Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a Wally in your shop?

Hey guys, and Cherokee.

Ya'll know I've been writing about working for this construction company I'm with for a while now.

HMR, I'll tell ya who I work for when we hook up.

Well I drive truck.operate equipment mainly but still spend plenty of time in the shop.

Enough so that the mechanics, I use the term loosely, recognize that I have some mechanical ability. (Anyone who owns a Jeep, or three, has to don't they)

So the other day Wally (real name) comes down from the upper yard in our golf cart.

"Hay Chayud cain you help me git this truck starrrted?"

Heavy hick accent.

"Sure Walley, I can help"

The truck, a medium duty GMC with a small Cat diesel engine, had stalled on him immediately agter he serviced the unit.

What causes a truck to stall?

In a diesel it usually is a lack of fuel. SO I asked him if he refilled the fuel filter when he changed it.

"YAYUH I deeyud."

Ok lets try some starting fluid and see what happens.

The ruck would run on starting fluid but it would not run on it's own and had no accelerator pedal.

Again I ask if he filled the fuel filter.

"Yayuh I deeyud."

Ok...

"Did you change the fuel filter?"

"Yayuh, I changed that one." and points back to the fuel tank.

When I ask if he changed the main filter on the engine he said no, because it still looked new.

Perculate on that for a second folks... Because it looked NEW, on the outside.

So I tell him the filter needs changed no matter what and hee needed to go get one.

He runs off in the golf cart and comes back with a filter wrench, filter and no diesel can.

He takes the old filter off, careful not to spill any fuel, sets it gingerly on the step.

I ask him if he got the right filter. He compares the two filters and they are one number off.

He starts looking aththem and comparing them. I told him Nuh uh. Not in front of me. He needs to get the right filter.

"But thay look the Sayum."

"Don't care Wallaaay. Go get the right filter and a diesel can."

He puts off in the golf cart and comes back with the correct filter and the diesel can.

He starts to reach for the old filter to our the fuel from it into the new filter.

"No way Walley, don;t you dare. We use fresh fuel." And I start explaining why.

We put the new filter back on and the truck fires right up.

I was a little pissed.

I tried to get in the shop full time a few months ago and they told me no, I don;t have enough experience.

I asked him if I were not around would he haved used the wrong filter and old fuel.

He said yeah.

ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do all shops have these guys?

is it just us.

Please tell me I just work in dumbass redneck hell and that toher places are more civilized.

Wow, dude

I almost hired a guy like that, one time for my shop. Claimed he had all kinds of experience. Come to find out, the only job related work he'd ever done was when he and his brother swapped a motor out in a ole' 66' fairlane.

Comment

You're not the only one! I was a pipefitter, worked all over the country in powerplants, paper mills, pipelines, hospitals, new contruction on big buildings, etc.

Every jobsite had a Wally or 3!! (Most were engineers!)

So you're not alone. The boss has no idea what he missed, not putting you to work in the shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post

The boss has no idea what he missed, not putting you to work in the shop!
        What's funny, is they expect me to work on my own tractor. He most complicated piece of equipment we have, except for the Cat and Wirtgen milling machines.

But I am not qualified to swap trannies in one tons, change the oil in air compressors, or replace IAC sensors on our Dodges...

But I guess I aint qualified...

They want to hire a mechanic in for 9 to 11 an hour with his own tools an experience.

A cdl will get him an extra 2 bucks.

Yeah thats gunna happen.

Comment

Oh yes, I've worked with them, for them and been able to FIRE them!

The last was the most fulfilling, but I pitied the next shop that got him.

Comment

this doesnt pertain to work but the one employee has 5 DUI's multiple tickets for driving without insurance and on a suspended license, has a court date about every two weeks, some of them are two days in a row, just recently had his car taken by police because he claims his friends had drugs on them when they got pulled over, is being charged for swapping vins on his jeep which was also taken by police during one DUI, totalled another car and flipped the pickup over that he hit, now he rides his mongoose to work everyday, unless its raining then HIS MOM drives him and picks him up, best part is hes 25, we all wonder why hes not in jail after all these DUI's

Comment

Originally posted by LYKOS View Post
              But I guess I aint qualified...
              They want to hire a mechanic in for 9 to 11 an hour with his own tools an experience.
              A cdl will get him an extra 2 bucks. Yeah thats gunna happen.
              Yeah I was ask a short time ago to come into a shop and straighten things out at 13 bucks an hr. I'm a Master ASE and Gold cert. w/Chrysler/Jeep, plus State Inspect. cert., and left $23.50 an hr. w/about 60k in tools and test equip. (65k a yr.) to start my own shop. I politely said no thank you and called him a bonehead under my breath.
              Heh Chad, had chipbeef on toast and 2 eggs this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by hmr-rsq View Post
                Heh Chad, had chipbeef on toast and 2 eggs this morning.
                At the Tavern?

Comment

At the Tavern?
                  Naaa at the Dogwood, but the tavern has been on me mind lately.....

Comment

Im headed to WV this weekend to get the Harley back together this weekend.

We will hook up next weekend. I always have bfast at the TT on Sundays.

Comment

Im headed to WV this weekend to get the Harley back together this weekend.

We will hook up next weekend. I always have bfast at the TT on Sundays.
                      Give me a shout...

Comment

While I would argue that owning 2 Jeeps doesn't automatically make someone mechanically inclined (although I hoped it would, so far the magic has passed me over), it's not uncommon to see what you're talking about... and it's not just the mechanical world.
                        I've also seen it with photographers, and computer techs, and just about everything else you can think of.
                        And it's especially so here in the Northeast, where "knowing someone" is the main qualifier for employment.

Comment

I know what you mean Tom.

What has burned my AZZ is that I was working in the shop when there were no truck runs to be made.

Once I was told I'm not qualified they lost their extra mechanic.

Not qualified to work in the shop doesn't mean, not qualified unless we need you.

Grrrr....

Comment

wallys all over...

Lykos, at the power plant we have two ways for people to get promoted to their personal level of incompetence, or steal a job from a qualified individual. One is nepotism/good ole boy, the other is affirmative action. One is just as disgusting and basically wrong as the other. My company has engaged each until we now have one qualified individual for every three

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                              Lykos, at the power plant we have two ways for people to get promoted to their personal level of incompetence, or steal a job from a qualified individual. One is nepotism/good ole boy, the other is affirmative action. One is just as disgusting and basically wrong as the other. My company has engaged each until we now have one qualified individual for every three

Comment

Working...
                              X