X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Installation

Is it posible to install your own new shocks without having access to a garage, etc.? Or is it something to let the garage take care of?

It is a fairly simple changeover from stock to aftermarket shocks. Basic handtools and some penetrating oil. A bench vice helps when installing the bar pin eliminators in the new shocks.

Comment

If you enjoy working on your car, it's an easy job. Use the money you save on garage labor costs to upgrade the shocks.

Comment

I take it that you dont know alot about working on cars and trucks? IMO, If you do it yourself, it will be not only a learning experience, but you will appriciate it more.

Comment

Do it yourself and it will give you a chance to get a good look under your Jeep. You will find where things are located which will give you a better understanding of what they are and how things work. Give it a try.

Comment

Yup, easy to do anywhere. You just need a basic set of hand tools (standard and metric, up to 3/4 and 18mm wrenches and sockets) and a vise.
            The rears can be done with the tires on and just sliding under it. The fronts can be done with the tires on, but is much easier with the tires off, so you need a jack and jackstands to do it properly.
            Just make sure you spary all the nuts and bolts down for a few day before with a penetrating oil (PB Blaster is my favorite, but they all work) to make it easier. If it is your first time, plan on 3-4 hrs.
            HERE is a good write up on shock instalation.

Comment

I think off hand, they are 15mm bolt heads. But more importantly as Blu states; jack stands and floor jacks make it more easy. My stomach is too large for me on the rear shocks, and I have to use the stands, along with 12inch extensions for my ratchet and socket for the upper bolts. Good Luck and get started doing your own!.

Comment

thanks a ton guys, i did it all myself yesterday, about 4 hours, the front ones were a pain in the butt, but it is done, i didn't use any spray lubreicant or anything though. but its done
                thanks all. you've been very helpful and i do feel more confident working on my own jeep now, the light bar is next...

Comment

A couple of 3/4 wrenches and a saws all. Upper stud on the fronts cut off clean. Lower bolt may need help. Rear upper a pain, but doable. Lower may have a risk of the insert sleeve of the shock rusting to the bolt. Had to cut the shock off the bolt. * Attempting to Cut the bolt just schredded the blade (hardened steel).

Comment

Originally posted by todd4jeep
                    thanks a ton guys, i did it all myself yesterday, about 4 hours, the front ones were a pain in the butt, but it is done...
                    Man I'm good!

Originally posted by Blupupher
                    ... If it is your first time, plan on 3-4 hrs.
                    Congrats. You always feel better when you have done it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by todd4jeep
                      thanks a ton guys, i did it all myself yesterday, about 4 hours, the front ones were a pain in the butt, but it is done, i didn't use any spray lubreicant or anything though. but its done
                      thanks all. you've been very helpful and i do feel more confident working on my own jeep now, the light bar is next...

you should start using spray lube or something becuse when you break a bolt its gona suck

Comment

Working...
                      X