X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Insurance

I have an 86 CJ-7 w/ 258, fiberglass body, one piece fiberglass front end, new lines everywhere, etc. I want to know what peoples opinions of their insurance companies are. I couldn't get full coverage on my cj with Erie Insurance. The rate was outragous and they said that if anything happened to the jeep they would consider it totalled and give me blue book for it, which is $1,500 or so. I've got well over $10,000 invested. What should I do? Any other companies worth going to?

american faimly (they don't write on the coast states) i have them and have been very happy, i did put riders on the jeeps to up the value from book to what it should be roughly and it only costs like 20-30 dollars every 6 months(more than nomal)

Comment

I have my 79 CJ7 insured with Allstate. They didn't bat an eye. HOWEVER, I only have basic liability insurance. And I have my house insured with Allstate. To get an older vehicle with mods insured at or near value, if it's possible, you may need to find a company that specializes in classic cars. I would search for some classic car clubs or websites. It may be pricy. Another company I've heard mentioned in this forum that people were satisfied with for basic insurance is USAA I think it's called.

Comment

Insurance

Originally posted by jeepstir
        Another company I've heard mentioned in this forum that people were satisfied with for basic insurance is USAA I think it's called.
        United Services Automobile Association = USAA. They insure active, Guard & Reserve MILITARY members, Retirees & Military Dependents.

GREAT COMPANY, Cover anything you add as a permanant part of the vehicle. If its not permanant its probably a homeowners claim.

800 531-8111 policy service NO! I don't work for them or get any kickbacks.

Dave USAF Retired

Comment

Originally posted by 91RedRenegade
          United Services Automobile Association = USAA. They insure active, Guard & Reserve MILITARY members, Retirees & Military Dependents.

GREAT COMPANY, Cover anything you add as a permanant part of the vehicle. If its not permanant its probably a homeowners claim.

800 531-8111 policy service NO! I don't work for them or get any kickbacks.

Dave USAF Retired
          Only thing he forgot to mention is that they ONLY insure Active, Guard & Reserve, Retirees and Military Dependents. They are unable to write you if you do not somehow fall in those catagories.

State Farm is a good company but may not write the Jeep.
          Nation Wide is pretty okay too, but they might not write the Jeep either.
          Stay away from Progressive and Geicko

and by the way, I wouldnt say they are better for just basic insurance, I have a ton of insurance on my wifes Jeep, my tow rig and my trail rig and USAA is almost half of what other companies have quoted me
          Last edited by avainaffairs; 02-21-2006, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I have Erie now. We have our house and other cars through them. My bike is through progressive (Erie was insane-4X the price of progressive, just for liability). I don't have any military background so that eliminates USAA. I'll check to see if American Family is out my way and I'll call around to get some quotes.

Thanks again for the info

Comment

i have state farm and had no problems with it at all.

Comment

is the state farm insurance just liability or full coverage?

Comment

full coverage.

Comment

USAA might cover u if ur related to a military member, like a PX works...

i called allstate today and asked them if they would cover me if i was in and accident with the mods i have done to my suspension...they wer gunna look into it...

i mentioned the geico letter in the other insurance thread to the guy i talked to and he said geico was the worst out ther. he said they buy radar detectors for cops and in exchange they get info about who speeds and that directl effects what people pay. believe it, or not.

Comment

I have Erie and so far am not pleased with their handleing of my claim that I had discussed in an eariler post.

I'm looking to change and Urge anyone with Erie Insurance to do so also. Not that it matters but If and when they screw me (sure sounds like they are going to) I will let them know how many customers they have lost by screwing me. This is starting off with about 20 vehicles in my family and atleast 10 more friends as well as every Jeep person I can talk to. That doesnt sound like much but for an average $1000/year thats $30,000 per year they are loosing over a $2000 accident.

I've been with them for 10 years, no claims what so ever, I've paid them roughly $18,000 and they are going to drop me over a $2000 accident.

You'll hear more when this all goes through.

Comment

I haven't had time to call any other insurance companies yet, but I feel the same way about Erie. I've been with them for 13 years and my family had been with them for 6 or so before that. From what I've seen and heard one accident is all it takes for them to either raise your rates 3-5 times what they were or drop you. The only reason I'm still with them is that we have all of our other insurance through them (house, cars).

Not to pry, but what price range is state farm for full coverage. I have a good driving record. Only thing on it is a speeding ticket 3 years ago.

Comment

i've been with state farm for about 25 years now and my family was with them before that. i will say this, the agent you have makes a big difference no matter who your underwriter is. i'm fortunate to have a personal friendship with my agent and it's been invaluable to me on several occasions.

Comment

Just an aside...
                            USAA typically doesn't keep a very large cash reserve. So they don't operate in Mass. As a result, they also can't handle much of a loss (meaning they'll dump you or raise your rates if you have an accident).
                            I went with tripleA insurance, which promptly had me underwritten by one of the only 2 insurance companies that write policies here in taxachusetts.

Comment

Working...
                            X