X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport, I have put a tough country 3 inch lift on it,(it may have only raised it 1 1/2") I have BFG Allterain 31 10.5 15 on it, and if I have not changed the wheels, with a differant offset, they would fit perfectly. but with the new offset, they only rub on very tight turns, and mostly only when backing out. I am planing to put a Daystar 1 3/4 lift on top of the one I haveI feel this should correct the rubbing, but as novice, to this sort of hobby (LOL), should I get longer sway bar links, and a drop pitman arm?

You didn't say where you were rubbing. At the back of the fender or on the control arms?

At this point, longer sway bars are iffy especially if your 3" lift really didn't give you 3". Don't mess with the pitman arm.

Comment

it is only rubbing on the outside of the wheel well in the back, on what is a factory hump, I took a heat gun and warmed it up and flatened the hump some and the rubbing was reduced qutie a bit, as it is the last year that they were made, I dont want to change the apperance of it by changing, or cutting the mudgurads, or fender flares.
      I say it hasn't raised it the 3 inches, because I park next to my bosses cherokee, which I believe is a 96, 2 door, four wheel drive, with regular strret tires on it, and mine doesn't sit very much higher, I would say at the most it would be just about an inch and a half

Comment

If you are only rubbing the factory splash shield, heat it up some more and don't worry about it. Don't worry about any of the other stuff unless you are having drive-ability issues.

Comment

ok, thank you,I know going up another inch and three quarter, will stop the rubbing, I just wasn't shure about all the linkage , if it would need to be changed or not, but since it should be only about a 3 inch lift total, I don't think it will, if i notice bigger dips in turns, then I will know I need longer swaybar links, for the pitman arm, I am not sure what to look for, not sure if it will shorten the turning radius or what, but I will keep you adviced

Comment

Unless you are going over 3", you don't even need to worry about the pitman. What you will need to concern yourself with is the track bar as it will need to relocate the axle back toward the passenger side.

Skyjacker makes a track bar relocation bracket that you should be able to get from our hosts.
            http://www.jeep4x4center.com/media/c...acket_7124.jpg

Comment

to make sure I need the relocation bracket, what sumptoms should I look for?

Comment

Your tire will be sticking outside the drivers side wheel well more than the passenger side. As the vehicle is lifted, the track bar pulls the axle more to the drivers side.

Comment

I am going to need the trackbar relocater bracket, I serched in the 4WD site and they did not have the bracket listed on a search, do you by chance knoe the part, or item number? I have also read a comment that one guy says this one breaks real easy, he has gone thu two in one year, of course that could be to what he is doing with his Jeep, where he is driving. How hard is this to put on?,as I am doing all this in my driveway, with limted tools, how is the easiest way too get the axle shifted back over to align the new bracket. My thought was to replace the bracket, and after having it mounted , have 4 guys try and push the body to the side it needs to go, just kidding, I do belive it will be a little more complicated than that.
                  thank you for all your help

Comment

Here you go http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...3&t_pn=SKYJTBF

Like anything in this world, anything can be abused or over worked. From what you have indicated for your use, you won't have any problems.

If I remember right, all you'll really need is some drill bits and a drill motor.

Comment

I have the drill and bits, but how hard is it to get the axle shifted back to the right? if I disconnect the track bar, with it sitting on the ground, then jack up the body, will this cause the end of the track bar to move into the correct position, to reconnect, and then will that automaticly shift the axle when I let it down?

Comment

Just have someone gently, very gently turn the wheel and the body will move where ever you want it to go. That's the idea of a track bar, keep the axle and body in alignment.

Anyway, I want to back peddle on the relocation bracket. As I understand it, the reason so many of the relocation brackets don't hold up is that they are made from thinner steel than they used to. The one I had was rather substantial and held up well. When I had to move my trackbar over the axle, I passed my old bracket on to a club member that had a ZJ and it worked well for him.

Buying an adjustable track bar is a bit of an over kill just for 3/4" of movement. So, let's just use what you got.

Right now, this is what you have.
                        http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ep/jeep004.jpg

You'll note the tab sticking out the bottom. That is welded to the nut to make removing and installing the nut easier.

Start by soaking the bolt and nut well with PB blaster, then remove the bolt. Pull the track bar out of the way. Now mark a spot 3/4" to the right and up a bit from the center of the old hole. Drill a new hole through the front and back of the plate. It should look like this.
                        http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ep/jeep006.jpg

Once done, push the track bar into the new location, have someone turn the wheel a bit, and insert bolt and nut. Tighten securely.

Comment

I have the drill and bits, but how will I get the axle to shift back to the right to realign the track bar with the new bracket?. If I replace the bracket with it sitting on the ground, then if I just jack up the body, will it cause the track bar to move toward the new location to bolt up?

Comment

in the pictures you show , is it just to drill a new hole in the exsisting bracket,or is that for the new bracket to bolt up to?

Comment

Originally posted by shifty10 View Post
                              I have the drill and bits, but how will I get the axle to shift back to the right to realign the track bar with the new bracket?. If I replace the bracket with it sitting on the ground, then if I just jack up the body, will it cause the track bar to move toward the new location to bolt up?
                              Originally posted by rstarch345 View Post
                              Just have someone gently, very gently turn the wheel and the body will move where ever you want it to go. That's the idea of a track bar, keep the axle and body in alignment.
                              xxxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X