X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ride stiffness

Guys (and ladies) I know my cj7 is almost 3 decades old and has leaf springs. I put an add-a-leaf kit on it before I broke my back . Now it runs enough rougher. Give me some thoughts on making this thing drive where it won't beat my titanium rods to death. If it means taking off the add a leaf, then so be it. If it means putting the best shocks on it or a pair on each side, so be it. I've been working way too long and hard on this thing not to be able to drive it. Please give me some thoughts. Thanks, HBC

MY CJ has HD springs in it that offer a sportscarlike handling... including the stiffness of a racecar. Was fine for a while showing those Porsches that a 30 year old CJ can follow them on a twisty road. After I got tired of the backbraking stiffness I greased every single leaf in the leaf packs and now it rides relatively smooth bot still allows for high cornering speed. Love it!

Comment

When I lifted my CJ with 4" skyjacker springs it was pretty rough. It has smoothed out over the years or driving and wheeling. I think the wheeling where I really flexed it has helped the most. I think taking the add a leaf off is a good first step. How old are your springs? Some new springs could help as well. I would read up on which ones offer the smoothest ride. Good shocks can help too. I have Rancho adjustables and they are nice. Bilstiens are really nice as well.

Comment

First off how much lift do you intend to have or keep? What size tires do you want to clear? What do you want a wheeler, street jeep, or jack of all trades?

Comment

I wrote a long reply, but the forum logged me out. I want her to sit high. I put 32's on her. She has OX lockers, new engine, etc. I'd be willing to try almost anything at this point.

Comment

Sounds like a good 2"-2.5" life would be perfect for what you want. You can find some good riding springs with that much lift and not kill your back.

Comment

Take the Add a leafs out. Put some Old Man Emu 2" Springs on. Will it cost some money yes, but they are the best riding springs out there, your back will thank you.

Comment

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

What kind of tires ya runnin and how much air pressure?

Comment

I'm running stock tires off the new Rubicons, mainly because they're so easy to come by. Right now I'm running right at 30 #'s pressure but would air down on any trails. I like the suggestions I'm getting and will give it a shot. Thanks!

Comment

You can try and run say 24-25 lbs, might help more than you think.

Comment

Good idea. What do you guys think about this kit? http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...7&partID=13792

Will it do what I'm wanting it to do?

Comment

Typically, the bigger the lift, the rougher the ride. Going 4" instead of 2 will result in a rougher ride. I have not heard that Pr-Comp lifts ride very smooth either. Others here may have had a different experience with their products.

Comment

A while ago I did a spring rate comparison. at the time Superlift's "Superide" springs had the softest spring rate among those I looked at. Also make sure your shackels are greased and not overtightened.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaBizz View Post
                              Take the Add a leafs out. Put some Old Man Emu 2" Springs on. Will it cost some money yes, but they are the best riding springs out there, your back will thank you.
                              HBC, I can vouch for this personally. The ride you get from OME is fantastic on the highway and would be pretty forgiving on a bad back. Nice seats won't hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                              X