X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold start issues.

i have a 2001 xj 4.0 auto and when the weather is cold (usually around 30 degrees) i have a cold start problem. it cranks really slow like a bad battery but i have a brand new optima red top in it as well as new battery terminals and i replaced the ground side cables and the positive checked good. and to get it to start i have to give it a little throttle. has anyone else experienced this problem?

thanks all

have you tested the starter? i bet it would fail. take it out, go to a parts store that has a tester and find out.

Comment

yea that was going to be my next thing to try.

Comment

starter checked good turned out to be the brand new optima red top i had was bad.

Comment

Did you buy the red top from Advance Auto or Autozone? I had the same problem. They replaced one or two and now the one I have has been problem free for years (knock on wood).

Comment

i manged to get both of them for free from where i work.

Comment

i heard from my optima supplier they have been having quality issues for the last 2yrs, its been hit and miss... but their quality is coming back up..

Comment

yea i heard the same thing where i work we use them in soil compactors and some of them last with no problems and some of them have been replaced a couple times in the first 100hrs of operation.

Comment

what is the CCA on that red top?

Comment

1000cca

Comment

No where near 1000 CCA more like
                      Standard 12 volt battery with 750 cold cranking amps and a 104 minute reserve capacity. Features dual posts for side or top mounted cables. 9-15/16 l x 6-7/8 w x 7-13/16 h and weighs 39.5 pounds.

Every red and yellow top i have had craped out after the first year or two. I got tired of taking them back. So i said screw it. I bought Exide Extreme Cycle Duity batteries. They are great you can run them completly dead (like I have many times). Through a battery charger on it and they come back to life with no problems. They still run strong after many years. They also have 950 CCA

Comment

Sounds to me more like a user issue.

Blue Top - '00 XJ - 5 years
                        Red Top - '93 Caravan - 6 years
                        Yellow Top - '98 XJ - 3 years

Only one I ever had problems with was with a red top that I used for too much winching, then I went to a blue top and no more problems.

Comment

the first one that died was almost ten years old and was killed alot in an old roll back tow truck so there was no shame in that one going bad and the other one i do not know why it went bad it must of sat on a shelf too long or maybe bad quality.

Comment

sorry i took a guess i didnt have it sitting in front of me at the time and i wasnt going to go looking for it.

Originally posted by xjjeep98 View Post
                            No where near 1000 CCA more like
                            Standard 12 volt battery with 750 cold cranking amps and a 104 minute reserve capacity. Features dual posts for side or top mounted cables. 9-15/16 l x 6-7/8 w x 7-13/16 h and weighs 39.5 pounds.

Every red and yellow top i have had craped out after the first year or two. I got tired of taking them back. So i said screw it. I bought Exide Extreme Cycle Duity batteries. They are great you can run them completly dead (like I have many times). Through a battery charger on it and they come back to life with no problems. They still run strong after many years. They also have 950 CCA

Comment

i really dont care about you opinion.

Originally posted by rstarch345 View Post
                              Sounds to me more like a user issue.

Blue Top - '00 XJ - 5 years
                              Red Top - '93 Caravan - 6 years
                              Yellow Top - '98 XJ - 3 years

Only one I ever had problems with was with a red top that I used for too much winching, then I went to a blue top and no more problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X