X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasspack muffler pros and cons??

Ok so now you all know what I plan on doing this spring given this and the previous two posts...
    I would like to put a glasspack muffler on to get a little more noise out of it. 1) is this a good idea from a performance and having enough back pressure perspective? When the rebuild went it appearently it was running rough until the cat and muffler were welded in... 2) Can I cut out the cat while im down there without changing my back pressure much?

Glass pack?

Well first off, does yer state have any emissioms checks...gotta have it ta pasify them state boys....but I've seen guys cut out tha cat an run regular mufflers..but a GLASS PACK?..ya ever heard one of those on a six cylinder? Don't think thats a good sound do ya...ya don't want just LOUD ! Ya want ....mean ....bad..cool...deep throaty roarrrrrrr. don't know if that will come out if ya just ad a glass pack. Maybe jus keep it stock an buy some big off roady lights ta impress tha locals. Nuff Said.

Comment

What year CJ and motor.
      I have an 86CJ7 258 i was at a local shop that works on our club jeeps and
      i had them cut the muffler off and hold up a flowmaster muffler to it .
      It sounded good with the flomaster on it But it also sounded good without a muffler on it.
      Flowmaster $130 no muffler $30. So i went the $30 dollar route and it sounds pretty good.
      PS i still have the CAT
      In OH its not illegal go cut the muffler off But it is illegal to cut the cat. off

Comment

I have a 258, hedman split header, and glasspacks going out the rear. I have had many a mechanic swear it's a V8. When I do it again I will be putting on some sort of turbo muffler, either flowmaster or magnaflow. Have you guys ever heard a 258 with my set up???? You would be surprised by the sound

High5
        Last edited by High5; 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Flowmaster and Magnaflow sound like the old TurboThrush packs IMHO. Great sounds!

I don't care for just plain LOUD. For that noise, go get a knuckle-head Harley! Just dont do the t-o'd farting bumblebee sound these rice-burner kids do!

I have seen cat only pipes sound pretty good too. Dual piping a I6 is an idea I have always liked. It scavages exhaust better than a single-tube and looks/sounds better too. Any engine runs better if it breathes better.

Glass packs are OLD technology. The only thing they really have going for them is they are CHEAP. But even cheaper is a straight pipe...and they sound about the same. Go and spend the extra 30 bucks for a decent muffler and stay legal...besides, the other folks on the trail ride don't want to have their ears blasted out either!

Comment

Honestly,
            It's really not loud unless you get on it. At idle it has a nice deep throaty sound. If I have it running at idle in the driveway, I can barely hear it inside. Even at highway speeds it's not bad. Can't hear much over the tire howl

High5

Comment

less backpressure is good, and anyone that tells you otherwise needs to go back to school, if it was not running well before the muffler and cat then there was something else wrong and that just covered it up. my lil ole 258 with a weber (before my swap) ran open headered for about a month, it was way too loud and was very annoying, but trust me it ran very well, and actually it had better high end power and seemed to have a little more grunt down low. less backpressure equals exaust escaping quicker meaning less build up on exaust valves and less likely to burn a valve if you get a little to deep into the slop. and also dont believe that if your exaust goes underwater you will screw you motor up. it will only do so if you allow the motor to die because of the vacum sucking air, or water in that case, into the motor via the exaust. i have literally had my jeep in water up to the middle of my shins and as long as i used my hand throttle to throttle it high i could just sit there.
              clay
              p.s. my v8 is open headered when i know i will be in deep sloppy stuff, it just sounds better i am fender exited and purple hornied right now.

Comment

I really love the sound of thoe purple hornies. I ran a pair for a year, until my headers failed me. I am back to stock manifold and glasspacks. Sounds okay, but alittle tinny in my taste.

My fenderwell exit headers were not made correctly, the seal on one of my heads exhuast ports would not seal, blowing out the gasket in a month or so everytime. I hope to someday run hornies again! But right now money is tight and upgrades are on hold!

Comment

Anyone have any experience w/ cherry bombs? i was wondering how they would sound. i really wantted Edelbrock SDT's, but they cost way to much for me right now. Theres no grass for me to cut and i have a good job waiting for me when i turn 18 but im currently draing my checking account. i never heard them before on an AMC.Any body have a comparsion as to what they sound like?

Comment

I had the same set up only out the side and it was nice sound but loud. I switch to the turbo muffler and went out the back still sounds great like it has a V*

Comment

Originally posted by High5
                      I have a 258, hedman split header, and glasspacks going out the rear. I have had many a mechanic swear it's a V8. When I do it again I will be putting on some sort of turbo muffler, either flowmaster or magnaflow. Have you guys ever heard a 258 with my set up???? You would be surprised by the sound

High5
                      had the same set up only out the side and it was nice sound but loud. I switch to the turbo muffler and went out the back still sounds great like it has a V*

Comment

Working...
                      X