X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three different 258 flywheels?

I noticed 4wd Hardware's catalog has three different flywheels listed for the AMC 258, and are all different part numbers.

One says for a '72-'79, 232-258 6cyc

Another one says '82-89 for 258 6 cyc

Last one is for 88-90 258 cyc

Does anyone know the differences of them off hand, and/or why they would be different? Thanks!!

If you go here, http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.p...ory/AMC_258_I6
    you'll see there's a few differences in the 258's through the years.

Noticably, the engine ratings (hp and torque) and the compression.

The flywheels might be different weights.

If I wanted to keep a 258 in mine, I'd sure like to replace it with that old wagoneer version rated at 150hp and 240 ft lbs.

Comment

The early flywheel is prolly a 9 in clutch. I have a 90 YJ flywheel in my 85 CJ with a 78 engine and T4 trany. I also used the 90 YJ starter, kinda nice with the gear reduction unit on there. I was going to use an early flywheel that I had lying around when I pput in the 258, but it was a lot smaller (even though it bolted to the engine)

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
        The early flywheel is prolly a 9 in clutch. I have a 90 YJ flywheel in my 85 CJ with a 78 engine and T4 trany. I also used the 90 YJ starter, kinda nice with the gear reduction unit on there. I was going to use an early flywheel that I had lying around when I pput in the 258, but it was a lot smaller (even though it bolted to the engine)
        What was smaller? The starter or the flywheel? Thanks!!

Comment

The flywheel was noticeable smaller, couldn't even see the ring gear through the hole for the starter. The flywheel was drilled for both the 9 inch and the 10.4 in clutch. I looked back at my notes and it looks like the flywheel I was uning was from a 65 Rambler with the 232. They used a smaller bellhousing bolt patter (narrower by one inch) untill about 71 or 72 I think.

The YJ starter bolted right up to the CJ bellhousing and works fine, just some electrical mods because of the integrated solenoid.

Comment

Working...
          X