X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ5 vs CJ5 frame

I put this in the CJ forum but I cant get any answers. I have a 80cj5 with a frame that isnt in cuch good shape and i have someone that is giving me 2 83/84 frames for a DJ5. I know the DJ5 was based on the CJ5 but did they use the same frame?

I can tell you what I've run across. Check out vintage jeep parts, from what I read and understood the dj's were just 2wd version of the cj's. I would not think there would be a frame difference. Maybe a different tail on the trans and a longer driveshaft, would be my guess. I am by no means an expert, so those with more or correct knowledge jump in.

Comment

Originally posted by 80cj5
      I put this in the CJ forum but I cant get any answers. I have a 80cj5 with a frame that isnt in cuch good shape and i have someone that is giving me 2 83/84 frames for a DJ5. I know the DJ5 was based on the CJ5 but did they use the same frame?
      I'm reasonably sure that the DJ frame is narrower. I have a '71 DJ and the Dana 44 axle is too narrow for any other application.

Comment

Does anyone have anything in a book or something online that they have seen that says it is or is not the same? Not that I dont believe or appreciate the answers Ive been given, I just want to be absolutely sure of one answer or the other.

Comment

Goin Postal

I believe the gent with the statement on narrower is correct. I have been told that DJ5s never went to the tapered(wider) frame like the civi's did in 1976, and I know they used smaller 10-12gal gas tanks on the late 70'sDJ and it was for the frame difference. I also know they did'nt use the same axles as CJ's in all cases. I had a call on one that had a Dana 35 from factory(which is real weird man!) and it was a 80's vintage. I've also read that the 2wd is different then 4wd on many things. Part numbers do not cross and Jeep dealers can't read postal part#s I've never seen a book that gives much info on the CJ/DJ. Willy's Overland in Toledo may be able to give more info, since Toledo was home of AMC and AM General Jeeps. Lol!

Comment

Check with these folks for more info:

http://www.postaljeep.net/

Comment

This is a willys I bought last year.
              It seem most people agree that it is a CJ2a frame and a modified DJ body.
              look at the botttom of the home made doors
              hope this helps.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...p/DCP02219.jpg

Comment

I have a buddy who did this swap with an early cj5. The frame worked fine with that body style. The big plus is that its a boxed frame, and the spring hangers are on the outside of the frame. just remember the steering on the postals is on the opposite side.

Comment

Originally posted by wesfab1
                  I have a buddy who did this swap with an early cj5. The frame worked fine with that body style. The big plus is that its a boxed frame, and the spring hangers are on the outside of the frame. just remember the steering on the postals is on the opposite side.
                  Not all DJ's are RHD. Mine is LHD.

Comment

That cj2a looks alot like the jeep in JP that hazel said was a rare jeep. If i understand this right then postal jeeps had the same frame as early cj-5s and older flatfenders. Are early cj 5 frames the same as cj3bs and cj2as?

Comment

Does anyone have the a schematic drawing with the dimensions of both or either the post-76 cj5 and DJ5? I just called postaljeeps.net and they cant help me since they dont know anything about cjs.

Comment

Working...
                      X