X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Axle Stories

So post any stories you have when you break your axels. Could be serious, could be funny, anything or anytime when you got shafted.

I broke an axle leaving a parking spot in my college parking lot. I was running 31" tires on my stock D35. I was backing out in 4low trying to climb over the 3 foot snow pile the plows left behind my jeep. Heard a snap and called the wrecker boys. Vary sad day. Backing out of a parking spot... Who would have thought.

I have also broke the axle of a 5.0 Mustang. But thats a much more serious story for another day. I miss her she was my first car. But when she died thats how I got hooked on Jeeps so I guess its ok.

I broke a rear 44 shaft on 35" tires testing the rock crawl at the 4WDH Jamboree in 2008. Alot of people had walked over to see me test it out, I got stuck and instead of getting pulled off I put the skinny peddle to the floor and snap. In hind sight, horrible idea. But I really wanted to make it the entire way across. I believe lotgod has it on video?

Total damage of this situation= Still have all of the parts as a trophy.
    Dana 44 shaft
    Carrier - ovaled the location where carrier bearing rides
    2 carrier bearings
    Lock-Right Locker

In 2007 I broke a front shaft trying to stack my 35" tire on a 38" tire. This happened right in front of the showroom door at 4WDH.

Ive broken several front shafts over the years, every time being dumb and using the skinny peddle.

Comment

On my old Jeep: none.

I had a '79 F150 that that I got to watch my left rear wheel pass me while doing 75 down the freeway in Idaho one winter. Some dork PO had torched the wheel bearing off and started a hairline crack in the axle shaft that finally gave way at the end of a 2500 mile road trip. That next spring, the other side came out when the bearing seized and chewed through the backing plate. I slid in another shaft and proceeded to shear my pinion shaft while doing a burn out. I swapped the third member, then I had the thing lock up on me and send me skidding across a parking lot when a spider gear grenaded (another burn out...). So I picked up a whole good axle from a wreck and totally rebuilt a new assembly with a refreshed limited slip from the two old ones. No more problems for the next five years until I finally sold the truck. And no, I didn't stop doing burn outs. I was like 22 or so...surprised I didn't fry my clutch! Now I am a bit more careful with my machinery)

Comment

Heavy skinny pedal in my Rubi while in 2wd in the snow. When I hit dry pavement coming out of the mud/snow the 35's gripped and I snaped off the rear yoke on my D44. Alot of fast talking at the stealership and got it covered under warranty. Got a new rear drive shaft out of it too.

Pulled the rear shaft off and limped home in front wheel drive.

The service manager asked me where I was driving it when it broke and I said "it shouldn't matter where I was, it said trail rated on the side".

Comment

So heres the story of my Mustang. I'm 17 years old and I have owned my 91 Mustang GT for about 4 months. I was getting the radiator fixed along with the breaker switches for the lights and new drum brakes. I have an awesome mechanic that did all this for $600. So my brother was driving his pontiac gt and brought me to the mechanic to pick up my car. We get there, chat for a bit, I give him a check for $600 and were off. Now two teenage boys leaving a mechanic with a fresh Mustang and a slightly built up Pontiac, common... So we race to the first road crossing and I pull up behind my brother. he peels out across the road but I have to stop for a few more cars to go by. He got a nice lead on me but I knew I could catch up. I out the petal down and kept it pinned all the way up to 130mph. I knew a turn with a quick little bump at the apec was coming so I slowed down a bit but the bump took the axle off under the drum. The previous owner made a hair line crack in the axle, probably curbed it at some point. So I'm doing 120mph and I only have 3 wheels on the car. I counter steered to correct about 4 time before impact but it was usless so I mashed the break hard to try to slow down as much as possiable. I went off the road in front of a little farm house and rolled along the stone wall about 6 times before I hit a tree growing through the wall. But the tree didn't stop me, I launched off the tree over the power lines rolling 2 or 3 more times back into the middle of the road. My brother stoped and of course ran back to me. I climbed out the window and we pulled the terminals off the battery. Neighbors came out and called 911. But all in the end was well. I was completly unhurt. I got another mustang 2 weeks later and realised I needed to take it easy for a while. I sold the thing and bought my self a 4banger Jeep. Nice and slow, but I wouldn't say it keeps me out of trouble

I'll post pics later, I gotta figure out my account stuff to host em.

Comment

Originally posted by damuall View Post

The service manager asked me where I was driving it when it broke and I said "it shouldn't matter where I was, it said trail rated on the side".
            That has got to be the best line I have ever heard... Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by herman8r2 View Post
              That has got to be the best line I have ever heard... Nicely done!
              Agree, thats great

Comment

I bet Dale Jr. has an axle story after the Sunday's race.
                Last edited by StillStock; 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StillStock View Post
                  I bet Dale Jr. has an axle story after the Sunday's race.
                  I was stuck in the air, when all of sudden I got traction, honest the whells were only going 100mph!

Comment

Working...
                  X