X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackles?

I just put a 4wd 4" kit on my 77CJ7. It looks like I am going to have to put the transfer case lowering kit in because I have vibration. I did not order shackles prior to install because I wanted to see the ride height, look at drive line issues, and see how the original shackles worked with the military wraps on the lift springs. My shackles were in horrible shape and I need to put new ones on right away. Does anyone have recommendations for zero lift (so I don't have anymore driveline issues), greasable, better quality than stock (not hard to do), and will work with military wrap springs aside from these?

http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...asp?pid=402173

Everything I've looked at has lift aside from these....

gnarly

I'm also considering those shackles,,, sorry but I can't give them a rating yet, guess I'll need to stay tuned to this thread

Comment

I just have the factory side plates and new bolts on mine

Comment

I have one that is bent, gotta replace them all.

Comment

I might have a set laying around if interrested

Comment

A lift?

Originally posted by gnarly
            I just put a 4wd 4" kit on my 77CJ7.
            A lift???? Post some PICS! I wanna see some freakin' PICS!

Comment

I you look really closely....you can see blackwater in the first pic. If anyone is looking for some good help with their lift kit he's the man. My 31's look like something out of the Fast and Furious under that lift but tires are next after.......cv drive shaft.....one piece axles for the rear....shackles of course....etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
                I might have a set laying around if interrested
                New or used....stock? PM me on it. Thanks Fuzz. You are always helpful.

Comment

I may be wrong on this but I was told by a local guy that lifted shackles can actually help correct driveline angle problems. I put a 1.5 inche shackle lift on mine because I wanted more height, but also to hopefully correct the driveline angle when I get to that point. Am I wrong on this or is there any truth to it?

Comment

Gnarly
                    I just used the standard 4wd ones on the CJ5 they work just fine.

Comment

I think we have a couple things to clear up. A stock CJ shackle is 3" from to hole to bottom hole, and as a rule a stock CJ shackle will not clear military wrap springs. Our 4WD HD CJ shackles are 3-13/16" from top hole to bottom hole. These will only give approx. 3/8" of additional lift. The way we advertise is slightly confusing on some of these shackles since a 1" longer shackle(how we advertise) will only yield 1/2 of that length since the axle is in the center of the spring not at the end where the shackle is mounted.
                      Greasable vs. non grease.
                      This depends on the owner and location. Dirt, sand and so on will act like a file on poly bushings and will wear them out early. The grease is there to seal out dirt and purge dirt that enters, but that only works if you grease them.
                      Its like u-joints if you are a maintinence type person greaseable is money well spent, if you'r not a mantinence person by the non-greasable and save the $
                      FYI: We also carry M.O.R.E HD shackles that will clear military wrap springs and give 1/2" of lift over stock. There are also several good brands that we do not carry to consider too!

Comment

Originally posted by athenscj5
                        I may be wrong on this but I was told by a local guy that lifted shackles can actually help correct driveline angle problems. I put a 1.5 inche shackle lift on mine because I wanted more height, but also to hopefully correct the driveline angle when I get to that point. Am I wrong on this or is there any truth to it?
                        Only if you have too much caster. Usually a shackle lift lessens the caster angle making your jeep wander more.

I pulled a shackle off one CJ that 12" from eye to eye. it actually hung lower than the axle.

Comment

But does cater angle really have that much to do woth the driveline angle? I know that caster is a wheel and steering alignment issue, but I didn't think that driveline was affected by this.

Comment

Well a little bit. It will raise or lower the angle on the yoke also.

Comment

I put a 4 inch susp on and 2 inch shackles on my 82 CJ 5 and i had no vibe problems. I did put a drop on my T case though and i might be different cause of the years.. But those shackles allowed for 35's!!!!
                              Last edited by BigOCj5; 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X