X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make my front diff. lock

I have a 1976 cj7 with a 304 auto. and a quadratrac transfer case. I really want to make my open front end capable of locking in when i want it to. I am welding the rear end but dont want to weld the front end. I also don't have a lot of money to put into this jeep. What is the best/cheapest way i can do this? I know doing things the cheap way is not usually good but thats all i can do right now i'm kinda on a tight budget. Thanks

If you want a "selectable" locker (one you can lock and unlock), you have two options with your dana 30 axle...most popular would be a ARB air locker, next would be a Ox locker (cable actuated). Neither are cheap (around $700 not including installation) but are very strong and dependable.

You could put in a limited slip diff like the detroit tru-trac for alot less and still have "good" driving characteristics.

Comment

Is it possible that i could just put in a spool or a detroit locker? Or is that a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by 74renegade
        Is it possible that i could just put in a spool or a detroit locker? Or is that a bad idea?
        The spool is the same as your welding the rear. You'd have one nightmare driving it on the road. If you're going to trailer it to the trailhead, then it won't matter.

The Detroit is the same as the tru-track mentioned above.

Comment

A spool is a FULL TIME LOCKER, and a detroit is big $$...Go with a lock-right for an automatic locker

Comment

As a fellow Quadra Trac owner if you drive it on the road much at all, you DO NOT want an automatic locker.

Sense you can't unlock your front hubs, you have a full time 4 wheel drive vehicle and the front axle does pull on the road even when you are not in "Emergency Drive"

If it's not a daily driver, the go for the auto locker.

I have them front and rear, but I do not drive on the road except a short drive to the store or church 2 miles tops and that front locker let's me know it's there.

Comment

or you could get a part time conv kit and lockout hubs. then you could go with a detroit. then you could take away all power to the front when on road. just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach
                or you could get a part time conv kit and lockout hubs. then you could go with a detroit. then you could take away all power to the front when on road. just something to think about.
                Agree. I didn't get the conversion kit because I was going to off road only.

He did mention tight budget so it would be a bit cheaper to get the selectable locker for the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkplug
                  He did mention tight budget so it would be a bit cheaper to get the selectable locker for the front.
                  my bad...

Comment

Working...
                  X