X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ U-Joint Replacement

Ok... I just wanted some advice... I blew my front driver axle u-joint last trail ride and am going to attempt to fix it... I have a guy who will press the joint for me he just wants me to pull the axle shaft off for him. I wanted some advice from you guys who have done this before... and i'm sure there are many of you out there. Is there anything i should be careful for or take care for while taking apart the front wheel assembly. Its an 82 CJ-5... Thanks so much!!!

spindle...

BigO, this might seem like a ridiculous piece of advice but I saw it cause a member some headaches some time back. Don't forget to remove the spindle. The axle won't come out without doing so.

Comment

Trust me any advice is good advice... I've been restoring this 82 for about a year and a half now and i am learning so much... Thanks!

Comment

bigo,
        i did this when we first got our cj7. take your time and it really is no problem. the best advice i can give is to get a spindle puller. prob available at the zoon for rental. one side took me 3.5 hours to pull the other 3.5 seconds. have fun.
        mudd

Comment

Also something to consider is leting a driveline shop put the Ujoint in
          Theres a shop by me that i get my ujoints from and they only charge
          $3.50 more to install them. I took my rear dshaft to them last week and got 2 new ujoints installed for $35 including tax.

Comment

What in the??? a spindle puller?? six bolts and they are off right?? Thats how it worked on my 86 cj7 anyway....

Taking a u joint somewhere to have installed?? all u need is a vise.....i did buy a ball joint tool from harbor freight that also intalls joints, very good $40 investment.....

How did you brake the joint and not wreck the axles yokes??....damn ive done this twice now, good thing ebay is there i got both sides now for $5 each plus the $20 shipping.....

Make sure u put heavy duty u joints in there, both joints i broke were the standard joints and brand new.....If it wont accept the heavy duty joint i recommend boring it out so the heavy duty one will fit.....u can take this somewhere or buy the right ones on ebay for $5 like i did.....

Good luck and replace joints so u dont have to buy axles.....

Comment

i use sockets and a hammer to remove and install the joints. with the money you save from the ball joint kit you can buy a spindle nut socket and still have some left over for beer. using a hammer and screwdriver leaves metal filings in the hub when i've tried it.

Comment

One of last months 4 wheel drive type magazine showed a cheap way to make a spindle nut tool, just hammer down the sides of a pipe to make the shape of the spindle nut.

Or just take the easy route like I did and buy the tool from 4WDH!

Comment

i bought the harbor frieght set when it was on sale for like $25. i think the actual term is wheel bearing lock nut set or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                    i use sockets and a hammer to remove and install the joints. with the money you save from the ball joint kit you can buy a spindle nut socket and still have some left over for beer. using a hammer and screwdriver leaves metal filings in the hub when i've tried it.
                    No, see i already had the ball joint kit to do ball joints.....i tried ball joints without the tool and it just didnt work, esp when you cant the retainer clip on, god they made these a bastard....

Comment

Working...
                    X