Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Question

Hey all,

Anyone tell me if a 76 CJ-5 came stock with the converter, mufler, etc? Just moved to PA and have to get emissions tested.

Thanks

Gas Inlet...

Welcome to the board, Dustoff. Take a look at your gas cap inlet. If it accepts the smaller nozzle then you probably 'had' a converter. If the hole is larger, for the old, leaded nozzle, then your Jeep came without any smog stuff. Also, people would knock the little gate assy out of the inlet in the old days so that they could remove the converter and still burn leaded. '76 is when the 'transition' was still taking place. You could have either from what I've read here before.

Comment

My 76 CJ5 came with the large gas filler opening and a dash plaque staring it is NON-CATALYTIC.

Guess what, Ohio made me put a cat on anyway to pass smog.

Make sure you don't have any holes in the body and all the lights work even the horn. PA is pretty tough on inspections. It's not just for emmisions.

Comment

Thanks guys. The inspection guys told me if I could prove it didn't ahve one originally, then I wouldn't need the inspection.

It's getting to be where you can't drive an unsafe vehicle anymore!!!

Comment

Question, does it say "unleaded fuel only" on the speedometer face? If it does, it originally had a converter.

Comment

I had to put cats on my jeep to pass also. I bought the jeep out of state and the PO had no cats on it. Go to http://www.performance-curve.com/ they have cheap high flow converters. I bought 2 of them for around $76 delivered to my house. What part of Pa are you in?

Comment

Ray Van Buren
              "unleaded fuel only" on the speedometer face? If it does, it originally had a converter
              I am in no way an expert and am not trying to say anyone is wrong but on my 76 CJ-5 It says "Unleaded Fuel Only" on the speed-o and has the big inlet hole on the gas filler. No cat. DMV said that in '76 only california Jeeps had cats but since Oregon is so close, they tried to make me put one on. I told them it never had one on before and they had never questioned it before and they finally agreed that i did not need one after talking to the boss/Manager/who ever...

Again this is just what I know, i little extra knowledge never hurts right?

BTW... Collins brothers has the "this vehicle did not come with a cat..." plack/ sticker on their web sight.

HTH

Jeff

Comment

The factory 1974-80 Jeep parts manual shows only Cal. equipped Jeeps had a catalytic convertor in 1976 model year. From what that book says the 49 state CJ's started convertors in 1978 on V8s and sixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustoff114
                  Hey all,

Anyone tell me if a 76 CJ-5 came stock with the converter, mufler, etc? Just moved to PA and have to get emissions tested.

Thanks

You may want to try for Classic plates unless it is a DD. That gets you around the emmissions stuff.

Comment

what are the restrictions on classic vehicle plates? is there a web site?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff88
                      Do a search on PA classic plates and it should give the form and fact sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff88
                        Check your local DMV. Every state is different.

Comment

Emissions

while we are on the subject of emissions, i need to have all the fuel emissions stuff, but i need to get new ones. Where would I be able to get a new Charcoal filter, Rollover check valve, and a liquid check valve. do i need to go to a Jeep dealer to get new ones. I really need them. what did you guys that need the emissions stuff do? I live in Cali by the way.

Comment

Working...
                          X