Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Bushwackers Installed and "Mud" tested!

The one good thing about living in the desert.......when it rains, there's plenty of mud to play in. I wish I would've had the camera because the view over the canyon was sweet. It's been raining here in NM for the last day or so and the flares guided the mud right past my buddy's head, (he stuck his head out of the window).

There's this narrow trail that takes you along the rim of the canyon before you get to some trails leading to the bottom. If you have the nerve to look down and left as you go, about half way down, there's the remains of about 8 trucks/cars that were either purposely pushed off the cliff or rode too close to the edge - it's about a 200ft. drop. Then even further down there's a couple more. It's kinda eerie on your way back across that trail so you tend to concentrate on staying straight. Things were getting slick fast so after helping a Bronco avoid a rollover and pulling a Yamaha out to high ground we decided to play on the regular hills before calling it a day. If I can back out there tomorrow I'll take the camera.

So did you get some pic's?

I don't think you "Mud" tested unless I see some Pic's? :blah:

Comment

That's right...no believum until I get some pics, hehehehe. So how did the install go? I'm thinking of getting a set for my 99, and I'm curious as to how much cutting was involved.

Time to get rid of the factory flares, as they are about to work themselves off. Have to pop one or another back into place everytime I wash and wax. I'm surprised they haven't just fallen off on their own like I've seen happen on other XJ's

matt

Comment

well you have pics of the new flairs right?

Comment

Wow, guess I should've expected that kinda response. The pics I wanted to take were of the trail and canyon. And not that I'm sappy or nothing but I happened to be there at sunset and it seemed like a setting for a "Only in a Jeep" ad. I'm planning on going back tonite WITH the camera, I just hope it rains some more.

As far as the install goes, it wasn't too bad. I used a link on the web from another install as a guide and just hammered the back wells instead of cutting into the tack welds like the other guy did. It was a little tedious getting things ready but once the holes were drilled and tapped the flares lined up nicely and fit more secure than I expected. They're solid. I cut the fronts a few weeks ago, following along the existing flare in the sheet metal. It was a little more than the Bushwacker instructions called for but still leaves plenty of room to attach the flares. On the backs I just hammered the existing flares up after making similar radial cuts and was able to get them tucked in a little better so you can't see them, maybe the older XJ's had bigger rear wheel wells?

Here's a couple pics that show what was left of the mud after coming back thru some big puddles and after the rain gave it bath over nite. You can still see how the muddy water was directed past the pass-window. *Moderator, I have no idea how big these pics will be, if there's a limit - sorry in advance.

http://dukecity-xj.150m.com/images/2...7_121112AA.JPG

http://dukecity-xj.150m.com/images/2...7_121301AA.JPG

The flares actually make my tires look smaller and the lift looks like a little more than stock. Maybe I can fit some 35's on her now! :g

And here's the link that I used for the install. http://www.jeepin.com/features/bushw...eset.htm<br />

Comment

Alright...now we're talkin

The flares look great :t Now if I can just convince the wife to go with them.

Matt

Comment

. *Moderator, I have no idea how big these pics will be, if there's a limit - sorry in advance.

hahaha only sorry for the users on dial up

Comment

Those look pretty sweet

Comment

Originally posted by mdwatkins
                  Alright...now we're talkin

The flares look great :t Now if I can just convince the wife to go with them.

Matt
                  Have her stick her head outta the window while going thru some mud, that'll talk her into it!

Comment

Looks very nice I like the flares were they easy to put on?

Comment

No, not too bad at all really. If I had started cold from fender cuts to complete install it would have taken around 5 hours, including breaks. I don't know how much more crawling on the driveway my knees can take, it's been a long couple months already. I saw the pics on your site and that's some mud! Send some of that Washington rain down here.

By the way, did you pull your rear 8.8 from an explorer? How hard was that install? And how much more narrow is it? Backspacers needed? I ask because it's like pulling teeth to get some people in Texas to check out a D44 axle in their yard and the explorer axles are easy to come by locally. And the disc brakes are a bonus!

Comment

The 8.8 Install went very well I basically bolted it in! but the spring mounts are about 3/8 to 3/4 of an inch narrower then the stock D35 I pulled out I just flexed the spirngs in. The over all length difference is 3/4 of an inch narrower then the D35 i did buy spacers but I am not running with them at the moment. I ordered a rear SOA kit from MORE but I have not installed it yet, I used the shock mounts and u bolts from the kit, also I ordered the E-brake cables from MORE, but I had to cut off and re weld the mounting plate on the frame (most any muffler shop will weld it back on for you in the right place)The e-brake cable is not needed to get the regular brakes working they are totally different systems the e-brake is a drum style and the normal brakes are disk. I had a brake line made custom from a local hose shop but I used my stock booster pump. The really nice thing that I like about swapping out the axle was I had it on the bench and was able to replace the gears, paint and assemble the whole thing before I pulled the old one out.

Comment

*sniff sniff* thats a beutiful jeep...

Comment

Working...
                          X