Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel play / vibration in steering wheel

Hello,

Ok, just noticed something in my new Jeep (06' Wrangler). When I get up to 30mph to 40mph I get some serious side-to-side feedback in my steering wheel. When I get above 45mph it goes away. If I hit the freeway and go 45mph + (took it up to 75mph) it was all fine. Any ideas ? To my knowledge, since I know very little about Jeeps, my Jeep is stock other than the 33" Mickeys and rims; the rest is just bumpers, intake, etc ... Any ideas ? Do I need to balance the wheels ? Or is there something I need to eliminate this ? I believe the suspension is stock 2006 so is adding 33" tires to the stock suspension OK, or is it too much stress on the stock setup ? Any help or information would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Could be tires need balanced but check your tie rod end links and all your bushings in the front end to see if you have any play or wear (track bar, control arms, drag link, tie rod). Being an 06 I highly doubt it's your ball joints or steering stabilizer.

Comment

What should I look for on the tires ? Just take it into a tire shop and have them check the balance ? Do I need to go somewhere special since they are 33" ?

Also, I checked the previous owners receipts and he reported a vibration in the steering wheel .... maybe the same thing but the dealers response was that it was because the tires are "cupped" ? What does that mean ? Sorry, I'm a newbie

Thanks,

James

Comment

about any tire shop can balance your tires. It sounds like you have the dreaded "Death Wobble" most of the time from what I have read and heard, it almost always turns out to be the front track bar is usually loose or wore out.

Comment

I don't know what it means by "cupped" but when I bought my Jeep the person had Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on it and apparently rotating the tires wasn't in their schedule. Soo my tires wore all unevenly and the fronts were feathered and whenever I went above 40 mph I got some serious wobble in the steering wheel. New tires now, and that problem went away. You could take it to any tire dealer and ask them if you need them balanced. The size shouldn't matter.

Comment

sounds like you may need new tires -- my tires recently developed a few "flat spots" and as a result my jeep rode like a sherman tank and sounded even worse. Then i put on my new 33 x 12.50's and SHAZAM , rode like practically new. Good Luck !!

Comment

It's not the death wobble, don't worry, you wouldn't be able to drive it if it was. Again, since it is all stock it is something worn in the front, either bushings, end links, or doubtfully ball joints. Just check everything in the front, make sure all your bolts are tight and bushings are not worn, also check your CA bushings, make sure they are not worn. Like Mrfast said any tire shop can handle 33's, thats a standard full size truck tire. Do the balance after you check everything, save some $$!

Comment

Do you think something could already be worn in the suspension at 21k miles ? Just seems a bit early for stuff to wear out on almost a new Jeep. Doesn't look like the previous owner took it off-roading.

Any other ideas ? What about the steering stabilizer ? Worth getting a better one ? Like I said it only is bad from 35mph to 45mph, before and after that it is smooth; very strange.

Thanks,

James

Comment

It could be the steering stabilizer, but before you replace that I would have your tires balanced and the front end aligned. About your suspension, parts can go bad at anytime, just because it is new doesn't mean it can't be faulty, but yeah it's doubtful that would be the problem since you said it is in the steering. Chances are it needs an alignment, if your steering wheel is slightly turned one way or the other when your wheels are tracking straight it is definately out of alignment. If you have wheeled it and not realigned it I can almost guarantee that's what it is. But the steering wheel does not have to be off for it to need one, that just means your drag link is not adjusted correctly. Not to be repetative, but if you checked everything and it looks good go with alignment, balance, and then try a new stabilizer. Let us know if that doesn't work. Also check your gear box and make sure there is no play in that. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTJeep View Post
                    sounds like you may need new tires -- my tires recently developed a few "flat spots" and as a result my jeep rode like a sherman tank and sounded even worse. Then i put on my new 33 x 12.50's and SHAZAM , rode like practically new. Good Luck !!
                    Also, like hot and jet said, it can also be tires if they are not inflated to the correct psi they can wear unevenly which can cause some vibrations. Check the wear on them and make sure they are wearing evenly. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the tips. What is the correct psi ? I know it isn't the max but say 10 below max psi for daily driver use ?

Also another question came to mind. These are mud and snow tires with an aggresive pattern. I know this will add to the noise but what about the vibration and play ? I was thinking of getting some ATs for daily driver use and then using these for my off-roading times ? Don't know if that would help at all.

Thanks,

James

Comment

Originally posted by Cribby View Post
                        Thanks for the tips. What is the correct psi ? I know it isn't the max but say 10 below max psi for daily driver use ?

Also another question came to mind. These are mud and snow tires with an aggresive pattern. I know this will add to the noise but what about the vibration and play ? I was thinking of getting some ATs for daily driver use and then using these for my off-roading times ? Don't know if that would help at all.

Thanks,

James
                        You will have to check what the tire co. recommends for psi but a rule I stick with is somewhere between 5-10 below max, may not be completely correct but I have never had problems with tires. About your tires they can cause small (steady) vibration but not what you are referring to, the only real advantage to at's is better MPG and no road noise.

Comment

Dealer just called and told me I need a better steering stabilizer than the stock one; that is what is causing most of the vibration. They checked for anything loose or out of sorts and all is good so they said this should fix the issue.

Makes sense to me but I'm new to all of this.

Thanks,

James

Comment

Sorry

I am posting this late so sorry. I would have suggested the steering stabilizer like the dealership said. I know that the Skyjacker Hydro is a huge beast. A club member has one with his 5.5 RE long arm kit and doesn't have a prob with it.
                            Last edited by lilboy1023; 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I sent you a pm...

Comment

Working...
                              X