X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small bearing Ford 9"

I have an opportunity to pick up a 28 spline 9" for cheap, so I'm probably going to jump on it. I know that a majority of the 28 splines have the small bearings, but some 2WD's had the big bearing Torinos. Would I have anything to worry about if this axle turned out to be a small bearing? I plan on running 35-36" tires MAX.

Anyone with a 9"?

Comment

Well, just doing a quick search I don't see anything about the 28 spline being a problem, and I read on 1 site that you can even upgrade to 31 spline with a diff and bearing change.

Comment

Yup! blupupher

is right! The small bearing 9"in isnt gonna give ya any trouble unless you you do alot of clutch dumping/skinny pedal hammering. Ya know anybody needs one I still got mine.

Comment

Thanks a lot fellas. I'll look into the bearing swap a little more.

Comment

Just go ahead and get yourself a torino big bearing 9" you can almost trip over them in junkyards for about 100 bucks or so. the torino's are 31 spline and you can mod 8.8 disc brake set-up to fit them very very easily, im in the process of doing it i need to pick up another brake setup cuz my buddy bought mine off me cuz they droped his and bent the holy livin crap out of his set up. Might as well build it right the first time. also big bearings are more common to have the nodular 3rd member which are stronger but are still hard to find. and my buddy uses "hey i got a big bearing 9 incher" with the ladies all the time haha

search "ford 9" and look for the one that i started there is some good info on there from ralphxj and a few others.

Comment

Lets clearify that alittle!

Originally posted by 98sahara
              also big bearings are more common to have the nodular 3rd member which are stronger but are still hard to find.

"Not so true" on the nodular They come only in high HP fords ie: Boss mustangs, Cobra Jet Torino's, etc. If you find one in a stock car or truck then its been added in after factory. Add they command big bucks! One thing to look for is extra ribbing on the front pumpkin near the pinion area, also there will be a "N" stamped in the webbing. But if "U" find a pumpkin w/ the extra webbing and no "N" then you've got yourself a "war" housing. It'll be stamped inside the the inner part of the casing, right near where the bolt flange is. and the part # should either start with the words "war" or end with it. Same goes for the "N".
              search "ford 9" and look for the one that i started there is some good info on there from ralphxj and a few others.

Hope this helps some!

Comment

Originally posted by hmr-rsq
                Hope this helps some!
                they were also used in some FE equipped Ford 1/2 ton 4X4 pickups (http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm)

Comment

Thanks Dude

all those years of drag racing with a FORD nut father-in-law I thought I had learned it all. Thanks.... When this guy passed away he probably had half a mil. in HI-PO ford parts in his garage.

Comment

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind with the Ford 9's, is that they were used in so many diffrent cars/trucks/vans for so many years, that its hard to know exactly what came in what.

Comment

ya the war thats what i ment. It was a long night last night and i wasn't paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X