Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beech Mountain or Crackers Neck Sept. 10th.

Both are closing in the near future and a few of us were thinking about making a run up to one or the other on Saturday Sept. 10th. Beech Mountain is located in northwestern NC and Crackers Neck is in northeast TN. I will update this post with some more info when I figure out who is going, where to meet and which place to go to.

Damn, I'll be in PA that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by willness33
      Damn, I'll be in PA that weekend.
      That sucks man. If you really wanted to ride up there before it closes the Carolina Jeepsters have their 2nd Annual High Country Run next weekend. Costs nothing to register and $10 a night to camp. Last year's event was a blast. This year's happened to fall on my 10th wedding anniversary so it is a no go for me.

Comment

The concensus is we will be wheeling Crackers Neck. We plan on being in Mountain City, TN at 10am to pick up our trail passes and will head over to Crackers Neck from the Callalantee office. For those coming from the east or south I can meet folks at the Shell station off of Exit 264 (Asbury Church Rd) on Hwy 421. This exit is a 1/4 mile south of the I77/421 interchange for the Charlotte area folks who may be interested.

So far we are looking at 2 TJ's, 1 CJ, 1 Ford Exploder on 35's and possibly a ZJ on 33's and a Rubi.

Comment

Originally posted by battallion14
          That sucks man. If you really wanted to ride up there before it closes the Carolina Jeepsters have their 2nd Annual High Country Run next weekend. Costs nothing to register and $10 a night to camp. Last year's event was a blast. This year's happened to fall on my 10th wedding anniversary so it is a no go for me.
          It's actually next weekend that we are leaving. We won't be back til the 13th.

Comment

I had my father in law with me who is not in the greatest of health so my goal for the day was to make things as easy as possible on him which meant we were there to trail ride and not really try any of the obstacles.

We started out by running Big Wheel at Crackers Neck. Greg ran the rock garden and made it look easy. Although about midway up he blew a bead on the passenger side front. He hit with his CO2 and he was back on his way. Mike also ran some of the rock garden but exited early onto the trail. Jesse and I took the path of least resistance and bypassed it.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/c...7463.sized.jpg

We then proceeded up to the cell tower on top of the mountain and had lunch. It was a rather hazy day up in the Blue Ridge so we didn't get to see very far but it was still a good view (minus the cell tower of course). We then hopped back on the trail and continued on the Big Wheel loop. We stopped at the 2nd rock garden so Greg could give it a try but some guys in tube buggys were struggling to get up and seemed to be too proud to pull cable so we continued on after waiting a half hour. We looped around to trail 3 and went up that.

Greg ran the 1st rock garden and was about 3/4 of the way up before he started to struggle with a big rock near the off camber turn around point. After a few valiant efforts he finally made it past that rock and started to turn around. It didn't look particularly safe so we put a tow strap around his rollbar and Mike, Jesse and myself pulled on it on the uphill side of the turn to try and keep him on all fours. After that we headed a little farther up the trail and Greg ran the 2nd rock garden. (Do you get the feeling that this was the Greg Horton show? It was ) Greg made that one look easy too. We then turned around and headed back down the trail to go over to Callalantee.

Once we got over to Callalantee we ran Welder. Once again Greg was the only one to run the waterfall. He felt around for the line for a few minutes and then was up and over. I actually got some good pics that gives a decent enough perspective of the steepness of the waterfall.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/c...7505.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/c...7507.sized.jpg

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/c...7508.sized.jpg

We then went a little more up welder and turned around so Greg could run the waterfall again. When we got back down there he blew the passenger side front bead again turning around. Once again his CO2 came to the rescue. I hadn't even gotten my Hi Lift bolted back in and he was already over the waterfall and on his way back down the trail. We then headed for Little Tellico. After checking with Dave (my father in law) I decided we could handle doing this one. So up we went until I lost a bead on my passenger front. Once again, Greg's CO2 to the rescue. After getting that fixed Mike discovered my driver side rear was leaking as well. We gave that a shot of CO2 and kept on going. Greg and Mike also ran Little Tellico and Jesse stayed behind due to fears his carb. wouldn't handle the incline.

We then called it a day and headed to Mountain City to air up. I had a really good time and enjoyed meeting Jesse and his wife Sharon. I always enjoy getting a chance to wheel with Greg and Mike. Carnage was light, I broke a bead and had a leaky rear, Greg broke a bead twice and snapped one end of his rear swaybar and Mike and Jesse had no damage or problems. We did have to stop once on the way home to refill my leaking rear tire but Dave and I made it home safely.

Some good news to report. Crackers Neck is not closing! It is for sale still but apparently the deal to purchase it fell through so for now there is plenty of opportunity to wheel there.

Comment

Nice write-up, looked like fun.

Comment

Photojournalism...

Dang, Battallion... that was a heck of a nice write up and great pics, too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                  Dang, Battallion... that was a heck of a nice write up and great pics, too.
                  Thanks blackwater. It's a lot of fun up there and if you get a chance you should come up and wheel it. I am not sure where you are located but I have led the Low Country Jeeps (from down your way) club up there and I know they plan on coming back soon. Maybe you could head up with them some day and wheel up there with us.

Comment

Working...
                  X