X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubicon exp. ride comfort

how does the rubicon express lift kit ride? that rear leaf pack looks pretty heavy duty!! it looks as if it might ride rough. If best please compare with the stock ride quality.

I like them better than an add aleaf or a block kit for the fact they're going to do the job I need them to do. block kits and add a leafs are always going to be smother or a softer ride. Mine is still in the break in stage and it's not rough just a bit bouncy. I like that kinda ride however. Thats just one aspect of driving a jeep.

as far as comfort goes I commute every day to work over 20 miles or so one way and It doesn't bother me one bit.

Comment

what lift do you have again???

Comment

The RE 3160 4.5 super flex

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/images/RE6130.jpg

Comment

jdogg what do you think of that lift. I was thinking of getting the rustys 6" lift but I have heard so many great things about RE lifts. Do you think maybe I should get the RE 4.5 and a body lift

Comment

I really like the RE line of lifts that they sale.
            I love it I think this was the best way I could have gone. the lift install wasn't two bad for a first time on a XJ. The SYE I was really freaking out about the Hack and tap but turned out to be easyer than I thought it would have been. I love the ride this thing has. It was stiff for a day or so but it's settling in and I love the OME shock setup for it. It's really going to take some convincing for me to go with another brand of shock later on.
            I've heard good things about rustys except for there leaf packs. I hear they sag more than other leaf packs out there on the market.
            As for a body lift that not possible with XJ's there a unibody so you can't do a body lift on them.

Comment

sorry i always say a body lift but I meant like a block and spacer lift. I dont know why but I always call that a body lift

Comment

I would go with the leafpacks over blocks for the back end for sure. Save up the extra month if you have to for them. block just give the back end lift but do nothing for the flexing capabilitys. the ride will be different aswell.

Comment

jdogg, you refer to your sye
                  The SYE I was really freaking out about the Hack and tap but turned out to be easyer than I thought it would have been
                  Could you give a little more clarification on just what you're refering to. I'm familiar with the way the XJ slip yoke and the SYE kits work, but I'm not familiar with the hack and tap. I've got a feeling that I'm going to end up having to do something like this when I lift mine and it's making me pretty nervous

Matt

Comment

Not a proble What you do is take off your drive shaft and then you have your yoke that is sticking out of the back of your tcase. To install the sye you have to cut part of the yoke off leaving one inch left. thats the hack part right cause you hack that yoke off. You really don't want to mess this part up cause other wise you have to buy a new one crack open the tcase and put a new one in and try it again. not a cheap mistake you really want to make. then you have to drill a hole down the center of whats left of the yoke. thats the tap part your taping it out. the kit comes with a nice drill bit I used a smaller one with a jig to start the hole so that the hole would be as straight as possible. then take the larger one that comes with it and drill it out. then they give you a tap to thread it out. Then you put the sye adapter plate on it and from there you just bolt on the new drive shaft and your good to go.

I so didn't want to mess anything up. but it wasn't that bad I would do it again for anyone that needed. help. the drilling is the hardest part cause of the angle and being under the jeep having to hold up the drill and push on it at the same time.

Comment

How did you hack off the yoke? Hack saw?

Also I'm assuming that once all this is done you're going to be in need of a new drive shaft? If so how much did the new one run ya?

Just trying to get a good idea of the total $ involved so I don't get left high and dry with the XJ half done .

Matt...

Comment

I used a cutting will on a circular saw. the new smallones work great. just taped back the safty sheild on it took some masking tape marked of and inch. Took me Three cuts. I would cut for a few mins stop let it cool of a bit then did it again then one last time and it came right off.

Ya some people get a new drive shaft others have theres altered. I didn't want to deal with that so I got the one from RE. I don't remember how much it was. I think I paid about 350 for the DS and sye kit. I could check when I get home.

Comment

350 for both the SYE and the DS nice :razz:

I know where I'm lookin when it comes time to do all this next month.

Thanks for the info.

Matt

Comment

the sye was 90 and the cv driveshaft was 240 so 330 that was a year ago so about 350 or around that is what your going to be looking at. depends on the sales that are going on at the time.

Comment

Thanks for the info jdogg.

One more question. Where's the best place to get the R.E. 4.5?

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X