X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threadlock on shackles?

Anyone use threadlock on their shackles to prevent theft? Is there a recovery situation where you would need to remove them?

If anyone needs some, these are less than $10 at a local store

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...578_7_full.jpg

EMAXXX-

drill and trap the underside of the threaded end for a small, allen head, set screw that way you can still remove them as needed with the right tools. Make sure to use the smallest screw you can find to not compromise the strength of the shackle. Also make sure it is sub flush with the surface.

D

Comment

I've seen people keep a prybar or length of rebar in the back. stick that through the hole in the bolt and crank that SOB down. The leverage you can create with a bar or screw driver will deminish the chance that someone will come along and unscrew them.

That way you can just use the bar to unscrew the bolts when you need to remove the shackle.

If you use locktite you would have to reapply each time you removed the shackle

my 2 cents

Comment

or don't be lazy and just take them off when you're not going to use them!

Comment

Well duuuhhhh Fubar , but they look so much cooler when they are hanging there while driving down the street. Everyone knows that.

Comment

i guess is you want d-rings for bling then just weld them on. if you use them on the trail, it's a royal pain in the a$$ as it is to remove them for strapping, let alone having to put one more freakin tool in the bag to get them off. drilling them and tapping them, while it would work, is a heck of a lot more trouble than just taking the things off. most people have a tool bag of some sort for when they're off roading. just throw them in there.

i'm deaf and the rattle still drives me nuts.

Comment

I agree with FUBAR. Weld em on and if a larger D is needed for strapping, well, just put a third point in the center of the two smaller Ds for one that will accomodate the strap. That one I would leave off until needed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom74'CJ-5
                Well duuuhhhh Fubar , but they look so much cooler when they are hanging there while driving down the street. Everyone knows that.
                Yep, I think I'll crank on them with a screwdriver and throw another set in the toolbag as their cheap enough. Thanks!

TexasCJ, I just had chance to visit BIAP, mud everywhere, I wish I had my CJ. Did you get to visit the Palaces?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...578_8_full.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X