X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sroke or not to stroke 4.0?

Hey ya'all... anyone stroke their 4.0 six cyl?? It's either that or an engine swap... I need your input on options. I've heard the 4.7 stroker is a great option to gain HP and torque. What's out there?

Thanks!!

My opinion it's not worth the cost. For the same coin you could build a mild SBC.

It depends on a few things too. Are you going to keep it street legal in PA? Might be easer to go the stroker route that way though. How about fuel injection? What year is it going in? The newer it is, the harder to make an engine swap work. Just some things to think about.

Comment

"My opinion it's not worth the cost. For the same coin you could build a mild SBC."

I disagree. Maybe when considering the engine only, but considering all of the other appurtenances: headers/exhaust, fuel management system (including computer), sensors, engine mounts, tranny, clutch, pulleys, brackets for mounting a/c pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc., radiator; engine swaps are a pain in the arse.

I would stick with the 4.0, stroke it if you so desire. I can't comment on that, though, as I have no experience there.

If you do decide to swap for a V8, do plenty of research to find out what can be re-used, what will need adapters, and what will need replaced. Rebuilding/stroking the factory engine could be done in a couple weeks, swapping could take months.

I don't think it's worth the cost to swap, nor the aggrivation, assuming it's your daily driver. Now if it's an older project Jeep, that's a different story.

Comment

If and when my 4.0l gives up the ghost I will probably drop in the 4.7 stroker for the $ and time and my application I think the 4.7 stroker would be more than enough power/torque wise for the wheeling I do. Although I have always wanted to drop a 289 ford motor in a TJ

Comment

in order to see the full potential of the 4.5l you will need a larger TB, cold air intake, aftermarket header and exhaust, new chip/programer, kevlar clutch/pressure plate to handle the power, larger injectors, new fuel pump to feed injectors, new cam/lifters (and hope they stay together- do some research on cam failures), new 3 core radiator for additional needed cooling capacity,plus the machining of the block, porting the heads, valve job, balancing the rotating assembly, and after it's all done you really should have it dyno'ed and tuned.

i dont have ac, on my third power steering pump, and most acc will come on a junk yard block.

you will most likey hafta run least 89 oct also.

so tell me how the stroker is cheaper?

easier- yes to put together, not cheaper.

i have a 4.5l i'd be more than happy to sell you as soon as i finish building the 302 that's sitting on the engine stand in my shop.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind, is with a stroker you'll be using premium gas. If it's a trail only rig it won't be a problem. If it's a DD, an engine swap could be more fuel friendly in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by str8country View Post
              in order to see the full potential of the 4.5l you will need a larger TB, cold air intake, aftermarket header and exhaust, new chip/programer, kevlar clutch/pressure plate to handle the power, larger injectors, new fuel pump to feed injectors, new cam/lifters (and hope they stay together- do some research on cam failures), new 3 core radiator for additional needed cooling capacity,plus the machining of the block, porting the heads, valve job, balancing the rotating assembly, and after it's all done you really should have it dyno'ed and tuned.

i dont have ac, on my third power steering pump, and most acc will come on a junk yard block.

you will most likey hafta run least 89 oct also.

so tell me how the stroker is cheaper?

easier- yes to put together, not cheaper.
              :

Okay...

You pick up an SBC at the yard, tear it down, new pistons/rings, have the head rebuilt. Who can resist not boring/camming while you're in there. Why would you ever run a carb over F.I. so you buy a fuel injection kit. All the adapters required to run the SBC, etc.

I don't think either one is cheaper than the other when done right...but we need to compare apples to apples here. If you found a stroker sitting in the junkyard it would cost the same to do as a junkyard SBC.

Comment

Is it a trail rig/weekend warrior? Do it.

Is it a DD? Don't do it.

PM 4wheelin49r and ask him how he liked his stroker on a DD rig.

Comment

My 2 cents. If the Jeep is to remain a daily driver/part time trail rig, go with the stoker. In terms of everything related to registering the Jeep for street use, there is no way to justify an engine swap to an SBC. In terms of future operation and maintenance, ditto. You'll never be able to keep up with it efficiently.

You can get 4.6 and 4.7 strokers with up to and beyond 300 hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque. Unless you really build a small block chevy, you're actually getting less for More! Jeeps are not, and will never be, muscle cars.

JK

Comment

hooo boy! ... me thinks I raised a very interesting issue. It was either stroke, engine swap or super charge my '99 TJ 4.0I ... I am leaning toward the stroker... this is a week-day DD/ off road rig on weekends... going to 35s, Solid axle Dana 44 to replace the wimpy D-35 rear, so I am looking for power. But probably don't want to hassle with the swap since this is a PA vehicle!

Comment

I can't speak for a TJ and for a DD with the laws in your area...but some things to think about from my study in this area:

I've looked at the stroker long blocks and kits and their numbers; I am not impressed for the results ~vs~ cost. I think a good rebuild with a sane (mild) overbore, port polish/match, cam...all the standard hot rod goodies...will net you more power (over stock) for less cash...AND you'll have a stronger, hardier engine than a stroker.

As for my CJ, I've decided to do a V8 swap. I'm planning a 302 (5.0) Ford swap (I love the engine) but a Chevy 350 is a great choice too. A 4.3 Chevy V6 rocks near V8 numbers in a lighter package.

Comment

i assume this is for the '99 in your sig?

a 1999 4.0 is rated at 120 HP @ 5,400 rpm; 140 ft lb
                        a 2003 4.0 is rated at 190 HP @ 4,600 rpm; 235 ft lb

when i did my stroker i basically swapped cranks, rods and added the edge tail jammer kit. there is more that i could do to it, like put in bigger injectors and re-install the cam (the first one lasted 10 mins and died, so i put the stock one back in) i did a crappy write up on nec's board and posted everthing i did and the final bill if your interested -
                        power wise- driving down i-75 and a good head wind it had troubles doing 65, now i dont have any problems at 80 and it is alot harder to stall out on the trail. I run 35's with 4.56's and drove it 60 miles to work everyday all summer(till i bought a honda cause premium at 12mpg got expensive)

i cant say i'm against it or for it, but it didnt give me the power i wanted for the amount of effort that went into it. to be honest i think i have as much fun wrenching on the heap as i do driving it. lol-is there something wrong with me????

why not try to do the updates to the '03, it will run better and do it on 87oct

Comment

I want a stroker

I have been wanting to stroke my 4.2L for awhile. I'm waiting for when I need an overhaul. Damn thing won't die though! (just runs crappy when it's cold with low compression on one cyl) I've got 170K on it.

As far as putting a V-8 in - I am too attached and have too many goodies (headers, intake, MSD distributor....) on my engine to toss em and crossbreed with a chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by rippin YJ View Post
                            I have been wanting to stroke my 4.2L for awhile. I'm waiting for when I need an overhaul. Damn thing won't die though! (just runs crappy when it's cold with low compression on one cyl) I've got 170K on it.

As far as putting a V-8 in - I am too attached and have too many goodies (headers, intake, MSD distributor....) on my engine to toss em and crossbreed with a chevy.
                            where and what from are you getting a crank that has the a longer stroke than the one you have to do this?

Comment

Just my two cents...

I have wondered about this too so I have done alot of reading. From what I have read it is a "drop in" kind of a job. Since it uses the same computer, wires, connection...etc etc etc, it is mush simpler than a swap to like a small block. While you wont get the V-8 power you will get a lot more power than the normal I-6 and with alot less headaches.

Comment

Working...
                              X