X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 Oil Cap Options...

Is it better the let the oil cap breath or hook it up to the carb? I would assume my vacuum pressure would be higher with it hooked up. Making my Brake Booster / Carb / TH400 run more like factory setup.

Right now I dont have it hooked to anything. They make universal breather caps and the replacement type as well.

I would think the higher the vac. on the crankcase the better. Less likely for oil leaks. If your PVC goes into the valve cover you need a place for it to get air from , thus the oil filler cap. Keep it hooked up.Or you'll be sucking in dirty air.
    Last edited by redtail; 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM.

Comment

PVC valve hooks upto the carburetor. Valve covers do not have and vents on them at all. I dont believe they did at stock either.

Comment

Where is youre PVC located?

Comment

On the Intake Manifold. Edelbrok Performer.

Comment

Where is the valve at not where the hose pulls a vac.

Comment

Hook it up the way your Eddy package says to. That's the best way. that's how I hooked mine up and haven't had problems. PVC is on the intake. amc v8's don't have them on the valve covers like the 258's do. The valve pops directly into the intake
              Last edited by Upper1; 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Every car or truck I ever owned or worked on for the last 35 years had the PVC located in the valve cover. Please make me smart.

Comment

All I have with my Edlebrock is a breather cap on the oil downspout. I havent messed with the carb enough to know if it has a PCV or not. Again I have no breather on the manifolds either. Not for certain this is the way it should be, but this is how I got the beast.

Comment

I used to not run a PVC valve. Now I know better after reading the eddy manual. I actually was having intake manifold pressure instaed of vacuum. I wonder if that was hard on any of my engine parts. Other then there was oil everywhere leaking out of the fill tube cap all the time.

Yea. I was thinking. With a vacuum you have to get a source for air to create the vacuum. and this comes from the oil cap. And its hooked to the air filter simply becaue that air would be filtered . I am just going to get a filtered oil cap and not run another hose from the cap to the ait filter.

Comment

Ok...I'm getting confused. I have never had problems with my rigs engine this way. I paid $200 to have a local shop go over this rig with a fine tooth comb and they gave great reviews. I have no hose for PCV that I can see.

Comment

Well is isn't every car or truck. Wanta get smart. PCV valve goes into the intake behind the carb. the breather is built into the oil cap. You want to know why I know this, I have the same setup that I built. I not posting about things I know nothing about.

Comment

Thank you

You got it! The pvc wich connects to a vac. source keeps a neg. pressure on the crankcase. But you need a clean source of air, The oil filler cap which connects to the air cleaner housing provides the source of clean air.

Comment

Sorry

I thought you had a PVC valve, My mistake.

Comment

I run an open aircleaner...There is no connection for a pcv hose...There are no openings on Edlebrock manifolds...so if there is a pcv on my rig...I must be looking in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                              X