X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new (old) dana 44 *56k warning, pics*

Well, I think I overpaid for the dana 44 I recently bought on craigslist... It was my fault, I was out of town and worried that I was going to miss it, so I had a buddy of mine that knows jack about this kind of stuff pick it up for me. I just have to learn the hard way every time. I didn't ask enough questions, and my friend missed some pretty big red flags (not his fault).
    So here it is:
    http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1788.jpg
    And the worthless (was welded, before all the welds broke) carrier:http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1795.jpg
    And the gear lube+water+metal chunks that spewed forth upon opening: Notice the great color of the oil draining off the cover mating surfacehttp://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1800.jpg
    And the worthless Grand Cherokee disc brake conversion: I was going to ask on the forum if the brake pads always wear this way on this conversion, but figured out why they wore so badly after I got the calipers off. The caliper piston is worn like it was run without brake pads for a while... I don't think I will be able to use any of the brake system that came with the axle, so I will have to start from scratch anyways. I might be able to reuse the rotors, but haven't mic'ed them yet. Even the caliper mounts look bent.http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1789.jpghttp://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1792.jpghttp://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1802.jpg
    At least the shock mounts are enough to make any farmer happy:http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMG_1793.jpg

So, in short, I was looking for a project... and holy shirt did I find one. $450 for a bare axle housing, plus $50 for my buddies fuel to get to Portland and back, plus $80 for my fuel to get to my buddies house and back (slightly offset by the fact that I had an excuse to visit a friend), comes out to a $500.00 + axle (housing) that is going to take another $1500.00 minimum, plus days of sweating, cussing, and knuckle-busting to build... Why didn't I order a brand new one with the locker/gearing/brakes of my choice???? Because I wanted to save money

Ahhh but you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself now
    Oh come on I'm just trying to show something positive here.....

Comment

good point...

Originally posted by Tom74'CJ-5 View Post
      Ahhh but you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself now
      Oh come on I'm just trying to show something positive here.....
      but I still don't have to like it. I will enjoy learning how to do it right. I have already found quite a bit of info, and a pretty good wright-up. The first thing I realized was that I need more tools, but that's a given anyway. The next thing I realized was that this is going to be a royal PITA with a few "gave up and drank beer" nights... But that's not all bad.

Comment

Wow. At the rate you're saving money, you'll be hired by the administration to manage the economy within 6 months.

eBay is a mixed battleground. I don't suppose you considered 'resolution' on this... presuming it was misrepresented.

Comment

Originally posted by herman8r2 View Post
          Well, I think I overpaid for the dana 44 I recently bought on craigslist...
          Tom, he said he got it off Craigslist, so I don't think "resolving" it is possible.

Herman8r2, been there, done that. Sometimes we think we learn from the mistake, just to do it again later......... Such is life

Comment

I won't be doing it again...

I just got in too big of a hurry... If I would have waited until I could have made it to Portland myself, I could have at least told the guy that $450 was way too much for that axle just without brakes that were usable. Seeing the brakes and shock mounts would have made me wonder what was in the pumpkin... "if this is what's on the outside, what kinda crap is on the inside?" If it would have sold before I got over there? Yeah, right! That axle would have been safe from anyone that got a look at it for that price. I do learn from my mistakes, I have made enough of 'em... Chalk another one up to experience.

So, who has a case spreader I can beg, borrow, or steal?

Comment

Originally posted by rstarch345 View Post
              Tom, he said he got it off Craigslist, so I don't think "resolving" it is possible.

Herman8r2, been there, done that. Sometimes we think we learn from the mistake, just to do it again later......... Such is life

Yeah. Um. I can read. I promise. Don't know what to plead here except guilty.
              Well, okay I've had a lot on my mind lately, and I guess it's starting to show.

Comment

Does anyone have a (cheap) axle housing spreader they don't need for a few months (maybe 6)? I would be willing to buy an un-needed one or borrow (shipping paid by me both ways) one that needs to go home eventually... I can get a brand new one for under $300, but doubt I'll use it more than once (twice with the gear change up front) and was wondering if anyone else had one collecting dust in the garage.

Comment

Just getting around to setting up the gears in it? Any updated pics of it?

Comment

This is why I buy new. For 3K you bolt it in the day you get it, hook up the brake lines and away you go. Dont forget to add the cost of a locker in there as well.

Comment

Does anyone have a (cheap) axle housing spreader they don't need for a few months (maybe 6)? I would be willing to buy an un-needed one or borrow (shipping paid by me both ways) one that needs to go home eventually... I can get a brand new one for under $300, but doubt I'll use it more than once (twice with the gear change up front) and was wondering if anyone else had one collecting dust in the garage.
                      Make your own.
                      I have seen 2 pieces of angle iron or square tubing bolted to the diff and 2 pieces of threaded rod used for this.

edit: quick google search found THIS THREAD (with pics) on Pirate. This is for a 60, but the concept is the same.

Or just use a hammer and 2x4 to get it in there.
                      Last edited by Blupupher; 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM. Reason: link added

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot View Post
                        Just getting around to setting up the gears in it? Any updated pics of it?
                        I'm actually just getting around to ordering the gears and such... been workin' too hard to get much accomplished. Does anyone have any input on gear manufacturers? I would think a gear is a gear, are the high dollar gear sets that much better?

Comment

Adventure Bob: I actually looked for a new 44. I got tired of hearing "I'm sorry, we don't build axles for YJs. Or, I'm sorry, we don't offer the OX locker." So I gave up and went the other route. I'll have a little over 2K into it, including the locker, so at least I can say I saved a grand...

Thanks for the link Blu! That will do nicely
                          Last edited by herman8r2; 07-02-2010, 02:05 AM.

Comment

... Does anyone have any input on gear manufacturers? I would think a gear is a gear, are the high dollar gear sets that much better?
                            A gear is not a gear. Some cheaper gears use cheaper quality metal, which means you will be breaking teeth or possibly pinions.
                            While you don't need the cryo treated ultra uber gears, you don't want to totally cheap out on them. I see our host has some by G2, but never heard of them, but they also have some by Dana, Alloy USA and a few others.

Comment

Here we go!! I ordered (a big thanks to Brian Stewart) both lockers, 4.88 gears by G2, chromoly front shafts, and the associated hardware to get this job done. I should come home from work to find a patio full of good stuff! I'll keep the camera and the beer close to hand

Comment

Working...
                              X