X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote starters

Anyone here have one? I'm wondering what exactly the difference is between tach and tachless modes. Mine has a hard time starting when it's really cold out because the max setting is 2 seconds of crank time. The XJ needs a little more than that when it's like -8 degrees. If I went to tach mode, would that make the remote start crank until it read from the tach that the engine started?

Tony, wish I could help you out on this one, but I don't have a clue as to what type is in my '98. No paperwork came with the XJ when I purchased it for the remote stater other than the indication is was factory. Even though the '98 has a similar delayed start similar to your problem, it starts even when cold.

Comment

O man remote start would be sooooooooo nice to have. WE were looking at a used 2007 grand cherokee the other day and it had an after market on on it. The sales guy had us standing next to the jeep and he told us to watch for him to come out the door. He had to go get the keys for it. He was an easy 50 yards away BIG dealer lot. and he waved then started it up from that far way. The manual said it had a 130 yard range to it. It was a two way remote so if it wasn't started it would tell you or if it was it showed if it was running or not. That adn if you set the temp to 73 for inside cabin the remote will beep at you letting you know it's hit that 73 mark you set it at.

Comment

Wow Jdogg...that sounds pretty sweet! If only you could have shut the salesman off with the remote too! (Sorry...I generally can't stand car sales).

Rstarch...well, I think for some reason, this is what my hard start issue has always been about. Anytime I start with the key, it's all good. Fires right up. When it's brutally cold, it cranks harder, but that's normal.

When I use the remote...seems like it's just a second short of starting the Jeep. Gas then gets built up in the combustion chamber and it's hard to start even with the key. Might need to just upgrade my remote start...something like what JDogg was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by jdogg4 View Post
          O man remote start would be sooooooooo nice to have. WE were looking at a used 2007 grand cherokee the other day and it had an after market on on it. The sales guy had us standing next to the jeep and he told us to watch for him to come out the door. He had to go get the keys for it. He was an easy 50 yards away BIG dealer lot. and he waved then started it up from that far way. The manual said it had a 130 yard range to it. It was a two way remote so if it wasn't started it would tell you or if it was it showed if it was running or not. That adn if you set the temp to 73 for inside cabin the remote will beep at you letting you know it's hit that 73 mark you set it at.

I had one like that on my truck, till I dropped the remote and it stoped worked!!

now I have a cheaper one on it, it works well but doesn't have the cool 2-way LCD display on it.

Its nice to fire up the truck while I'm getting ready for work. That, and its just cool to hear the v10 idling in the driveway when I'm getting ready.

Both the remote starts I've installed had the Tach option, but I didn't install either. I dont even remeber what it said they were for, but I didn't use it either way.

Comment

I forgot the brand of it I'm hunting on line to find the name of it. The guy said it was a pricey setup, and YES I wish I could have turned the guy off with that clicker. He was cool at first by the time we left I had to tell him to go pound sand. I was like I'M JUST LOOKING! Do you hear the words coming out of my mouth? He was all into it like he was going to tide me over and have me drive off the lot. I told him a good 10 times he got pushy and I told him to knock it off. At one point I was even lying to him. I told him I was foreclosing on my house and that I knocked up my nanny and the wife left with 4 kids and wants more than I make for child support. The dude really kept trying.

Comment

I have a funny feeling this thread is going to turn into: Don't car salesmen suck?

Yeah, 95% of all car salespeople are absolute pigs and don't give a rats azz what your situation is as long as they can push the car on you. Hey, if you default, it's not like it's coming out of their pocket. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are a lot of good salespeople out there...I just haven't met one yet. This forum's JeepTales seems to be the only exception. It's not like they really serve much of a purpose anymore anyhow. The internet is enough of a tool that I don't need Pete the salesman telling me about what I'm buying.

Anyhow, back on track. If ANYONE knows what the difference is between tach mode and tachless mode, I'd really appreciate a little schoolin'!

-T

Comment

I know one guy down in denver at the GO Jeep dealership. Cool guy just helped out the mother in law find her grand cherokee. He was an older guy so not all pushy and in your face like these younger guys.
                He just showed us the tag with info told us his name and gave us his card so if we had questions to call him on his cell and he would get us what ever we wanted. Told him the price range and what we had to possible trade in. He ran numbers on the trade in and we didn't like what he could do for us. He looked at me and said if you about this craigs list thing on the web you could get more for that car that way. and I did.
                He was laid back the whole time like if he made a sale great if not his world wasn't coming to an end. Never pushed to get any info. He asked once and never pushed the issue it was odd having a guy like that. He went out of his way to find us other modles at there other location that we might like to look at. He said if we were intrested he'd have a guy drive it over. So they did and that was the one she liked. She has it sitting in her garage right now. Way cool guy odds are we'll go back to him to get a new car for the lady.

O and here is the remote start. Not sure if this is the same one looks like it and it's the same brand. They have a few that do different stuff, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=701

Comment

Wow Jdogg...that is a sweet remote start! I don't know that I need the security features, but if I'm swapping mine out, I just might go the whole 9. Thanks for the link! I'll have to see what retailers carry them.

Yeah, that dealer guy sounds like he's in that small 5% of salespeople. He'll make his money in return sales...if you find one stick with'em. They are a rare breed...

Comment

It was a bad *** alarm.

and I'd say more like the 2 or 3% at the most.

Comment

Remote Start

I CAN NOT AFFORD A REMOTE START SO I LIVE IN ARIZONA. WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE USE FOR MY CAR IS 73 OR BETTER MOST OF THE TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Aulds View Post
                        I CAN NOT AFFORD A REMOTE START SO I LIVE IN ARIZONA. WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE USE FOR MY CAR IS 73 OR BETTER MOST OF THE TIME.
                        WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?

They work for the AC too!! Heck, at 70 I have the air cranked!

Comment

My dad has a remote start on his 96 XJ, and has found that if he leaves the defroster on and tries to start it with the remote, the remote start unit won't even crank the engine. If he just sets it to heat only, it starts just fine. I don't know if it has a tach or tachless mode on it though, I couldn't find anything (the brand name is Avital, not sure what yours is).

Comment

Mine is a comfort start from Mars. Works well, but it won't crank long enough in the real cold mornings (like today) which make it pretty useless. Max crank time is only like 2 seconds...about 1 second to short.

When it does work it doesn't matter if I have the defogger or straight heat on. If you are talking about the rear defrost...well, I can't leave that on in my XJ. It can only be turned on with a switch when the ignition is "on." Can't be left on like the heat...

Comment

This clifford one does it all might even give you the happy ending if your nice.

AC or heat is good but Defrost is the key for remote starts really if you think about it.

That and the two way feature is crazy cool lets you know when it's up to temp if someone is breaking in all that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X