X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i hear air

any one ever hear an air noise comming from the steering collum?i can turn the steering wheel slightly in eather directionat idel and hear air.couldnt belive it so i took the horn button off and i am hearing it. ?@%'&@#%.?i have 86 cj-7 still mostly original.exept carb and brake booster.if i am rite i cant remember any airlines going to my steering,i did change my steering geerbox months ago but am hearing this air now....just wondering but everything is working.

Like a whistle or like a hiss.?

Comment

nope not eather.it is a sh kinda sound it goes sh sh sh sh when i turn the wheel at idel..almost like a brake booster would sound like if it is about to go out sh sh sh.does that help?

Comment

My complete guess, is your brake booster is leaking and it sounds like its comming from the steering since they are next to eachother

Comment

pretty sure its comming from inside the collum.ill check it out again today and let you all know,thanks for info and gueses.and shouldnt i here it when i push the brake? this is happening when i turn the wheel left or right at a stop at idel and no brakes are on.

Comment

it could just be transfering sound from another part connected to it.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              it could just be transfering sound from another part connected to it.
              Have you opened the hood and had someone else turn the wheel
              Also could it be the power steering pump making the noise.
              Chasing sounds can be tricky.

Comment

I'm thinking it's pump noise being transfered up the colume from the PS box. I hear a hiss hiss out of steering all the time but not out the colume.

Comment

Is the rig equiped with P/S? Sounds like a power steering pump doing its job to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X