

Originally posted by Buster
                  Listen to all the good stuff above (except busting the nuts off) and one small hint...unhook the strap from the inside of the door first...it is a biatch to start to lift the door off, only to have that strap pull tight....(and yes, to understand that one had to have done it...once)
                  Good point Buster cause none of us have ever done that....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Buster
                    ...X3

Comment

Yeah, I don't mean purposely break off the nuts. It just seems to happen. My jeep had lots of surface rust, from road salt, when I got it.

Comment

As far as side mirrors go you can buy a quick release mirror (if local laws require) that slips inside the hinge and clamps in place. got to keep 50 happy

Comment

to had one hell of a time removing my doors it's a 98 that had never had the door off, bolts removed and alot of wd40, nothing worked, until a friend from here actully placed his knee under the door close to the hinge and pushed up on it with the force of his knee and it came off pretty easy, i had to do it myself a few times to get it loose enough.

Comment

I used a sledge hammer and a center punch. Regular hammer didn't even work.

Comment

I would imagine if the 5-0 gets you, it'll be a fix-it ticket. I've run with teh doors off and had cops wave. Your visibility is 100 times better in a Jeep with the doors and top off than in any other vehicle with 20 mirrors.

Throw caution to the wind.......just don't pee into the wind!

Comment

Working...
                              X