X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts, Bolts and getting screwed

UGH! What is the real purpose of Torque head screws/bolts?

This weekends' progress was greatly hindered due to it taking all day Saturday and most of Sunday just to get the roll bar out. Most of the bolts came out ok, but the two bolts on the floor behind the driver's seat damn near were the death of me. Most came out ok with a T45 and an impact wrench. The head fitting started to give on a few and then I found that a T47 will fit in there if you have a big enough hammer. PB B'laster, a propane torch, vice grips and the like finally got them out. I can't help but think that this would have gone MUCH faster if I could have just slipped a socket over the top of it and used a long bar to torque them out. Also, I spent a good 3 hours running around all of Miami trying to find a set of Tamper Proof T-Heads to get the front roll bar to windshield extensions off. Several people had them up to T40, but no one had the big boys. Again, I sing the praises of vice-grips.

When I go to put it all back together, I'm thinkin of using a grade 8 stainless hex-head bolt. Why should I not do this? The only reason I've been able to come up with is that Jeeps are so open and accessible and not everyone runs around with a set of T-heads. Is this a security issue, or is there some other reason I should use the T-heads? I saw where 4WD sells a replacement hardware kit to change everything over to stainless, but I'm sure these will be T-heads too?

Dave

plain and simple...

TORX SUX

every time you pull one replace it. I think the reason they put them on there in the first place is more for decor factor. The rounded bolts on the outside hinges and whatnot look alot nicer than standard bolts. Also they are less prone to be tampered with by ignorant owners and brought to the Stealership where the "real" work should be done. :roll:

Unless you just REALY like the torx.. ditch em and grade 8 everything

Comment

Roger That!!!!! That's what I thought too...that it was 'cause they looked cool or somethin. Next time I'm up there, I'll gladly buy you a Hummingbird!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by LrdJeffson
        Roger That!!!!! That's what I thought too...that it was 'cause they looked cool or somethin. Next time I'm up there, I'll gladly buy you a Hummingbird!

Dave

I'm not too farmiliar with hummingbird... If your ever up towards Greensboro I'll introduce you to Red Oak. Its a local brew, Its also the only thing I missed about NC while I was in various other parts of the country.

BTW... where in Miami are you?? I grew up down there in Kendal (but when I was there it was called Kendal Lake) Used to be about a mile off kendal drive. there was also a field on kendal dr that used to have u-pick-em strawberries.. of course now its part of the kendal lakes shopping center

Comment

Our paths have many crosses in them! After leaving Elon College (6 of the best years of my life!! :lol: ), I headed to G'boro. First were the blue apts right next to J.P. Looneys...then back towards the airport off Old Oak Ridge Rd. (where I acquired the CJ). Hummingbird is (or at least was) the lighter micro-brew made at the Spring Garden...same place as Red Oak...no? (I drank them much lighter back then). At that time, we used to go out west to Pisgah Nat'l Forrest and run through Linville Gorge...but I heard they shut the trails down.

Kendale Lakes is still there, though much more 'concrete' than you remember, I'm sure. I'm in the Gables, right off of LeJune. I spend a lot of time in Coconut Grove (Dinner Key Marina is the largest marina on the East Coast...I do boat names/graphics on the side). If you want fresh strawberries (or any other fresh fruits and veggies) now you go way down to Homestead...plenty of u-picks down there with all sorts of fresh goodies.

A final note, I'm a real big fan of hand-crafted ales and I do this with people I've come to know from all over the country. OFFER: I'll send you a 6 of Hurricane Reef (lager) or Key West Ale (ale...duh) in exchange for the Red Oak or whatever handcrafted comes in a bottle up there? (Same offer goes for any others lurking out there!)

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

errrrrr.....did i get off topic again?

whoopsie

apologies to all

Comment

Pisgah! Well have you heard of Spivey Mountian, the one w/ the radio towers on it?
              Thats where I have a house. We you to run across Spivey mtn. over to Bald mountian in West Asheville, N.C. w/ our Jeeps.

Small world.

Also I know Kendall well as I grew up in N.C. & North Miami, Fl.
              But I'm in Ft. Pierce now, getting closer to N.C. w/ each move.

Have A good one,
              JB

Comment

Ld. Jeff. wrote:
                errrrrr.....did i get off topic again?
                ya think????

kreep

Comment

Just to make sure we stay off topic

I have been liking Fat Tire from New belgium Brewing Company but I work just up the road from Redhook brewery abd we have lots and lots of Bars that brew up some taste Micro brews not that I have taste very many .

Comment

How's that Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LrdJeffson
                      A final note, I'm a real big fan of hand-crafted ales and I do this with people I've come to know from all over the country. OFFER: I'll send you a 6 of Hurricane Reef (lager) or Key West Ale (ale...duh) in exchange for the Red Oak or whatever handcrafted comes in a bottle up there? (Same offer goes for any others lurking out there!)

Well, Good news and bad news. Good news is that readoak is plainning a brewrey and will be available in bottles once they finish construction.

Bad news is that they've had the sign up for the "future home of redoak brewry" up for a good 6 years now out on I 40 (between GSO and burlington) on a better note, they have put up a new sign so construction may be nearing a begining date.

Maybe I'll see if I can drag a keg of red oak up to the M&G

on a similar note about Gbreensboro, did you ever go to a bar called Old Town over by UNCG. All they served was microbrews on draft and maybe a few in bottles. Definately a great place to check out.

so you said apartments fof oak ridge out by the airport.. I lived out there too for a while. its been a few years though

Comment

Been a while for me too...I left G'boro in 96. I don't even remember the name of the complex actually, but if you were heading the back way into the airport it was on the left....Deerfield Village maybe?...or something like that. I'll look for the Red Oak sign next weekend. Flyin into RDU on the 30th and heading to Winston for a wedding in Lexington on Sat and then back to rdu to head to miami on Sunday. Gonna swing by Elon along the way and have a cold on at the "Lighthouse Tavern"...Elon's one and only bar (again...maybe things have changed...its been a while). Would still buy you a beer, but unless you're gonna be in Winston, doesn't look good. Thanks a lot for all the good Jeep info though...truly appreciated and if you want a 6 of local miami flavor, send me a PM (otherwise chris might lock this chat again! )

Dave

Comment

This Thread has been moved to off topic...

Comment

Can I petition a move back? Is this really off-topic? This still refernces Wranglers and Beer and that's as Jeeps as one can get...no?

Dave

Comment

no

Comment

Working...
                              X