• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats wrong with the kids?

Gunman Dies, 5 Injured at Ohio School
    AP
    Posted: 2007-10-10 17:02:45

I just saw this and I gota wonder WTF?

We had guns when we were in school but never did I hear of anyone even thinking they would do something as crappy as this. It scares me I have to little ones 16 & 6. both in public school.

I like to think it has to do with a society more concerned with sparing animals than eating them. My kids were out terrorizing anything and everything wild with BB guns at an early age. As soon as possible, they carried and used firearms. Hunting and eating what they killed.
    What this teaches kids is something that "city kids" never learn until it's too late. Guns are permanent. You shoot something, it is gone. For real. For ever.

Comment

agreed ^^^^ the early you can be introduced, familiarized, and taught about guns and how dangerous they can be. the more respect you will have for them and the safer you will be with them..... also, i'm not so sure that "successtech" is not a school for kids with behavior problems.

Comment

I started a reply and had to scrap it...I get rather frothed up over subjects like this.

When I was a kid, no-one thought about doing that kinda poo...and probably would not have made it far anyway...some one would have shot them first. We all had guns, especially during hunting season.

I wonder:

How much does violent video games teach this? It's just a combat simulator disguised as entertainment. (our entertainment was mending fences, chasing cows and bb gun wars...you learned young it hurts to get shot!)

How much more violent can movies get? How much more gruesome can they be, more horrific the tales and visuals? Ever year something worse comes out and is hailed as the "greatest" to date...whats great about that?

I'll stop now...I can really get carried away and I don't want to go there.

Comment

in defense of movies and games, i've watched plent yof violent movies and played plenty of violent video games, and never once had the urge to go ona shooting spree. i still think it boils down to being taught about guns. and the younger the better.

Comment

Parents

Well, Prolly got the gun at home. Parents should keep guns locked up and put away from kids unless they are hunting and teaching kids how to safely use em. I was raised with guns and learned gun safety early on, but they were locked in the gun cabinet after use and cleaning and locked. parents should also talk to their kids daily to see if there are issues bothering em and if they can't handle it get the kid to someone who can. parents should teach kids to respect life and bring them up in a home were an example is set and followed. Video games, movies and TV are violent at times but in the end the responsibility lies with upbringing.
            Last edited by rippin YJ; 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Bingo on the parents.

Ask yourself howmuch time parents spent with their kids 100 years ago, then 80 years ago, then 50 years ago, anfd how much they send with their kids now. Parents don't know their own kids. I saw a piece of data that was shocking the other day. Only 15% of families eat dinner together. 80% of kids that grew up eating dinner together go on to earn their degrees. Kids that eat dinner together with their family are 50% less likely to use drugs. These are just a few stats that may make you wonder about the value of spending time together as a family. When kids start getting older and start screeming for independance, they need it a little at a time, not all at once. They still need the walls of rules and expectations. These same rules need parents there to enforce. Children are not a possesion, they are a life long commitment.

The parents of these kids need to be held accountable and punished.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Comment

It doesn't help that the media is showing these incidents every couple of minutes. Kids lacking attention see this as a great way for attention, and don't really understand the concequences.

Comment

Yeah, when I was in school, it was different.
                  (no jokes about the stone age, folks)
                  There is some level of respect missing these days.
                  I know that my daughter's experience going into the military put her on a much better path than what she was... because prior to that she was off-track in a bad way.
                  I wish I had an answer. It's a sad situation.
                  And people - the adults who should be providing leadership and guidance - demagogue every issue for political gain.

Comment

Anyone watching Rome? Strange parallel with the United States current condition. Totally out of control, me first, do what I want condition. Scarey.

Comment

Holy cow - when did this happen and where? Is there a link to the story?

Comment

Cleveland, last afternoon/evening.
                        FoxNews, CNN both had heavy coverage.
                        Linky to FOX
                        http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301065,00.html

Comment

Rippin's technique...

The reason this is so difficult for so many of us to understand is because we HAD Parents and said parents invested themselves in RAISING us. They did not allow us to raise ourselves. Parents, discipline, respect and courtesy. The last three don't happen by accident.

If you let a DVD player raise your kid then you SUCK. If you're smoking crack or sucking on a wine bottle while five of your offspring run the streets then you SUCK. (Don't forget prescription drugs...)

Man, this Rome is Falling theme is really gettin' me down today.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                            The reason this is so difficult for so many of us to understand is because we HAD Parents and said parents invested themselves in RAISING us. They did not allow us to raise ourselves. Parents, discipline, respect and courtesy. The last three don't happen by accident.

If you let a DVD player raise your kid then you SUCK. If you're smoking crack or sucking on a wine bottle while five of your offspring run the streets then you SUCK. (Don't forget prescription drugs...)

Man, this Rome is Falling theme is really gettin' me down today.
                            Don't get too brought down about it...
                            a large part of the fallen Rome thing had to do with barbarian invasions (okay, we have porous borders too), but the memory of Rome built the governments of Western Europe (England, France, Germany, Spain) that our culture springs from.

Comment

I agree it has a lot to do with upbringing but we still didn't think or do like that.
                              and ya I was raised in the city but we still had guns around and knew what dead and killing was.
                              I just think it is very sad.

oh Kelly I got it off AOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X