X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Swap

I have a shot cj7 frame and a good '91 wrangler frame. What interesting things am I going to run into while I make the change?

I considered doing this also. If I remember right the frame needs to be narrowed down, all the body mounts re worked, front shocks were different, engine mounts moved, build a new tranny skid plate, possible steering problemsthe more I looked at it the more it made sense to weld up the new frame. However if you had the yj axles, the cj engine and drivetrain might work without too much modification.

Comment

you'd be better off using the CJ front clip on the YJ frame/tub. the frames are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
        you'd be better off using the CJ front clip on the YJ frame/tub. the frames are not the same.
        Yeah, this is what I would do also. Lots of advantages like wider spacing on the spring mount. No one would know it's not a CJ7 unless they looked underneith.

If all you have is a frame then sell or trade it for a CJ frame.

Comment

I did a frame swap last summer on my 7 with a frame from another 7. My jeep is a 79 and the frame was an 83. I was surprised at the amount of little differences in them. The holes to bolt the xmember up are moved forward about an in, had to 'modify' it. Uh...shock mounts were diff. Also had to modify those. I imaging that yuo would have a lot of probs....or obstacles trying to get your cj mounted up on a yj frame. but you never know unless you try it.....right?

Comment

Swap

Along these same lines I am thinking about putting a pair of scout axles under my jeep. Has anyone ever done this before and what should I look for? Or look out for.

Comment

Working...
            X