X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Problem ?

I have a 84 CJ7 with a 258 T5 D300. it has a 2 inch shackle lift on it now. I would like to take that off and put on the rustys 4 inch lift kit. What kind of driveshaft problems would I have. Would I need a Tcase drop, longer shafts, etc? Im more accustomed to MJ's so sorry if my question sounds dumb.

Im not familiar with the Rusty kit
    But when it comes to lifting your jeep especialy if you going to drive it on the road, id say go with either RE, BDS, 4wd.com or OME.
    Lifting it 4 inches or more you should do a rear CV driveshaft and by doing the CV you should be able to get away without droping the transfer case.
    If you want more details id be happy to try to help

Comment

I put the RE 4.5" lift on my jeep and didn't put in axle shims or do the transfer case drop. That turned out to be a bit of mistake. Had to replace my u-joints in less than 1000 miles. After replacing my u-joints I put in the shims and did the transfer drop and have not had any problems since. So I would suggest you either go with a CV style driveshaft or do the shims and the drop. (The RE kit comes with shims and drop kit... so there was no extra cost to install it for me... I didn't orginally install them b/c I had read where some people claimed to not need them... it didn't quite work out for me that way.)

Comment

With a 4" lift you will need the degree shims (only on the rear!). I didn't have to lower the t/c on my CJ-7....but I did on my old CJ-5.

Comment

I have a 4" lift, stock drive shafts. When putting on the rear springs, point the rear axle at the t case, also i had the one inch t case drop, you dont need to buy this its just 4 one inch spacers the go inbetween the frame and the cross plate.

Comment

alright thanks. That was exactly what i needed to know. does anybody have experience with the rustys kit. it seems like a good deal. its 4" military wrapped springs4 shocks etc. its only $420

Comment

4wd's 4 inch kit is wrapped and comes with all hardware. I have seen them heavily abused with no problems. Will be stiff at first will almost jar your teeth out. But give it a couple hundred miles and it starts breaking in and rides alot better. Price is good too!

Comment

Working...
              X