X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 90 Cherokee stalling at low speed

I have a 1990 Cherokee with 4.0 engine , auto trans. My problem is that it stalls at low speed, like when I am in a parking lot and I give it gas to move then stop right away it will stall out on me. It will start back up right away but it happens quite often. It has had a full tune up on it, plugs wires, cap, rotor etc etc. Is there any thing I should look at as the culprit?

Thanks

Mell00

Fuel Filter...

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Also, try adding some dry gas, you may have gotten some H2O in the tank.

Comment

o2 sensor? got check engine light on?

Comment

Yep, changed fuel filter, and had several tanks of gas, but I will try the additive.

Check engine light hasn't come on but the only I haven't changed is the o2 sensor (as far as tune up stuff goes). I will try that and see if it works out. Thinking of that I have had irregular gas milage from tank full to tank full.

Thanks
        Mell00

Comment

idle air control valve is gummed up and sticking, id bet on it.

Comment

I agree with Brian, also clean the throttle bore, they will gum up with carbon.

Comment

My 90' would do the same thing. I took off the throttle body and took off the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the IAC (Idle air controler) cleaned the whole thing it was dirty. Then I just cleaned the IAC really well that thing was black. Got a new gasket and put everything back together.

That was 2 years ago and not a problem since. I can let it idle for hours and it will not skip a beat.

Comment

Cherokee Stalling at Low Speed

I just went through this with mine. 1988 XJ. I changed the fuel filter which
                had not been changed for some time 13 months to be exact. It was full of something.I replaced my CPS Crank position sensor. I have learned with mine
                that when my starter doesnt turn properly. Long crank time,starter bangs
                against the flywheel on first crank, its the CPS.On 1987-1990 the engine
                must have at least three turns of the flywheel for the CPS to locate
                number one cylinder. The ignition box under your coil will allow the CPS
                signal to the distributor. And you know the rest. It woukd not hurt to check
                the ignition box under the coil, its a sealed unit but the back side of it has
                gel coat that can crack with age and if the module goes bad it nay burn
                the gel coat. Very possible the CPS,what is happening the CPS low speed
                cant find number one cylinder so it stalls. Lets say 2000 rpms the distributor
                has advanced and the CPS is signaling at micro seconds it just doesnt have
                time to stall.

Comment

My '90 is kind of doing the same thing. Except it won't start at all. It is a toy, and i haven't drove it for a long time. Went to start it, but it won't start. When i start it (after jumping it) it will turn over, but i have to rev it up constantly for it to keep running. The second i let off the throttle, it dies. Whats up with that? Any suggestions? I have been told the fuel pump. Does that make sense?

Comment

Another Idea

If it is getting fuel I would check catalytic converter in the exaust if it carbons up over time it will stall the engine and make it throw every code in the computer. I had the same problem in my work car and it took 2 weeks to figure out and about $300 in part that were not needed. If you live in a state that don't e-check just run a bar thru it and hallow it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian78z28
                      idle air control valve is gummed up and sticking, id bet on it.

mine was doing the same and i took the idle air control out was crusty VERY crusty cleaned it up real good now it holds a perfect idle and doesnt stall out

would check that out and also check out the cps like Mikes21 said

Comment

Im no expert but my 88 did the same thing when I got. The person I bought it from told me to replace the idle air controller and so I did witch did not help matters. I put it in the shop and it was a vacume problem. So you might give that a try.

Comment

Stalling

My '90 is kind of doing the same thing. Except it won't start at all. It is a toy, and i haven't drove it for a long time. Went to start it, but it won't start. When i start it (after jumping it) it will turn over, but i have to rev it up constantly for it to keep running. The second i let off the throttle, it dies. Whats up with that? Any suggestions? I have been told the fuel pump. Does that make sense?
                          Try this, get some carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner and with the help
                          of a friend remove the throttle body air hose from the air cleaner,
                          have someone crank the engine while you spray carb cleaner in the throttle body. Do not accelerate the engine let it idle while cranking, if the engine
                          stays runing while spraying, the fuel pump is your problem.
                          Gas engine only needs three things to run , air,fuel,and spark.
                          Air you have and spark and fuel are questionable.

Comment

Good info! I will try that ASAP. I thought that you could bang on the gas tank to get it to start (worked with my wrangler for about 2 weeks) then it was the fuel pump. but that is not working. I will give you suggestions a try. I really don't want to just go and replace the fuel pump and that not be the problem. It looks like a pain in the a$$. Thanks. I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                            X