X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 cj5 brakes

Manual brakes on a 79 cj5.....I just replaced the master cylinder, calipers and pads on the front and the wheel cylinders and shoes and hubs on the back. I bled the brakes till i got clean fluid coming out and then some. Still i have to pump the brakes 5 or 6 times to get them hard and they will stay hard till i let off the pedal then they have to be pumped again to get hard. Can anybody point me in the right direction to solve this? Is it possible that i still have air in the lines? Also...can someone fill me in on the gravity bleeding method...does the pedal need to be pushed down while its bleeding? Thanks
    Last edited by dwb1500; 04-03-2006, 01:44 PM.

Well here is my 2 cents worth, I never bleed the brakes unless the line has a hole in it or it needs to be replaced, I just take my handy dandy c-clamp and push the cylinder in and it pushes the air/fluid out, I would check and see when you push the pedal if it's touching the pad the first time, open the line and press the pedal, then close the line as the pedal is being pushed.

Comment

Thanks for the info...ill try that.

Comment

Make sure your rear shoes are nice and snug before you start bleeding. It's possible there's to much play in them and not enough fluid to seat them properly against the drum. The wheel cylinder will only push them out so far.
        Alot of times I see the bleed sequence as RR LR RF LF although I think you will find the LR is further from the master cylinder than the RR. So that's the way I do it.
        Anyway hope that helps.........

Comment

exheep has it right , check for back brake adjustment first. One thing I have seen happed with some guys is if they put on new calipers or after taking them off...it has happened that if they are put on opposite sides...the bleeder will be on the bottom and not the top and you cannot get them bled. Not a common mistake but one that I have seen happen before. Ed

Comment

bleeding tip

find some clear tubing that fits over the bleed valve (try a hobby shop that sells RC planes or a medical supply for O2 tubing).... you want the ID to fit snuggly over the bleed valve screw, then put the other end in a glass jar 1/4 full of brake fluid. get your buddy to pump up the brake pedal and hold it while you open the valve. keep bleeding til there are absolutely no bubbles coming out the end of the tubing which will be obvious as they will bubble up through the fluid in the jar. rr lr rf lf is the correct sequence.

Comment

Working...
            X