X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride height

Anyone know stock height for a 98 xj? Center of wheel to fender? Put a 4wd 2in. lift on a friends this weekend and wanted to see if we got any more than 2in. Thanks.

Still have your stock fender flares? Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare. 17.5 inches for the front. 17 inches for the back.

Comment

why is it a half an inch taller in the front.

Comment

My girlfriends stock 98 classic is 18" in the front ( from the flare to the center of the wheel) Does this mean hers has the tall coils from the factory?

Comment

It can sometimes differ by up to a 1/2".

Comment

How do you measure how much taller a jeep would be from measureing from the rocker to the ground.

Comment

if you are really worried about how much lift ya got, ya need to measure before you put it on.

Comment

Originally posted by metalgear
                if you are really worried about how much lift ya got, ya need to measure before you put it on.
                Where is the hotroddenal logistics in that?

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
                  Where is the hotroddenal logistics in that?

Because when i bought the jeep it already had a cheap 3 inch lift kit in it already... And i have no clue what the orginal ride hit is from the ground to the rocker.

Comment

That's why you measure from center of hub to fender flare. If you measure from the ground to the rocker, that takes into account the difference in height of the tire as well as the suspension lift.

Comment

are those measurements the same for an older XJ like my own?

Comment

Originally posted by joshs1ofakindxj
                        are those measurements the same for an older XJ like my own?
                        Yup! At time of production. After 10 years or so of driving, you have to consider a bit of fudge factor in those measurements.

Comment

Why does it really matter how tall it is?

I dont have a clue how much lift I have, nor do I really care.

Other to tell people how much lift you have, I dont see a real reason to know?

Once you start cutting your fenders its kinda hard to measure anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
                            Why does it really matter how tall it is?

I dont have a clue how much lift I have, nor do I really care.

Other to tell people how much lift you have, I dont see a real reason to know?

Once you start cutting your fenders its kinda hard to measure anyway!
                            Nor do I see what your comments have to do with this thread. There has been no mention of cutting except for your comment. If there had been then your comment would have merit.

As it is, most XJ owners don't find the need or desire to cut, so measurements help for tire fitment, adjustments in suspension, etc. It makes a difference to many of us.

Your XJ is built the way you want, so why not let the rest of us do ours our way. No disrespect intended.

Comment

Just because you don’t believe in cutting your XJ, doesn't mean others can’t, or don’t cut theirs! Thats why their are tons of writeups on every major Jeep site that explains how to cut an XJ, cause most peopled dont do it, that makes lots of sense! Sorry if my opionions dont fit what you think you should do with your XJ, but maybe someone else on this board wants to do theirs diffrently then you, its their XJ why not give them the things to lookout for when doing their built?

You guys are talking about the best way to measure your lift (for what reason, i still don’t know) and I just thought I'd remind people that when they cut, they can no longer measure from that spot! I've found that most XJ owners DO cut at lest a little bit, so therefore trying to measure to your stock flares doesn't work too well when you CUT THEM OFF! I still don’t see how measuring your exact lift height serves any purpose other then to tell your friends how tall it is! I have NEVER needed to know my lift height at any point in my build, or anyone else’s builds that I've helped with!

Comment

Working...
                              X