X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Cylinder?

How do you get a master cylinder to stop leaking around the lid?

-----------
    -83 Cj-8,360 bored 30 over,t-176,dana300,stock axles,33s,finally starting to look like a jeep

Leaking master cylider

If you haven't already tried it, you might want to get a new rubber piece that fits between the top and the cylinder. Also check to see if the top is bent and the top "hold down" is in good condition.

Comment

I never could. I "flattened" it, I replaced the seal, I "rebent" the holder on top until I could barely get it off, I emery papered the master for a good seal. I could never figure why it EVER did it to begin with, seems like the lid is there for the corners anyway. You can bleed without....etc. Do your brakes work well? The only thing I could figure was I had air in the lines. Maybe a hot and cold thing? Pressure from the inside being greater than the outside causes the fluid to "creep" up the sides? I don't know, I'd love to hear a good answer on this one.

Comment

Oh yea, my non-stock one doesn't do it. The only difference to note is it is bowl shaped, maybe allowing the fluid to drip back in the master as opposed to up the side to the seals edge?

Comment

Yea, my brakes work well,i did the same thing like yousaid, bending the crap out of the clamp so you can hardly get it off. It still does it and it makes me think thats why almost all cjs I have had experience with have their driver side floor pan rot out.

Comment

I replaced the gasket between the lid and bowl, and it stopped the leak entirely. It was one of those cheapie generic ones you find in the "help" section at vato zone

Comment

Working...
            X