• Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 Front Axle Seal Replacement

CAN AXLE'S BE REMOVED WITHOUT DESTROYING U-JOINTS. WHERE CAN I GET
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS OR SCHMATIC FOR REPAIR. I HAVE A 1984 CJ7 WITH SCOUT
    DANA 44 AXLE'S DO NOT NO WHAT YEAR THEY ARE. HAD FRONT CALIPER AND ROTOR
    REMOVED BUT DID NOT KNOW HOW TO GET AXLE OUT TO REPAIR SEAL. APPRECIATE
    ANY INFO ON HOW TO DO.
    Last edited by Duff; 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM.

What Jeep are you working on? And yes you can take the shafts out.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaBizz View Post
      What Jeep are you working on? And yes you can take the shafts out.

Busta, you slipping there?
      He said it an 1984 with scout front end.

Comment

I guess after he changed his post.

Comment

Remove hub assembly it will take a spanner wrench to remove the nuts inside the hub. Then you will see 6 bolts in a circle 3/8 or 7/16 heads if I remember right. Remove them you will most likely have to tap the spindle housing a few times using a soft faced hammer to break it loose from the knuckle. Once these are removed the axle shafts should pull out. Be carefull re installing as there are seales inside the housing right by the carrier. Assembly is reversed make sure that the center washer between the 2 spanner nuts is installed correct there is a small pin that needs to be lined up with the holes in the washer its a pita sometimes try installing washer both ways turn inner nut with pin untill it seats torque outer

you will have to remove the carrier to replace the seals on a front 44 make sure you keep the shims with the right sides other wise it will change your r/p setup unless there is some short cut that I am not aware of or is it just your hub seals leaking ? is oil leaking out of the tube or from behind the hub

hope this helps
          Last edited by 1BAD YJ; 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BAD YJ View Post
            Remove hub assembly it will take a spanner wrench to remove the nuts inside the hub. Then you will see 6 bolts in a circle 3/8 or 7/16 heads if I remember right. Remove them you will most likely have to tap the spindle housing a few times using a soft faced hammer to break it loose from the knuckle. Once these are removed the axle shafts should pull out. Be carefull re installing as there are seales inside the housing right by the carrier. Assembly is reversed make sure that the center washer between the 2 spanner nuts is installed correct there is a small pin that needs to be lined up with the holes in the washer its a pita sometimes try installing washer both ways turn inner nut with pin untill it seats torque outer

you will have to remove the carrier to replace the seals on a front 44 make sure you keep the shims with the right sides other wise it will change your r/p setup unless there is some short cut that I am not aware of or is it just your hub seals leaking ? is oil leaking out of the tube or from behind the hub

hope this helps
            Just so that you know.. some scouts have 8 bolts holding the spindle assembly on.. it just depends on what the front axle was taken out of.

also... if you would like a manual that will cover the D44 send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy (it is .pdf format)

I also have the complete service manual giving step by step processes to doing work on the D44 axles...

well actually they cover pretty much all the dana axles...

and if you are not sure if it will cover your axle, just give me the numbers that identify the axle and I can look it up for you, and usually get a date range for a particular axle.

I will gladly send anyone a copy that would like one, but you just have to PM me your email addresses....

--Dusty
            Last edited by Zoediak; 04-12-2008, 03:19 AM.

Comment

the spindle nut has a lock nut on it that is usually held in place by three screws that require allen wrenches to remove. you'll see 5 holes, three will have allen screws/bolts and two are for sticking a punch in to spin the lock nut off.

then use a spindle nut socket to get the main nut off.

remove the hub and caliper plate.

the axle should now slide out. the ujoint will slip through the outter knuckle with no problem.

i just did this last week, it took me a half hour to figure out that there were allen bolts in those tiny holes that were filled with grease. after that the other side took me about 10 minutes total.

Comment

Dana Axles

Zoediak Thank You For The Axle Manuals Will Help Out Alot.

Comment

no problem.. any time...

I should just make a link to a zip file for all the manuals... hmmm.. if i get bored, i will just do that...

glad they can help

Comment

Working...
                  X