X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cj7 Engine Swap

Have an 84 CJ7 w/ factory 150 cid 4cyl, 4 spd, that I want to replace with a 304. Any suggestions or problems that I might encounter before I start this project.

use sbc instead of amc.

Comment

What transmission do you have? T-176 or T-4? If you have the T-4 you might want to think about swapping it before you throw a V-8 at it.

Comment

i have access to a chev 4.3 v6, efi - how hard to change over to this combination?

Comment

not sure- just purchased the jeep- probably a t-4

Comment

My 350 chevy was more or less a “bolt in”. I have a T-176 trans and used a bellhousing from a Iron Duke motor. I made my own engine mounts and bought a conversion radiator. Course mines carbureted, so I only had to hook up the hei and starter.

Once you decide what engine to go with you can collect the correct parts to make it happen. Again, I would replace the T-4. Its not meant for any kind of power.

Comment

But his is an ’84, which means it has the AMC 4-banger. This is not an easy swap. The AMC 4 has a different bolt pattern than the other AMC engines. And the T-4 would be very suspect behind a V-8. If I were dead set on a getting rid of the 4, I’d probably look for a 304/T-176 combo with the bell housing included. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way. And then you would still have to deal with hooking up the hydro clutch to that unit.

Comment

i'm going to say an SBC 305 or 350 plus a good tranny would be cheaper and you'll have a vast array of parts available for it. i'm speaking from experiance. i upgraded to the amc 304 and really wish i'd gone for the SBC now. because he's going to have to mod the drive line anyways, SBC will definitely be cheaper. a 305, while possibly pushing it, would not destroy a t4 unless you abuse it.

Comment

Sorry to chime in on this conversation, but I have a question for the veteran SBC swappers. Does anyone have the part numbers for the radiator hoses for the conversion radiator to the Chevy motor? I'm 99% ready to roll, but I need some antifreeze pumping thru it's veins.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 14/88
                    Sorry to chime in on this conversation, but I have a question for the veteran SBC swappers. Does anyone have the part numbers for the radiator hoses for the conversion radiator to the Chevy motor? I'm 99% ready to roll, but I need some antifreeze pumping thru it's veins.
                    Thanks.
                    Dayco #22417 for the lower hose and #70651 for the upper. They will need to be trimmed a little, but the fit is good.

Comment

Hello gents, here some of the swap info requested.

The 1984 CJ7 4cyl trans is T-4 for sure and it has a small 1" X 14 spline input shaft that is weak and should be swapped out when used with any other engine. The bellhousing is also an oddball pattern that is same as GM 2.8-3.4L 60 degree V6's. That tranny will handle any small V8 if babied or a 4.3 V6 is a good choice too. The AMC V8 will bolt to the 6cyl bellhousing with no problem. The T167 tranny will give a much more durable combo in long run. Since you have 4 cyl. Jeep you will need different driveshaft lengths.

On engine brand thats a personal call. I'm a bowtie man from birth so I went Chevy on mine, but my next one is going to be an AMC 360.
                      AMC engines are costly to overhaul and finding good used ones is tough.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I have some research and lots of work ahead of me. I'm just looking for the easiest and cheepest way to replace the 4 cyl. Don't have to have tear jerking power- just more than the 4 banger.

Comment

Motorhead
                          Could that be Gates part numbers on the hoses? Dayco doesn't make a part #22417, but Gates does..

Comment

Originally posted by 14/88
                            Motorhead
                            Could that be Gates part numbers on the hoses? Dayco doesn't make a part #22417, but Gates does..
                            Could be. I wrote down those part numbers from a old post on here. I am just running flex hoses now but want to change to the preformed hoses for a cleaner look. At least the upper hose.

Comment

Originally posted by smw_55
                              Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I have some research and lots of work ahead of me. I'm just looking for the easiest and cheepest way to replace the 4 cyl. Don't have to have tear jerking power- just more than the 4 banger.
                              look for someone who is swapping I6 to V8, they might let you have their 4.2 pretty cheap. i also like the 4.3 vortec idea.

as far as V8's go, i am a brand loyalist (mostly). i wouldn't put anything other than an AMC motor in an AMC jeep. then again, i always gotta be the different one too.

Comment

Working...
                              X