X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puddles on passanger and driver side when raining

My 94 yj that i am rebuilding keeps leaking when it rains. It seems that its coming from the vents at the bottom. I was readin that it could either be that the flap is clogged and wont close, or the drain hose is clogged. Does anybody else have any idea as to what it could be?

Generally it's the flapper door inside the airbox plenum that wont close.

Comment

just get use to it like i had to remove the drain plugs and put down a bed liner always will help to protect.

Comment

what type of bedliner did u use

Comment

I used the Herculiner stuff, just pulled out carpet, cleaned floor real good, and put on with a paint brush, you can put the carpet back down after that but I went for the utilitarian look and left it out

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolyj
            My 94 yj that i am rebuilding keeps leaking when it rains. It seems that its coming from the vents at the bottom. I was readin that it could either be that the flap is clogged and wont close, or the drain hose is clogged. Does anybody else have any idea as to what it could be?
            Mine does it too. I was told the vent thing and also was suggested the foam seal at the windshield. It doesn't happen every time it rains so chasing it has been a pain in the butt.

Comment

On my ’88 soft top, I found that the windshield is two pieces of sheet metal spot welded together. I took the channel off of the outside edge of the window frame and sealed along the joint between the two frame pieces with silicone sealant. Worked for me but your results may vary.

Comment

Have same problem. On search have read that most likely cause is vent on hood that has drain hole plugged. Search the forums and it will explain how to fix.

Lil Red

Comment

another idea

i had the same deal on 88 yj, but i found the cowl seal( under the windshield, at the fold) was dry rotted. when it raind the water would get caught in the "lip" of the seal and drain into the jeep via a broken section of the seal. yes i sat in my jeep for two hours to find the source of my leak...sad. just another thing to look at.

Comment

leaks on floor

I had the same problem and tracked it to the cowl seal which was rotted in places under the windshield joint. The lip outside was intact enough to channel the water to the rotted part.

Our forum host carries this part at $32.99:
                    Cowl Seal, YJ, 1987-95
                    Part #: 55009127

TomZ

Comment

I had a similar problem on my 93 yj. My drain hose under the hood was clogged. Not sure what it's called but it's a hose on the fire wall on the passenger side. Just pull it off clean it out and pop it back on. I also think my rusted out windshield frame and old cowl seal was a problem which I had to replace. Anyway, clean the hose out and that may be it. Do a search on previous fixes.
                      GO BEARS

Comment

more puddles

I am new to this forum and my lingo in now quite up to par. So please forgive me for sounding like a complete blonde. After reading this thread and realizing that i am not the only one with this problem (thank god) I now have one question What is a cowl seal/hose? and where do I find it? and how easy is it to fix?. I did however pull the drain plugs a couple of years ago but the carpet still gets soaked, will that lead to rusting on the floorboard?

Comment

I put herculiner down and loved it... It was a pain in the *** to do though

Comment

The cowl seal is the rubber seal under the windshield frame. You have to take the bolts out on the top and side of the frame and pull the frame forward to lay down on the hood. Have to be careful because you can crack the lower brackets if you force it. And oh boy here we go, I can just here it. "I can't get the bolts to turn, they seem frozen on and starting to strip." Not a diss on you it's just that it happen a lot. I had that problem and had to drill several out. It was a pain. A lot of PB Blaster helped!! I'm certainly not as experienced as most here but I did have the problem and fixed it. Now yours may not be the cowl seal and since it can be or could be a pain to go to that extreme, I'd check some other fixes before that. My windshield was cracked and frame rusting out so I had to fix it anyway. The hose is short and more like a corrigated hard plastic hose under the hood on the firewall on the passengers side. And yes, water will cause rust eventually. Good luck.

Comment

One other thing re drain plugs. If you pulled them and left them out then probably water will come in whenever you drive it in the rain causing water on the floor boards. Obviously that's different than water coming from under the dash. Anyway, I was missing one and was to cheap to buy new ones, mainly because I only needed one and a set was more than what I wanted to pay. The guy at the dealership told me to put some silicone on duct tape and tape it under and over the hole. Then I can take it off whenever I need to and do it again. Worked for me and like I said, I'm cheap but honest about it. Gotta love Jeeps.

Comment

Working...
                              X