X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Mirrors - ARGH!!!

it seems every time I close a door (fact half-doors) or hit a good bump, my mirrors (driver and pass) move just a bit, so after a day of poking around and such, thei are pointing up and out. I am always asking the wife to "pull the mirror in and down please", and you know how it is when you ask the wife to do something...

I pulled the little boot up and down but can't find a way to tighten the damn thing. I was thinking about shooting acetone or thinner unto the joint to remove the grease or whatever is in there, then a little vinegar to rust it up...Through better of it though, since there HAS to be a solution.

Is anyone else plagued by this problem? What have you done to resolve it?

BOP, can you spell check this for me? - Wait, he does't read this portion of the forum...

Haha, Yeah, I've got that problem with my passengers side mirror. And my wife isn't any better at adjusting the mirror than yours from the sounds of it.

The drivers side is great. I can slam the door and it stays. As a matter of fact, the foldaway will give before the mirror adjusts in most cases. The passengers side will lean over if I look at it funny. It would be easier on me if it were the other way around.

I haven't taken the time to look at it, so I'm not in any better of a situation than you.

Comment

On the underside of the mirror there should be two screws that hold the ball type joint together. Tighten up these screws and the mirror shouldn't move around so easily.
      http://www.geocities.com/mrroboto4/100_1489.JPG
      Last edited by JeepinChobot; 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinChobot
        I do believe that on the underside of the mirror there should be two screws that hold the ball type joint together. Tighten up these screws and the mirror shouldn't move around so easily.
        x2...just tighten the bolt on the underside...you'll find it is nearly impossible to move easily after that.

Figured this out when I took them apart and moved them with the re-location brackets.

Comment

mine too. it always gets hit by a tree on the trail so that loosens it up. thanks for the tightening info

Comment

Thanks a ton for the info. I'll be doing that tonight!

Comment

CAUTION: Watch you don't tighten them too tight or when you hit something on the trail with them they will bust instead of folding in.

Comment

Very true.

I'll take a pic when I get back to my Jeep for illustration purposes.

Comment

Picture added into previous post

Comment

Damn...Good thing those screws arent rattlers....

Comment

Working...
                    X