Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken Dana 30 axle shaft

Hey-
    I have an '01 Cherokee... I snapped the passenger side shaft. I have taken off the tire and removed the outside piece, I opened up the differential to change the fluids and left that off also...

...before I waste my time with my own attempts at removing the broken piece I wanted to see if anyone had any good tips on how to get the remaining broken piece out (it is probably only about a 6" piece left in there)

I have heard of everything from magnets, to hangers in the diff (which I don't think will work due to locker), I have heard of people even using shop vac... Anyone know if any of this or anything else works???

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 1bigjeepxj; 09-11-2007, 10:47 PM.

I can't think of any reasonable way other than removing the other axle and carrier. The stub can be pushed back into the axle with a stiff wire in order to remove the carrier. Once apart, the stub can be pushed through by going into the other side of the axle. By time you spend all the time trying to get the stub out, you may be further ahead.

Comment

which way are you saying to push it with the wire?

Comment

Depending on the locker you have, you should be able to work it from the carrier toward the seal. Catch the shaft on the edge and let it fall into the tube.

If you locker won't let you do that, remove drivers side axle, center pin on the carrier, and use a broom handle to go in and push the stub.

Comment

I have not taken a real close look just yet.. kind of procrastinating as i know it may not be fun... But i do not think the Aussie locker will let me work through the carrier, and i do not want to have to remove the pin etc... But you are probably right, I might should just start with that before wasting hours on other types of attempts!
          Thanks rstarch for the suggestion.
          ---

Anyone else?

Comment

retractable magnet usally works!

Comment

I was just going to say.

The "professional" Craftsman telescoping magnet I have should pull the stub out of there. Just put it on a broom stick or something to extend it as far as you need.

The one I an talking about is this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...scoping+magnet

Comment

cant beat the price - I will give one a try... better than the crappy one I have at home!

Comment

forwarning, im a millwright and have had to deal with many blown shafts (The biggest ive had to replace was a 22" dia shaft with 189 splines.. ouch it was heavy)

usually when shafts blow, they kill the seal. They eather scratch the seal, causing leakages, or the more likely one (this happened on my moms jeep, she blew the passenger U joint and whoo it was interesting) the spring on the seal gets streached, and doesnt apply the correct amount of pressure to the shaft to seal properly.

Your best bet is to pull the whole thing apart and replace that seal just incase, otherwhise later down the road (soon most likely) it will start really leaking, and who wants to open that diff more than once? and low oil levels with a locker is not a good idea. seals are cheap, its just time consuming to pull the diff apart more than once.

Comment

i saw a video a few years back of a guy who snapped his 60 on his blazer. It was out on a flat dirt trail and nothing to fish out the pieces with so he jacked up the other side till it was fully flexed and hammered the other side of the housing till the pieces slid out. He had the frame on stands. Anyone see that one? I don't think it'll work if you are fishing out the splined part that is still in the diff.

Comment

I have jacked the side of my Nissan Frontier up all the way. I did this on the side that did not have a broken axle. Then I used a radiator hose to push it out of the diff and down to the end of the tube. Then I had a five year old stick there fingers in and grab it.

Comment

damn i knew the kids were good for somethin! lol

Comment

if its an aussier locker you really cant get to it from inside the carrier without a bunch of dissasembly.

Comment

shop vac this.....

so, how did ya get the axle out???? did ya get everything fixed and back on/off the road?

if ya don't tell us what ya did, how we gonna know

Ww

Comment

Well, after trying the magnet a shop vac and a few other ideas... I ended up removing the drivers side tire etc... and I duct taped a metal rod to the end of a pole - I was able to pass id just above the locker and with some good hits on a hammer it pushed it loose - the I pulled it out with the magnet... Kind of a pain in the *** but because of how it broke off (on an angle) it was really jammed in there.

It was back on the road and it made it through a trip to slade for 2 days! And even though I thrashed on it pretty hard and rolled it a couple times I did not break any more axle shafts!!

Comment

Working...
                              X