X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine running too rich

hi i've got a 1990 wrangler with a 2.5l engine. lately, it's been running very rich. what i was wondering, is this a computer problem since the computer controls the fuel mixture, or could it be something else? also, every time i start it up in the morning or when i'm leaving work, there is like black soot on the concrete or asphalt where the tailpipe aims down too, and like water (black color) that slowly drips from the tailpipe. anyone know what my cause this problem and what may fix it? someone told me to get the engine "de-carbonized" but wasn't sure what that really meant. do you think this may fix the problem?

i was checking some other forums out, and anyhow i think i may have found the problem. i recently put in a 160 degree thermostat from a 180, because that was all Pep Boys had that day, and i had to replace it in the parking lot. anyhow, now that i realize it, i did start smelling the engine running too rich shortly after the change. could this be the problem? the forums also said that a 190 thermostat is standard for a jeep, is this correct?

however, the black soot has been happening well before the whole thermostat change, so im not sure if thats a whole different problem in itself or what.

Comment

Isnt that thing carburated?

Comment

no its throttle body injected (TBI)

Comment

Originally posted by braves3331
          hi i've got a 1990 wrangler with a 2.5l engine. lately, it's been running very rich. what i was wondering, is this a computer problem since the computer controls the fuel mixture, or could it be something else? also, every time i start it up in the morning or when i'm leaving work, there is like black soot on the concrete or asphalt where the tailpipe aims down too, and like water (black color) that slowly drips from the tailpipe. anyone know what my cause this problem and what may fix it? someone told me to get the engine "de-carbonized" but wasn't sure what that really meant. do you think this may fix the problem?
          Mine does this too, I don't know what the problem could be. Its done it as long as i've owned it. I would like to find a solution too.

Comment

Sometimes its the O2 sensor that cause a computer controlled vehicle to run rich. If the sensor fails the computer defaults to "limp home mode" which is full rich. If your running the wrong thermostat it could also cause a problem by tricking the computer into thinking the engine is still warming up. Your mixture and timing are controlled by your computer which relies on sensor imputs for data. If it doesnt get correct data the engine will not run as designed.

Comment

also if you do alot of short runs like you start the jeep up take off and go like less than a mile and then turn it off... if you do that continuously that will cause the jeep to seem to be running rich!

Comment

that 160 t-stat would cause that problem, i would start there.

Comment

Working...
                X