X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - shift knob removal

how do you get the shift knob off so I can remove my center console! Please respond asap im doing it now!

just turn it off, spray some liquid wrench in there if its that tight

Comment

it should just turn off. if it is tight use a wrench, chanlle locks, or what ever and grab the two flat sides of the plastic part and turn it off the metal part is a nut to keep it from spining

Comment

then when u put it back togther , u look around for some baseballs, drill a hole about half way thru the ball, and screw the balls on,,,,,best shifter knobs ever,,,,, it fits you hand the best

Comment

ah its aite, i figured out how to get it out without removing the knob

p.s. 1 grinder disk later, I know have 4wl! Horray! I need to do a little trimming on the interior though, the shifter is all the way against the plastic, and it poped out once or twice. I already lengthed the adjustable linkage underneath, so far I used a BFH to get it as far in as possible. Oh well, at least 4wl works

Comment

Sorry I couldn't find that shifter bracket BIGTJ99, they had already started cleaning (and chunking stuff) from the garage for a move/yard sale when I got home. Glad to hear it worked out for you though!

While this thread is up, anyone know how to remove the shifter handle for an automatic? I'm going to be removing the center console soon too (for a different reason) and don't know how to get around it. I was hoping there was an alternative to unbolting the entire shifter assembly, as it looked like it would be a pain to reinstall and get the cable and stuff lined up right. Any help?

Comment

Grab automatic shifter with both hands and pull or through yourself back in the seat. It will pop off and just pound it back on with your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepinabox
                Grab automatic shifter with both hands and pull or through yourself back in the seat. It will pop off and just pound it back on with your hand.
                Should I hold down the shift-lock button on the handle while removing/installing, or does it not matter? Is it not attached via cable or something that I need to watch out for? Thanks!

Comment

Either way its just a snap on and the button pushes a plastic rod down

Best if in 1st gear for leverage

Comment

Originally posted by bigtj99
                    how do you get the shift knob off so I can remove my center console! Please respond asap im doing it now!
                    Too late now, but you do realize that the locknut is under the shift pattern button, or so I have read, never had mine off.

Comment

Manual tranny answer: Pry out shift pattern cap. Use socket to remove retaining nut. Unscrew shift knob. Reverse process for re-installation. (Good luck getting the pattern cap back in.)

Comment

ha i couldnt even get it off! Oh well, no need to try breaking something thats already fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepinabox
                          Either way its just a snap on and the button pushes a plastic rod down

Best if in 1st gear for leverage
                          I got it off! Thanks!

Comment

How do i put my manual knob back on without it squeeking constantly, mine was just twisted on, no nut, bolt et etc

Comment

wd-40 to eliminate squeek?

Comment

Working...
                              X