Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• math quiz?

did anyone else get this email?
    3 guys go to a hotel to spend the night, the room is $30, so they each pay $10. once they left for their room, the manager remebered the room was only $25 a night . he sends the bell boy to their room w/5 singles. on the way he cann't figure how to divide 3 into 5 so he pockets $2. so if each guy only paid $9 (=27). the bell boy kept $2,(=29) were the fock :roll: is the other $1 ?????????? TJ

How many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop???? 1....2.....3.... crunch the world will never know.

hahaha Dude I remember that one but I can't remember how it worked out.

Comment

it was supose to give you the answer when you sent it to 5 other people. of course it didn't, what a brain freezer upper. :x

Comment

hahaha you fell for that one those never work. chain letter.

Comment

There's NO WAY the math in that will work out.... My brain seized up after about ten minutes of trying to sneak up on the answer....

Comment

it took me a few minutes but here ya go. the room is 25, but the guys paid $9 a piece, 3X9=27, bell boy couldn't figure out how to split it up, so he gave them the whole $5 and got a $2 tip. I think that's right. I know it doesn't add up really, but think about it for a little bit. Or I could be totally wrong :x

Comment

that works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 83CJ701DakRT
                it took me a few minutes but here ya go. the room is 25, but the guys paid $9 a piece, 3X9=27, bell boy couldn't figure out how to split it up, so he gave them the whole $5 and got a $2 tip. I think that's right. I know it doesn't add up really, but think about it for a little bit. Or I could be totally wrong :x
                After trying to figure it out myself, i am in no position to argue with you over it, sounds good to me.

Comment

its a mind trick

The guys gave 10 each. they are going to get 1 back (each) so you think that they only paid 9 a piece. but they didn't. It is a mind molesting puzzle. They throw in the 9 dollar thing to throw you off.
                  Get out a sheet of paper and write this down... 10 10 10 (what they paid)

30 dollars total
                  -25 dollars owed
                  ---------------------
                  5 dollars too much
                  - 2 dollars bellhop took for himself
                  ----------------------
                  3 dollars to each person

ok still with me

the three guys realistically only paid 9.33 cents a piece. (but they thought they paid 9 dollars each since they each got one back)

9.33 x3 = 27.99 (not gonna mess with the fractions so we'll say 28dollars)
                  and the bellhop has the other two dollars.

the whole 9 dollar thing is throw in to confuse you on it all. eliminate the 9 dollars and you can figure it out.

Comment

We had that problem in a 300 level math class on problem solving when I was in college. We were supposed to give that problem to middle school students to figure out. I understood the answer back then for about 5 minutes before my mind went blank.

Here is another one for you:

Lets say you have a huge sheet of paper. You fold the piece of paper in half(doesn't matter which way), then in half again. Let say that the paper is big enough.....how many times do oyu have to fold the paper in half before the thickness is as tall as the Sears Tower?

I do havea few more if you guys are interested. It is amazing that I have had middle school students figure out these problems in about 15 minutes, where we spend a week or 2 on them in college.

Comment

Originally posted by bya72
                      We had that problem in a 300 level math class on problem solving when I was in college. We were supposed to give that problem to middle school students to figure out. I understood the answer back then for about 5 minutes before my mind went blank.

It is amazing that I have had middle school students figure out these problems in about 15 minutes, where we spend a week or 2 on them in college.
                      That's how this whole thing started, a son of a buddy of mine, who's in the 5th grade sent me the email. They couldn't figure it out either. Glad to have you newbies aboard, thanks for your input. I'm still lost TJ

Comment

ok if a piece of paper is 1/64 inch thick (guessing not for sure) the paper would have to have 1,113,600 levels to reach the 1,450 ft (height of the sears tower). It has got to be one big sheet of paper. If my figures are correct, that means you would have to fold the paper over 1055 times to achieve the 1,113,600 levels. I have way too much time on my hands at work. Someone please shoot me.

Comment

:t BANG j/k TJ

Comment

Thanx

Comment

The actual answer is 22.??? times. The thickness increases exponentially. At 22 folds, you are a few hundred feet short. At 23 times, you go way over. I can't remember the formula off hand. but we actaully measured the thickness of a piece of paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X