Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can the old Cj heater stuff be replaced by new wrangler heater stuff??? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the old Cj heater stuff be replaced by new wrangler heater stuff???

Ya know, one of the only things a guy can't get new for an old CJ (I don't think) is the heater shroud and the plastic venting system. You can get the cables, the heater core, heater motor, etc, but you can't get the big plastic shroud! I DON'T THINK!! CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!! That's not good since the shroud is plasic or polymer or something, and that material doesn't last forever. Eventually the deteriorating shrouds are all going to be taken back by mother earth. Mine's already rigged as it is!

I just got to thinking about it though, and I wonder how different the heater shroud and vent system is in the newer YJ since these jeeps are shaped similar! I mean you can supposedly put a new YJ top on a CJ7, so they must be pretty close to the same shape inside too. Does anyone know the difference between these heater shrouds (if YJ has a shroud - I don't know what system they use)? Anyway you might be able to get those new at a dealer since you can still get YJ tops and stuff, right (but I don't really know) or at least you could find one at a junk yard if you can find a wrecked YJ if you knew if they fit.

To clarify exactly what I'm asking since I overcomplicated everything? Would a heater venting system (shroud) from like a YJ or something fit in an old CJ??? Fabbing would be OK, and could you buy these shrouds (or whatever they have) new at a jeep dealer?

...orrrrrrrr can you buy the old CJ heater shrouds new anywhere??? What other NEW replacements could you possibly use? Thanks man!!

Hmmm....seems to me I have seen them somewhere. I'll have to look.

After suffering a Montana winter, I now reside in Arizona where I like my heater's performance a bit more. It barely made a dent up there.

You can get a Mojave heater really reasonable. I have heard these are really good units. I don't have one, so I can't say for sure tho.

As far as Wrangler parts...Maybe, but I really don't think so. The Chrysler designed system looks a lot different than the AMC parts. I do understand tho, that a Chevy Camaro or S10 blower fan motor fits anda Blazer fan fits with a little trimming, both giving a LOT more airflow.

I do have a scoop on my cowl, and it helped a lot, especially above 40ish mph. And yes, mine is facing backwards (at the windsheild), it works better that way.

Comment

Hmmm... Interesting, The YJ floor deflector fits a CJ and much nicer also. THe YJ motor fits but has two wires but that's no big deal. I think some of the YJ air controls are vacuum operated but again no big deal and I'm not sure about the defrost. Obviously the way thae air is delivered to the window is differen but is the outlet on the box the same?

I'll have to look one up. They are quite simular in appeance.

Comment

Thawin' out...

Glad you didn't freeze up there this winter Bigsky. Take a look at this link. It's the mod a lot of the guys use.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/heater.html

I jerked the whole mess out and installed the heatercraft heater on the 4WD site. I LOVE the thing for down South but I'm hesitant to recommend it in your neck of the woods. Installing it wasn't exactly the piece of cake they lead you to believe, either.

Comment

Much obliged!

Much obliged guys!! I do have a good auxiliary heater right now without which I'd be sqewered. I'd still like to get the stock one up to speed though. I got to take the jeep out in some of the remaining mountain snow South of town yesterday. I even got to drive through a partially frozen creek! Good stuff! Even almost got stuck a little bit going up a certain hill. Not as much fun as it sounds when you're out there in the middle of no where by yourself without a shovel, a winch, a clue, etc! Need lockers, winch, etc. I wasn't out there wheelin' though. I just went out to the family cabin to feed birds and check on things. At the last minute the snow further out called to me so I went to check things out! When I got out into a little deeper snow I realized I didn't have a shovel so I tried to take it easy. Man you guys should've been there though. I went up this tiny little road that went through a creek, then winded its way up a coulee, through some snow, then a little mud, a little dry ground, some more snow and mud, etc. Then quite a ways up into the coulee I found these two really nice cabins all by themselves up there with a great view of the mountains and hills. No one was around so I got out and looked around a little. Wish I could have stayed there for a few hours. One of the cabins had a nice deck for me to sit on, but I didn't want to get that comfy. Anyway, Later guys!!
          Last edited by BigSkyGuy; 03-22-2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

do a search on swapping it with an chevy S10 blower. they're an easy swap and put out tons of heat. you can also just buy a replacement blower from 4wd.

Comment

The upper part of the yj heater stuff is operated by vacuum(cold air/vent) so that would take some creative modification, but the lower unit is pretty much the same.

Comment

BigSky, you say you have a good auxillary heater? I have a cheap electric one that doesn't put out enough heat. Can you hook up the ones that integrate into the heater hoses and still keep your stock heater? I've done the blower motor swap and switched out all new parts, but I would still like to get some more heat, especially for the defroster. What I have is adequate for me, but for the kids it gets a little cold. Thanks.

