X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 CJ-7 Levis Renegade

I recently purchased a 76 CJ-7 that appears to have been stored for most of it's life. Aside from some very minor modifications it appears to be very stock. I would like le learn more about the options found on my jeep and their prodiction numbers.
    I know 21,016 CJ-7s produced in 76, I would like to investigate further as to Renegade model, Levis option, 304, automatic, etc.
    It would be good to know as people will ask about it.
    Any information would be appreciated
    Thanks,

Hi here is a thread in another forum that might help
    http://www.muddybuddys.net/Mud_Hole/viewtopic.php?t=106
    From all i can tell dealers did alot to the jeeps after getting them from the factory to get the prices up. So its hard to tell factory vs dealer options.

Comment

cosmetics...

Welcome to the board, JPthew. Myrtle is/was a Levis Edition, but all that is left of the pretty things that came with that moniker are the little Levi stickers over the Jeep emblem in front of the door openings. Or, are they below the Jeep emblem... can't remember. Anyway, I believe all the Levi Edition amounted to was cosmetic stuff. I seem to remember the seats had some sort of stitched look or something like that. Maybe the interiors were that brown color, too. Some of the other guys will probably pipe in on these little details. Sounds like you've stumbled on a pretty nice machine, though. Would you post some pics?

Comment

We have 2 - '76 CJ-7 Renegades in our family. Mine is definitely not stock, but my parent's Jeep has 25,000 miles, is rust-free and is equiped with the 304/T-18 combo. It even still has the factory Levi's blue soft top in perfect condition. I have done some research on these vehicles and found some interesting info. First, the Levi's option was standard when someone ordered the Renegade option (or the Golden Eagle). However, the Levi's option could be ordered on a plain-jane CJ also. Since the automatic tranny was first offered on a CJ in 1976, tons of CJ-7's were ordered with them, both 6 cylinder and V-8 versions. The T-150 3-speed was also very common with both the I-6 and the 304 V-8. The T-18 was a much rarer tranny and only available in the CJ-5 with the I-6. In the CJ-7, it was available with either the I-6 or the 304. I have seen quite a few '76 CJ-7's with the I-6 and the T-18, but I have only seen one with the 304 and the T-18, and that's my parents Jeep. I think it was a very rare driveline combo that year. Anybody else out there have a factory '76 CJ-7 with the T-18 and the 304? I'm curious.

Comment

My first...both my CJs have been Levi's. My first was a Renegade and the one I have now is a Golden Eagle. The only difference with the Levi package was the interior I think. It can with the blue or tan denim (Levi) seats, door panels and padded dash...and the matching carpet I think. The seats came in the 3/4 or the full, I believe, but I don't recall ever seeing Levi stitched anywhere. The Levi package is worth more if your Jeep remains stock and you show it as original. The Golden Eagle came with all sorts of different options depending on the year. Tilt wheel, A/C, a cool clock etc.

I think you have a great find. I would like to see pictures as well and I have a burning curiosity where you found it and how much you paid. I'm just a curious sort who likes to know how badly he got screwed on his!

Comment

Facts:
            Original paint
            Original Levis seats front and rear
            304 V-8
            Automatic
            52,000 miles
            Original dealer sticker found in glovebox from local dealer

This has been a really lucky find for me, the Jeep was set up nearly exactly to the way I would have ordered it from the factory. The few things that I know are not stock are the CB, wheels, a few extra gauges, nerf bars, and hood ornament. I feel that although the Jeep appears to have set most of it's life, a garaged Jeep is a sad Jeep so I will be puting more miles on it. However, I will try to keep it within the original intent of the design, with very little changes. Possibly a hard top for the winter months.
            A great buy for $2,600 I will take pictures as soon as I get some sunlight, and learn how that is done. Is there a section of this site with members Jeeps?

Comment

Looking at a 78 CJ-7 with Levi's package. Does this mean it is a Renegade too? If I buy it and restore it is it worthwhile to redo the Levi's interior (seats are trashed), or should I just go stock and do the Renegade decals instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Northstar
                Looking at a 78 CJ-7 with Levi's package. Does this mean it is a Renegade too? If I buy it and restore it is it worthwhile to redo the Levi's interior (seats are trashed), or should I just go stock and do the Renegade decals instead?
                wonder if anybody makes denim seatcovers...

Comment

oh, the seats

i have a 78 renegade cj7 levi's edition. my wife wants it back to original as possible (looks anyway)since we bought it from the original owner and have all the original paperwork including the window sticker. my seats are shot too. I am going to take mine in and have them redone with the closest material possible and using all the buttons, since i still have all of them.

Comment

sounds like a good idea. I'm surprised I couldn't find more aftermarket seat covers available. I didn't have any trouble finding new upholstery for my 60s Chevys...somebody must make them, because people restore Jeeps to original, right?

Comment

I think Collins Brothers in Texas has the material. You could ask them.

Comment

When you ordered a Renegade or Golden Eagle from 1975-1979, you automatically got the "Levi's" interior. However, you could ordere the "Levi's" interior on a plane-jain CJ for a little extra $. So, if you have the Levi's interior on a CJ, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a Renegade or Golden Eagle. The material is getting very hard to find, especially the Blue Denim stuff. My upolstery guy was able to find enough to do my door panels, but he had a heck of a time finding it. I was able to find a pair of reproduction denim blue high back buckets for my CJ, but they were old stock and nobody reporoduces them as far as I know. Incidentally, the denim material from 1975-1976 is different than the 1977-1979 CJ's and the 1980-1986 is a unique style too. Just to confuse the issue. Hopwefully, someone will start to reproduce the denim material, tops, seats, etc. These are great CJ's to restore. Also, anybody know where to find the little orange "Levi's" decals that were applied to the body just above the JEEP letters? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X