X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2" vs 4" lift?

I have a 00 TJ with 33 x 12.50's. I am debating about whether to go with a 2 ( a real good one) or 4.5 inch Rubicon Express lift. I am concerned about top heavy issues. Also, I hope to be installing ARB's this fall with new gears. It is not a daily driver but we so use it to get around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
    Thanks in advance!

The bare minimum for no rubbing with 33" tires is 3" of lift. If you go with the 2", you'll need a 1" body lift for the extra clearance. The 4.5" may yield slightly more than that depending on weight, which is more than you need for 33"s. The first option is cheaper and keeps the COG lower. The second option leaves room for larger tires later on. FWIW my brother runs the 4.5" lift w/33" tires and it doesn't seem top heavy. If it was constantly off-camber on rocks, it may be more noticable, but rocks are hard to find around here.

What 2" lift are you looking at? BB or new springs?

Comment

I know alot of people who couldnt be happier with the rubicon express 4.5! I would go that direction, but then again its a texas thing...bigger is better!

Comment

You wont be dissapointed witht hte rubicon express lift. It is top notch. If you have the money then i would seriously look into it. If you are using your jeep, then eventually you will want to go to a larger lift if you install the 2". IMO i would just save the hastle and get the 4" now.

Ryan

Comment

Why not the 3.5" RE lift? Its significantly cheaper (save the money for the SYE), not quite as tall, and will still happily clear the 33"s.

Comment

Actually getting the 4.5 with 3.5 springs is the best way to go. The 4.5 comes with adjustable uppers which you will need if you get a SYE anyways. Plus having a new front track bar is really nice instead of drilling a new hole...

Comment

I have had the 3.5 superflex from rubicon for over a year and I wished I had saved up for the 4.5 or even 5.5 since i want to go bigger now. and with the 4.5 you'll be able to clear 35's. I can clear 35's with bigger bump stops. But with the 4.5 a sye/ds will be needed since it will net 5+" of lift at first and may stay that way. I would either save to get the 4.5 extreme or superflex. thats what i'm looking to get here pretty soon.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The 4.5 is a bit of $ but I am thinking it is worth it. The problem is I need to convince my wife as she has a problem getting in now. (too high) What, if any, disadvantages might I encounter with the higher lift?
                I have had this TJ for 2 years now and only started wheelin seriously in the last 12 months.
                So the next big change will be ARB lockers and regear . What should I look at for regear if I plan to run a maximum of 33 12.50's?

Comment

What size engine do you have, and is it an auto or manual tranny?

Comment

To address the wife getting in issue, get some of the velcro-on roll bar handles. My wife thinks they work great to pull herself up into the Jeep. As an added bonus, they're pretty cheap too.

Comment

your running 33's stock?

Comment

Hey you live in portland oregon thats close to me... hmm the only downside i see with the 4.5 lift with 33 inch tires is that much lift might make the 33's look small. Haha but if you have the money go for the 4.5 inch long arm kit by RE that would be a sweet rig i mean you would probably get 5 inches of lift depending on what else you have such as a winch or heavy bumpers plus long arm kits are just really really cool if you have the money cause they are spendy

Comment

It is a 4.0L auto trans.
                          Thanks for all the input!

Comment

well with a 4.0 and auto transmission you wont have to regear but i would. If you plan on upgrading to 35's in the future save yourself the trouble and get either 4.56 or 4.88 gears now. If you dont plan on upgrading you can get slightly smaller gears...

Comment

Working...
                            X