X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency brake button broke

Finally I get to ask a question!! Folks I have a 97 cherokee, 4.0, 5 spd manual and the button on top of my emergency brake broke off. How do I replace it? Can I just unhook linkage and pull button out or do I have to remove handle to get it out?? Help please. It works I just can't set it unless I pull out on linkage.

You're going to have to pull the center counsel out in order to remove the brake lever. You can get a new one from the dealer, PN 52078 943AC or go to the U-pull-it or Pick-a-part and get another from a wrecked Jeep.

Comment

I have the console out, the heater vent to the back off and everything else. So I will have to take the whole handle off and replace it?

Comment

Yes. It's far simpler to replace the handle than get another handle and try to remove the button mechanism. The factory only offers the handle/button as an assembly.

Comment

Thanks I will go to my local junk yard and look for one. Will I need a 97 or will any year work? There is a 98 sport in the junk yard near me.

Comment

For sure, '97 to '01 will work. If they'll let you take it in with you, take the old one and see if any of the earlier years might work.

Comment

Thank you very much!! I will pull it out tonight.

Comment

Thanks I went and got the brake handle and it was not that bad . It works fine now.

Comment

Hey, glad to hear it work out well for you.

Comment

Good to hear you got the XJ fixed!

Comment

Working...
                    X