Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 wont start up

hey guys,
    a bit stumped here. got an exhaust leak where the manifold exits into the first pipe. got that solved no problem. in the course of doing that, changing the oil and filter, air filter, and a damaged vacuum hose connector, the engine wont start up. its turning, but no go. fuel is good, lots coming through in the carb.

It could be a vacuum issue with one of the lines i was repairing. but can a vacuum leak prevent the engine from starting up?

There was also a lot of oil in the old air filter, and the PCV filter inside the air filter was covered in oil. could a pcv issue be causing this? regardless, does this mean my pcv valve is shot?

Finally, could the most likely situation be that i knocked something on the carb, and now its out of whack?

really not sure what else is could be, considering it was running like a champ up until i did this stuff.

Are you getting spark at the spark plugs? Are you using the stock distributor? Maybe a wire off the coil or distributor when the filter was changed?You need spark, fuel and the right timing of the spark.

Comment

Spark is the correct place to check next. If you're getting spark and fuel you might want to go over what you changed. Place a heavy towel over the carb to keep all air from going in. If it starts it will stall right away but that will tell you its a mixture problem. A bad vac leak will prevent it from starting as will a choke that's not closing all the way.

Comment

Might also be an exhaust restiction, maybe a clogged cat, that would explain the leak blowing out the manifold. Check to see if you got exhaust coming out while cranking. things you need for engine to run ....Air flow, spark, gas

Comment

If the cat is clogged the motor will at least attempt to start... it doesnt sound like thats the case.

Did you mess with the distributor at all? Possibly just knocked the wire off of the coil that feeds the distributor? Ive done that before.. bumped it, and it looks like its still connected because of the boot, but it got dislodged. Also, if you took the distributor out and put it back in, were you sure that it went back in the same way? you need to make sure that the #1cyl is at TDC on the compression stroke and set the rotor to the #1 cyl firing position

Comment

well took another shot at it today. went to turn it over hoping it would start up, and it started after a few seconds, but then just died. checked my spark, its fine, and checked my wires to and from the distributor, and they are all good.

just remembered, after i tightened up the exhaust and replaced the vaccuum parts, it fired up, and i was able to drive it up and down the street. then parked it, and a few days later it wont start up.

checked vacuum lines, and they all seemed fine. fuel is still coming out of the carb, but it smells like its flooding, and it looks like gas is coming out somewhere around the lower part of the carb. is that normal? or should i be looking for a leak between the carb and the manifold?

Comment

When was the last time this thing actually ran? If its been sitting for a while, especially in a dirty, dusty environment, the carb could not be operating properly. Gaskets get old and dont make proper seals, as well as tiny passages get blocked from dirt, grime, and soot. Just another thought.

Again about the Distributor? Was it taken out and put back in?
              Last edited by UPJ Wheeler; 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

it was running as of a week ago. distributor was not removed or even touched.

and here is where it gets even better. went to work on it again today. air filter and housing were off, and when i went to start it up, it fired right up the first time, and was running perfectly for at least a minute. shut it down, and then tried to start it back up, and its hesitating and sounding awful. makes me think this is carb related.
                Last edited by fremontcj5; 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I've had weird problems like that in the past. If you get stumped, it might be the ignition box. They can go bad on a moments notice.

Comment

You may visit this site and check if this can help you: http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...ont-start.html

Comment

The part you mentioned here worries me...
                      Quote "There was also a lot of oil in the old air filter, and the PCV filter inside the air filter was covered in oil. could a pcv issue be causing this? regardless, does this mean my pcv valve is shot?"

I think you have an ignition or fuel distribution problem, but gasoline can wash down the cylinder walls and you lose compression-car won't start.

just my 2 cents worth....

Jeff

Comment

excessively oil soaked air filter and breather filters indicate a pcv or compression/blowby problem with the engine....I'd do a compression check and see what your reading are.

Comment

Originally posted by nogoatz View Post
                          excessively oil soaked air filter and breather filters indicate a pcv or compression/blowby problem with the engine....
                          thats what i was worried about. Back to trying to fix it this weekend. I will replace the pcv valve first, then check compression, then check ignition/fuel (again). thanks guys!

Comment

so good news and bad news.

good news is that its running again. found a few loose manifold bolts near that rear of the engine. i think once things got warm, and the carb opened up, and there was too much air in the mix. so i tightened those back up, and it runs good once again.

bad news is it looks like there is still an oil leak in the rear, but when is a jeep not leaking oil? haha. Also, feels like i am still getting hesitation on throttle. I am going to be check compression and carb adjustments tomorrow.

Comment

I use carb cleaner to spray around the manifolds and carb to find leaks easier. Might help.

Comment

Working...
                              X