X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark-Tried Everything

I just pulled a running 6 out of my 79 CJ, installed my rebuilt 360 in to the hole and I have no spark.
    I replaced the coil, module (no points and condenser) the distributor and pickup.
    Have power to the module, and coil.
    Grounded the battery to the motor, body and frame even grounded the module.
    Still no spark.

Where should I look next?

Thanks in advance!

Definately not a electrical guy but do yo have power to the Distributer? What kind of ignition are you running?

Comment

This probly wont be much help at this point But
      if you have a timing light you can use it on any sparkplug wire or even the
      coil wire going to the distributor. It will blink if its getting spark.

Once i had a bad New coil and the way i found it was i hooked the timing light up to the ciol wire and strap tied the trigger down so the light would blink
      constantly and i ran the wire to the pass. seat and watched it blink till the jeep died. Then when i cranked it over no blinking IE bad coil then it cooled down and i cranked it the light blinked. Bad New AC HO coil
      Good luck let us know how it turns out

Comment

hmmmmm...

Originally posted by hozercj7
        ...Bad New AC HO coil...
        It wouldn't be the first time this has happened, ToolGuy. You said you 'replaced' the coil. Did you save the old one? Might try stickin' that back in to see what happens. Are you sure you have 12 volts to 'all' the right places? Recheck your grounds, too. 12 volts won't getcha anything if it can't find it's way to ground.

Comment

I have had enough power to light up a test light at the + side of the coil but with volt meter only had 3 to 4 volts. Wired direct from + of battery and away she went. Still need to find out WHY.

Comment

neophyte ,
            One thing it could be is that some jeeps use a resitor wire as a ballast resistor running from the firewall to the (+) on the ignition coil. If the 360 had it's own ballast resistor or an external ballast resistor then you have twice as mich resistance then you shouls have.

Another thing to check is the resistance of the coil. Some coils are desighned not to use a ballast resistor and have a lower primary winding resistance. Combined with your Original resistance wire, it will drop the voltage to low.

The original coil/resistance wire will normally drop the voltage to around 9 volts on the (+) side of the coil.

THe ballast reisitor is used to limit the current thru the DuraSpark ignition control module as some of the cheaper replacement types will burn out quickly without the resistance wire. In this setup, there is a wire running to the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid to supply 12 volts directly to the coil when your starting the engine as the voltage to the coil may drop to low when your trying to start the engine.

Why does yout test light light up? well the test light needs less current than the coil does so it will light test lamp easily.

So, does the 360 have a Duraspark ignition or points?

Tool Guy,
            IS your distributor grounded properly? Sometimes a new engine with a nice thick layer of paint wont make a good ground. Check to make sure the distributor is turning.

Check for voltage on the (+) side of the coil. Check to see if the distributor is turning. Also check the (-) side and see if the voltacge changes during cranking. If it always the same then you have a problem with triggering or the ICM.

Do you have the right distributor? A prestolight distributor wont work with a DuraSpark ignition module. Different pickup technologies.
            Last edited by John Strenk; 03-12-2006, 06:45 AM.

Comment

My engine is a 258. No points. I think my problem is the mess of melted wires and rat poop under the dash. had trouble tracing the coil wire in that mess. Gave up cause it now runs. Ran a wire from + battery into cab and a little switch and back to coil. Works and pretty good antitheft as well. This won't damage anything in the long run will it? (Not sure but I think this is what is called jacking one's post. Sorry toolguy. But John started it. )

Comment

if you have power to the coil, do you have power coming out of the coil? if you do, does the power continue to the distributor? just keep tracing it until you find the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                  if you have power to the coil, do you have power coming out of the coil? if you do, does the power continue to the distributor? just keep tracing it until you find the culprit.
                  If you have power to the coil you could reove the wire from the center of the distributor cap and hold the end close to the block. Remove any wire on the (-) post of the coil because it could be grounded. THen attach another wire to the (-) post and drag the other end of the wire across some bare section of the block or (-) on the battery. You should see a spark jump out of the coil HV lead if the coil is good. Carful you don't zap yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                    Carful you don't zap yourself.
                    Umm, yeah watch that! I did that two weeks ago and god zapped!

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                      If you have power to the coil you could reove the wire from the center of the distributor cap and hold the end close to the block. Remove any wire on the (-) post of the coil because it could be grounded. THen attach another wire to the (-) post and drag the other end of the wire across some bare section of the block or (-) on the battery. You should see a spark jump out of the coil HV lead if the coil is good. Carful you don't zap yourself.

or just use a circut tester and save a half hour of re-reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X