X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubicon Diff Fluid

I noticed on my Rubicon that the axles have a little drain plug in addition to the fill plug on the pumpkin cover. Does that mean the cover doesn't have to be removed for fluid changes? It looks like any other gearbox, just drain and refill. In addition, when I went to the dealer to purchase the friction additive, I was told I need it for both the front and back diffs. At around $8 bucks a bottle (for something the size of a small 35mm film canister), if I only need one, I only want to purchase one. I thought Rubicon 44's were lockable front and back, but if not locked, open front/limited back? PS: While there, I was looking at the new 06's and 07's, and imho, the 06's look much better. They are having some killer deals on 06's!! Thanks guys.

personally i always take the cover off, just so i can take a look inside and make sure there are no bad signs like metal shavings or gouges. as for the modifier i'm not sure, i've just put it in both. but i would like to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by fourwheelin49r
      personally i always take the cover off, just so i can take a look inside and make sure there are no bad signs like metal shavings or gouges. as for the modifier i'm not sure, i've just put it in both. but i would like to find out.
      As the front is open and the rear is limited slip in a Rubicon when the lockers are not engaged, I have concluded that the additive is necessary only for the rear axle of a Rubicon. The front just gets gear oil w/no additive.

Comment

I believe you are wrong. On a Rubicon you have ARB lockers front and rear. Not a limited slip in the rear.

Comment

The '03-'06 Rubicons do in fact have a limitted slip rear locker. It does not need any additive since it is a torson type, and not a clutch pack. The lockers are not ARB's...

Comment

Originally posted by LumberJack
            I believe you are wrong. On a Rubicon you have ARB lockers front and rear. Not a limited slip in the rear.
            Lumberjack, I specifically put: when the lockers are NOT engaged, Rubicons are limited rear/open front. This is not assumption, it is fact. Also, to second the other post, Rubes do not come w/ARB's from the factory. They are air-actuated lockers, but are made by a Japanese company (Tochigi Fuji Industries? not sure of the exact name, but they are not ARB).

Comment

Originally posted by ken white
              The '03-'06 Rubicons do in fact have a limitted slip rear locker. It does not need any additive since it is a torson type, and not a clutch pack. The lockers are not ARB's...

Are you sure about not needing additive? I thought limited slip was limited slip. I've bought the bottle of additive anyway, so I'm putting it in this weekend, but I am curious. If you are correct, that is another avenue of saving money on maintenance...

Can you verify that the rear does not need additive? Where did you get the info? I am very interested, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ken white

are you basing this off the fact that they are gear drivin lsd's only? or do you have some inside information we dont know about.. my FSM tells me to add the friction modifier. untill i hear a decent reason not too. i'm going with that

Comment

just use synthetic oil and you are covered either way...who the heck wants to worry about putting an additive in??

Comment

Originally posted by Mozman68
                    just use synthetic oil and you are covered either way...who the heck wants to worry about putting an additive in??
                    even with synthetic the fsm still tells me to use the additive. why would you not need it for synthetic?

Comment

are you basing this off the fact that they are gear drivin lsd's only? or do you have some inside information we dont know about.. my FSM tells me to add the friction modifier. untill i hear a decent reason not too. i'm going with that
                      An additive is not needed. The additive is used for clutch pack differentials to stop chatter - the Rubicon uses a torsen differential gear set in the rear. The additive won't hurt, but it won't help either.

I have not used any modifier in mine, which I have had since late '02, and I run 85/140W synthetic oil F/R.

Ken
                      Last edited by ken white; 12-12-2006, 03:27 PM.

Comment

even with synthetic the fsm still tells me to use the additive. why would you not need it for synthetic?
                        The synthetic I bought at AutoZone says right on the bottle that it includes the limited slip additive and there is no need to add any....it's at home. Will post again tonight with details...if I remember...

Comment

That's it! I'm buying an SE with open diffs front and back! Just kidding... I also have read on bottle labels where the additive is already added. I feel about that the same way I feel about synthetic blends... I know that it's got some good stuff in there, but I feel better getting ripped off at the stealership and buying the additive there for $8 and seeing it go in myself.

I'll stick to 85w-140 mineral gear oil front and back in my Rube, with the additive added to the rear axle only until somebody or something tells me otherwise. Hopefully it's not a burned up pinion bearing or something telling me I made the wrong choice.

Comment

The additive is for clutch packs, it makes no difference in a Rubi since as said above, it does not use clutch packs.

Comment

Okay, I'm convinced that Rubicons don't need the additive. Stealerships and their scare tactics really do a great job of convincing us consumers otherwise. Thanks Blu, from now on, it's 85w-140 fill for front/back axles for me! I may go to Disneyland with all this money I'm saving!

Comment

Working...
                              X