X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• four wheel drive grinding?

I was driving home tonight in the rain and i decided to put it in4 wheel drive for a min. but when i pulled the lever and it was in 4wd it sounded like it was grinding not loud really kinda like a hum. not sure if its normal not dont remember if my other one sounded like that or not.

oh yeah its a 99 115,000 miles

Comment

Unless you have the NP242 transfer case (aka Selec-Trac), I wouldn't put it into 4WD unless you're in slush or dirt. Even with rainy roads, I don't think there's enough "slip" for the tires. If you have the NP242, it's ok to put it into 4WD Full Time for rainy roads.

Comment

yeah i just threw it in for a few seconds my 30. i havent put in in 4wd for awhile just felt like pulling the lever.

Comment

1. how fast were you going when you were driving? 2. you will be fine in 4wd on drive pavement as long as you arent making sharp turn or going 60mph. Hell, welling in moab trying to make turns on slick rock, that stuff is stickier than pavement, and you'll never see anyone popping it our of 4wd.

Comment

i was doing about 45 wasnt really a grinding more of like a hum.

Comment

Did you pop it into 4wd @45 mph or just drove it 45mph after it was in 4wd? And did you go all the way to 4lo or just 4hi? If you havent changed fluids in your tcase in a while/ever, that would be a good idea.

Comment

i just pulled it strait into 4wd. and not into 4 low I no better than that. I dont no if the fluids were ever changed i bought it used at 95,000 miles. its on my list of things to do. I have it done before winter gets here.

Comment

I only engage 4wd when I'm stopped. I enjoy my gears meshing nicely and lasting a long time. You can engage 4wd when going under 30mph? I think? Haven't read the owners manual in awhile.

Check your fluid. It's a lot cheaper to do that a transfercase swap.

Comment

i have never done it before. so i might just take it somewhere and get it done. dont feel like messing it up

Comment

Originally posted by vinnnnyyy View Post
                      i have never done it before. so i might just take it somewhere and get it done. dont feel like messing it up
                      Changing your oil is hard compared to checking the t-case fluid level.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/DSCF0083.jpg

Underneath the t-case nameplate (the silver/red thing) there is a 10mm hex "screw". Unscrew it. The fluid should be level with the bottom of that hole. Stick your finger in there and see what color it is. Should be a fairly bright red color.

Comment

thanks man ill def cheack that out.

Comment

Working...
                        X