X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oem steps

my friend needed steps for his 03 Rubicon. So I gave him my oem steps from my 02 sport. Now every thing matches up. but the bolts don't fit. I can not get out the reducers that are in my tj. Dose anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Drill and re-tap for a bolt that will fit?

Comment

Originally posted by TJSPORT02
      I can not get out the reducers that are in my tj.
      I am confused as to what you mean by reducers? Are they riv nuts? Rivetted in nuts? I don't know how to describe them.

Drill out the smaller hole and go with bigger hardware as suggested above or use washers to make the larger hole smaller......

Comment

just tell him sidesteps will break off eventually and hes saving the work of takin the da*n things off when theyre hanging.. after i busted up mine, i just kicked down on em and they came right off...

Comment

I busted mine, that's why I fabbed up these.

http://a673.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...06bc53a660.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by wrangler1120
            just tell him sidesteps will break off eventually and hes saving the work of takin the da*n things off when theyre hanging.. after i busted up mine, i just kicked down on em and they came right off...
            Ditto. The '03 and newer use a different size bolt. Go to a hardware store and find the right bolt.

Comment

...but if his '03 did not originally come with steps, Jeep would not have put the inserts in. They are called "nutserts". Go on ebay and type in "Jeep step nutserts" there's a guy who sells the right quantity and size for his Jeep...I think '01 and higher simply had fewer/more bolts??

Will be 10x cheaper than going through the dealership...they charge like $4.95 EACH...and you need at least 14 of them!!

Sorry...here's the link...you only need 8 of them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

Screw the nutserts. Use a washer or a flange nut. The only advantage to using a nutsert is to save time on the assembly line or if it has to be taken off a lot.

Comment

Tell me why again is he using the oem steps?
                  Is it because they're "free" or because he needs steps?
                  'Cause the first good bump you catch with those factory jobs, they're toast.

Yeah, I know, mine are still on, but not for too much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-racer#2
                    Screw the nutserts. Use a washer or a flange nut. The only advantage to using a nutsert is to save time on the assembly line or if it has to be taken off a lot.
                    But the frame isn't open...isn't a nutsert the only way to provide a bolting point?? You can't just reach in from the back side and hold a nut....right??

Comment

you guys really got me lost.i know my factory steps were mounted with these goofy bolts that went up thru a hole and back down another,with a nut on each end. why would anyone want to put those jaffe sidesteps on a rubi any way???

Comment

Working...
                      X