Comment

JP magazine recently did an article on this swap. Basically, you have to use the upper plenum from the CJ and attach it to the lower plenum from a YJ. They said that it would heat better because the blower motor from the YJ is more powerful, plus it's a 3 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Van Buren
                    JP magazine recently did an article on this swap. Basically, you have to use the upper plenum from the CJ and attach it to the lower plenum from a YJ. They said that it would heat better because the blower motor from the YJ is more powerful, plus it's a 3 speed.
                    At first I thought "What does he mean? 3 Speed? " Then I realize you have a 77 CJ. Like my old 76 CJ heater It only had 2 speeds. The 78 and later CJ all have 3 on speeds also. I replaced the whole heater box out of my 76 CJ with a HEater box from an 84 CJ. Much better heat than the old 76-77 heater box but a lot of new holes in the firewall.

So I forgot to ask BigSkyGuy what year CJ he has, as it may be important to the amount of work he would have to do to improve his heater in his 'ol CJ. IF it's 77 or older, it's a lot more work than just swapping in a YJ heater box. But if you not scared of drilling the heck out of your firewall and cutting the cowl opening bigger then go for it.
                    Last edited by John Strenk; 03-24-2006, 04:48 AM.

Comment

My auxiliary heater!

John, I have a 79, and yes I'd cut the heck out of my firewall to get a bigger heater motor in there if I have to. It'd be worth it. I mean it seems like the heater in there now may as well not even be there!

hbc, you asked...
                      BigSky, you say you have a good auxillary heater? I have a cheap electric one that doesn't put out enough heat. Can you hook up the ones that integrate into the heater hoses and still keep your stock heater?
                      Well I just went out to my jeep at 2:45am to take some pics of my auxiliary heater setup to show you, but I can't get the pics off my camera. Luckily I still have some on the computer from a long time ago. Interestingly, THEY TOO were taken at night! (Laugh) I'm a night owl folks.

My auxiliary heater works great, and basically all I use the OLD ONE for is trying to defrost the windshield. It still works as a regular heater though. The heat on my aux is water from engine just like you said. It's integrated into the water line that heats the other heater. The aux heater fan is electric of course with a toggle on the dash plate. I have the heater sitting on the rear passenger fender facing strait to the side so it would blow right in front of a passenger sitting in the back seat. THIS WOULD BE GREAT FOR YOUR KIDS IF THEY WERE SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT!! Passengers sitting in the back seat LOVE THIS HEATER. Even in the summer when the top's off and we're a little higher up in the hills, when it's getting dark, it's chilly out, and we have some highway driving to do it blows heat right across the rear passengers. When the top's on the warm air circulates around the cab in a circlular pattern pretty well. The fan blows pretty good. Low speed sends a nice stream of warm air through the cab.

For the water hose going to the heater I put a "Y" in the hose that goes from the water pump to the input of the old heater core. I sent the additional hose down under the jeep (inside the frame) over the TC skidplate, through the front spring hanger of the passenger side rear leaf spring and up the front corner of the rear passenger side fender well where it connects to the heater. You can see the hoses inside the fender well if you look from the outside of the jeep. I don't have pics of that. It looks OK though. People don't usually know what the hoses are. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the passenger side rear fenderwell for the little water input/output nobules. The output hose then follows the same exact path back through and over everything then back into the engine compartment. Then that output hose and the output hose coming out of the firewall from the old heater core are joined together with a 2nd "Y", and they go into the top of the intake.

Works great! At first I was surprised at how much heat it kicks out. It's a life saver! Have a look-see at the pics! I put some arrows to show which direction it flows. Without this heater I'd be screwed though. Basically all I use the old heater for is defrosting the windshield. I don't know how many BTUs of heat this one puts out, but it's about 7.5 by 7.5 by 8 inches in physical size.

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BigSkyGuy; 03-24-2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

BigSky, Thanks for all the information and photos! This may be a project for me over the summer. I bought my jeep from a guy from Florida. When I got it, it's heater had been disconnected (hoses plugged off, no power running to it, etc.). I took it out and put a new core, fan switch, and an updated blower from 4wdh in it. I really can't complain because it does get the cabin warm enough that I eventually have to turn the fan down. It's just that it stays a little cold at first for my kids to handle it.

I think the project you showed me would be perfect to get them warmer, faster. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                          At first I thought "What does he mean? 3 Speed? " Then I realize you have a 77 CJ. Like my old 76 CJ heater It only had 2 speeds. The 78 and later CJ all have 3 on speeds also. I replaced the whole heater box out of my 76 CJ with a HEater box from an 84 CJ. Much better heat than the old 76-77 heater box but a lot of new holes in the firewall.

So I forgot to ask BigSkyGuy what year CJ he has, as it may be important to the amount of work he would have to do to improve his heater in his 'ol CJ. IF it's 77 or older, it's a lot more work than just swapping in a YJ heater box. But if you not scared of drilling the heck out of your firewall and cutting the cowl opening bigger then go for it.
                          John, I also have a '76 CJ-5. The '77 is now just a tub.

Comment

I replaced the crappy heater in my '76 CJ-7 with a newer one out of an '83 CJ. I also added the common Chevy Blazer heater motor upgrade. Everything bolted in and all I had to do was cut a hole in the firewall for the motor and new hose nipples. It works incredibly well and I actually have a defroster that works. It's the only way to go with an older CJ

Comment

Working...
                            X