X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the Tools

First things first working on your car in not as hard as people make it out to be. Having a reference book is paramount though. The Chilton’s is less useless than the Haynes manual. I have both. I also have a Factory service manual. The FSM covers the vast amount of grey area the Haynes or Chilton’s leave behind.

I have not had to touch my steering yet so I will not comment on that. Disk brakes are a cake walk though. On your jeep they are held in by two bolts. The reference manuals will go into the details on how to check each component and how to service them. I will caution you with this. Items such as your braking system, and your steering system, when not functioning properly, can cause serious bodily harm, and or DEATH! This applies to you and the people around you. So if you want to learn how to work on your own vehicle. MAKE SURE YOU DO IT RIGHT! To ensure this you must read up on the subject and know what you are getting into.

Good Luck working on your jeep,

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLander
      DEATH! MAKE SURE YOU DO IT RIGHT!
      great sounds like fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tex
        great sounds like fun
        All we are trying to say is read up on the subject at hand. They ask any questions you may have here or at your local garage. And finally just make sure you know and can do the job right.

My $.02

Comment

Kind Of Important Stuff

TEX, what they are trying to say, is kinda like what happened to my daughter today. I let her and boyfriend change left front tire, and didn't go out and check things out. So at about one o'clock this afternoon, I get a call that her tire fell off on the main highway through town. Tire and wheel kinda left them, then hit not one, but two cars. Nobody hurt, only killed the wheel, rotor, studs, etc., but it coulda been BAD.

Comment

Originally posted by kingchip
            I let her and boyfriend change left front tire, and didn't go out and check things out.

well there is your problem! Get rid of him.. no but really im glad nobody was hurt

Comment

i would say if it's not a daily driver and it can sit until you figure it out wrench away. if you get scared buy some depends. if you can remember how it came out put it back in the opposite order. drum brakes aren't hard at all. people see the springs and get scared (see depends suggestion above). i had to change the brakes on my full floater d70 and the shops wanted $350 for it. it took me about 45-60 minutes. i spent about $100 dollars including a nice set of hub sockets. steering box isn't hard either. leadfoot is right about all the parts on all the cars, but if you're just working on yours you don't need to know all the others yet. i know my CJ and my f-250 inside and out because i've worked on them a lot. i don't know jack shiat about ricers, but it doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Watch and Learn

You can learn alot from people who know whats going on, thats how most people become good at working on their own stuff, am I wrong? It's good to have somebody to look over your shoulder and offer constructive criticism. You got any mechanic friends who like free beer?

Comment

Working...
                X