X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ5 350 Tranny

I am running a 350 engine with the original 3 speed and dana 20 transfer case. I was wondering what would be the best swap of transmission and transfer case would be. I need a 4 speed so I can have a good granny gear. Everyone says get an old chevy truck but not sure what year or anything to be looking for. What do you guys think?

SM420 if you can find one or 465 if not. The 465 was in trucks and Blazers and suburbans from like 69 through 91 so you can find them.
    Last edited by athenscj5; 03-23-2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

is money no object? nv4500/atlas

Comment

That would be nice but I just need a good manual 4 speed with a granny gear.

Comment

swapped my T90 for a SM465

I swapped my T90 for a SM465 4 speed which I got off of EBAYfor $65 bucks. I had to have the tranny modified to fit the T18 twin stick but I got those parts from advance adapters as well as the rebuild kit. Here is a link to see the 465 and specs, http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/gm/gmsm465id.html

Here is a picture to see the difference between a T90 3 spd and a 465 4 spd.

Dana
          Last edited by CJ+TJ=DJ; 09-02-2006, 03:30 PM.

Comment

SM465 would be the ticket. The SM420 has a lower granny gear, but they're harder to find, and parts availability is limited.

Only problem you might run into with a CJ5 is length if you use the Chevy transfer case too. I think it's about 4" longer for the SM465 / NP205 combo than what comes in the Jeep. The CJ5 already has a ridiculously short rear drive shaft.

Comment

forgot about driveshaft modifications

EvilTwin is correct. My CJ5 had to have the front and back drive shafts modified because the 465 moved all of the measurements. The rear got shorter and the front got longer. The 465 is longer and taller than the original T90. I would certainly go for it though. The 465 can take the beating from the 350 and it is a great addition to a T18 twin stick, almost bullet proof when adapted correctly.

Good call Twinstick..

Dana

Comment

Have SM420

If you decide you want an SM420, I have one. Also, a Ford T-18. I think the SM420 is a direct bolt-up to your Chevy bellhousing. According to Novak, the Y-18 is a near bolt up. Hollar back if you are interested. I am half way between Cleveland and Columbus Ohio, near Mansfield.

Comment

Working...
                X