X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dirty Method

Alright, for those of you with cut-up fenders (who knows, I may be there one day, once my XJ becomes a trail rig), here is measuring your ride height the "dirty method":

Checking Front Ride Height

Measure front ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the veryical distance between the top of the axle tube (A) and the underside of the frame sill (B). Refer to Figure 1 for driver's side measurement and Figure 2 for passenger side measurement. Be sure each measurement is taken from the top of the tube and not from the axle or shift motor housings.

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 17 cm (6-3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 20 cm (7-3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

Checking Rear Ride Height

Measure rear ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube (C) and the underside of the frame sill (D) inboard of the jounce bumper (E).

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 15 cm (6 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 18 cm (7 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/t...front_pass.jpg http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/t...eight/rear.jpg
    *Note: Fig. 3 refers to MJ suspension, but is very similar to XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ
      I have NEVER needed to know my lift height at any point in my build, or anyone else’s builds that I've helped with!
      Duh Aaron....everyone knows their lift height. I am exactly 14.52536 inches higher than stock on a 90degree day out, partly cloudy, 55% humidity, and 26.529 PSI in the boggers with hubs unlocked with a full load of mexicans in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadFoot
        Duh Aaron....everyone knows their lift height. I am exactly 14.52536 inches higher than stock on a 90degree day out, partly cloudy, 55% humidity, and 26.529 PSI in the boggers with hubs unlocked with a full load of mexicans in the back.

I get all that, but I'm only 280' above sea-level. So will I get more lift at higher altitudes? Gosh, this is so confusing.

Yeah, I know my junk is posted in my sig, I'm just not hardcore enough to let it go.

Comment

the cherokees had 4 different ft. springs from the factory and had i believe 15 different rear spring set ups. so i believe ride heights are going to be alil diff. for each vehicle !!! call a dealer and he can tell you aprox. how good of a susp. you havefro the fact.

Comment

with a full load of mexicans in the back.
            So that is like 20 Mex-I-cans or 4 landscaping crews. Right??

Comment

I think thats a load of crap, I need the measurement at each corner, there is no way your Jeep sits perfectly level! I'm going to need measurements from each corner, or I wont believe you!!! Plus you have to measure each side at diffrent times, rotating your Jeep between sides so one side doesn't get more sun then that other! Also how much gas is in the tank when you measure? You know 20gal of gas will add 160lbs to your Jeep!!! Also, should I empty my OBA tank? That might affect the height too??

I dont know my lift height cause the sidewalk I park on isn't level!!

Comment

leadfoot measures his lift when it's upside down.

ralphxj needs to learn to get over the fear of the sawzall.

kudzu69 is obviously just a web wheeler.

flatlander has never seen the muck farm workers around here.

what does this have to do with the original post??? not a damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                  leadfoot measures his lift when it's upside down.

ralphxj needs to learn to get over the fear of the sawzall.

kudzu69 is obviously just a web wheeler.

flatlander has never seen the muck farm workers around here.

what does this have to do with the original post??? not a damn thing.

I dont have a fear of the sawzall, I just dont have one!! Angle grinder gets my vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RalphXJ

I dont have a fear of the sawzall, I just dont have one!! Angle grinder gets my vote!!!

picky picky picky....

when do you start the new job? you find a new "pad" yet? let me know if you need any help moving. i've got a pickem up truck and a huge trailer.

Comment

Holy thread hi-jack batman!!

I start on the 5th, so after that I probably have to start being good on here dont I??

I'm going to look at APTs tonight! hoping to move this weekend. Kelly said she might be able to lend her truck, and I'm hoping my parents can come out and help(I'm moved 4 times since HS and they have NEVER helped me, so they are due)! I'll let ya know if I need a hand(I dont have much though)

Comment

Working...
                      X