X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling a hard top and doors question

I have a hardtop and some fiberglass doors I bought. My intentions were to clean up the top and repaint it and to "fix" the fiberglass doors and paint them.

Two problems...
    1) I really just haven't had the time or the interest in doing any of the work since I got the top and the doors
    2) The more I thought about it the more I realized I just wasn't going to use the top that much since my jeep is not a DD and is kept in the garage. I keep it topless most of the time... during the winter I just don't drive it that much... on the occasional warm day I'll take it out for a while... and sometimes I put the soft top on and run around with it on for a while.

So... I think I want to sell the top and the doors and now I have a few questions....

1) There was a terrible rattle can paint job on the top before and I have basically stripped that all off (used some paint stripper and a putty knife and got most of it off)... now it can be sanded over very quickly and it would be easy to spray the top with any color... the way I see it if I leave the top as is... somebody could put a tiny bit of work in it and have a real nice top and could paint it whatever color they wanted. But I'm afraid somebody will see it as it is and will not be willing to pay me as much for the top unpainted. If I paint it I am probably just gonna grab a couple cans of black rustoleum and paint it (I know I can make it look better than was on there before). Like I said I just haven't had the time or willingness to do it... do you think the value would be any less with it unpainted? Same with the doors... they need some work (which is how I bought them)... if it is going to make a huge difference in the price then I probably could fix all of it over the summer and be ready to sell in the winter. But I would probably try to get at least an extra $200 or so out of the doors and top.

2) Should I wait to try to sell these next winter when people will be wanting hard tops again... (summer is coming and my guess is that people would be more interested in the fall or winter)?

3) Anybody interested in buying it now? CJ/YJ top... best I can tell it is a factory original... needs a little bit of work around the rear liftgate hinges too (little bit of typical rust)... again I can fix it... but just didn't want to anymore... even have new stainless hinges for it. Want to sell the top and doors all together... the doors need a bit of fiberglass work too (they are brown now but since they are fiberglass could be painted any color you want)... again... not hard to fix I just lost interest in them... I am not trying to "make" anything... i just would like to break even on what I paid for all of it... if I could get about between $550 and $600 I would be happy.

paint it. sell it. buy something better that doesn't need fixed up before you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
      paint it. sell it. buy something better that doesn't need fixed up before you use it.
      well the "fixing" part was not that big of a deal... the main reason I don't want the top any more is that I'm just not going to use it...

i hadn't painted it yet b/c I wasn't sure what color I was going to paint it... orginally I was going to paint it with automotive paint and I was considering painting it the same orange color as my jeep (still have plenty of the paint left over)... but if I am going to sell it... like I said... it will be rustoleum black (which was the other color I was considering anyway)... but if somebody wanted to buy it essentially "ready to paint" then they could paint it whatever color they wanted... heck they could even use bedliner on it!!!

Comment

i'm interested in it

hey dude,

i live just south of raleigh and was wondering if i could come by and check it out or if you could email me some picks of the top and doors. i'm particularly interested in the top, but i understand you want to sell them together.

hit me back

Comment

Originally posted by the wildebeest
          hey dude,

i live just south of raleigh and was wondering if i could come by and check it out or if you could email me some picks of the top and doors. i'm particularly interested in the top, but i understand you want to sell them together.

hit me back
          sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
          X