X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20

Replacing all the leaking seals on my tcase. I need to replace the two shift rod seals and gasket that goes between the t-case and the part that unbolts from the actual housing that shift rod seals are in.What can I expect when I unbolt this?

it is not that bad. i am doing mine now. Here is some info i found.
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...uild_guide.htm
    this one is real good..
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...20/index2.html
    http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/t-1...25/index2.html

Comment

Thanks a bunch thats exactly what I need to know!

Comment

You gotta tear it down. If you do, go ahead and order the rebuild kit and output shafts for the front and rear and go from 10 spline to 30 (29 maybe I can't remember) and swap out your yolks. Take the time to go ahead and tap out the case where the breather is and put a brass fitting on it. Then you can run the breather to the engine compartment. Course....I'm spending your money.

Comment

From what I see I dont believe I have to tear it completly apart just to replace the gaskets and seals?

Comment

Sorry dude, I was thinking you were replacing all of your seals, not just the rail seals. I'll read better next time You are right, that shouldn't be bad at all.

Comment

Ok well started to replace everything today.I removed the front yoke and nut and unbolted the housing from the t-case but I cant slide it off the shift rails.Whats up with this? My case has two orange plastic plugs where the poppet balls are suppost to be with no spring or poppet balls.I have a 74 cj-5 also that is also just like this. Whats up with that?

Comment

did you remove the set screw on the shift fork

Comment

Yup thats exactly what i did.Thanks!

Comment

Are there threads in the holes that the plastic plugs were in? They might be crudded up, so, you'll have to clean them to see.

If so, you may have a dana 20 from a full size jeep. Sending units, or switches, screw into those holes.

I have a d-20 from a FSJ, and it had the plastic plugs in those holes. Those are better transfer cases to put twin shifters in. They don't have the poppet balls.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by rixcj View Post
                      Are there threads in the holes that the plastic plugs were in? They might be crudded up, so, you'll have to clean them to see.

If so, you may have a dana 20 from a full size jeep. Sending units, or switches, screw into those holes.

I have a d-20 from a FSJ, and it had the plastic plugs in those holes. Those are better transfer cases to put twin shifters in. They don't have the poppet balls.

Rich
                      Really, that is good to know. I have the 20 out of my 78 cj and it has the orange plastic plugs and threaded.
                      How does the twin stick work? does it give you the option for 2wd hi low/ 4wd hi low?

Comment

Here's a little info for you...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/d..._twin_stix.htm

This article states that there is no 2-wheel low, due to the poppets.

With a d-20 from a FSJ, there are no poppets, so there IS 2-wheel low.

You have to be sure that you know what your d-20 came out of, because the CJ d-20's are different that the FSJ d-20's, and each one has their own specific twin shift kits.

Some guys make their own.

If you Google "jeep cj twin stick", you'll get a lot of info.

Rich
                        Last edited by rixcj; 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Well the poppet balls are under the shift rods and not on top like I thought. One of the springs is broke in half so im going to need to get a new one but having trouble finding them. 4wd has them but come in a kit with stuff I dont need.

Comment

Working...
                          X