X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj frame yj tub

how big of a pain is it to match up a cj frame w/a yj tub??

not hard at all really you will just need to adjust some mounts on the tub or the frame. Search "Tub Swap" I am sure you will get about 10 different step by step way of going about it.

I just did on one mine, 90yj tub on a 84CJ7 worked great!

Comment

92 tub on an 84 CJ. Had it all back together (interior, dash front clip etc.) except for 2 or 3 tub bolts in about 12 hours.

Comment

It was not hard at all. I have a 93 tub on a 79 cj frame with an 83 dash.

Comment

If you want to get technical my 84 CJ7 is actually a:

79,80,84,90,92,94 CJ,YJ,XJ

Comment

Hey Thanks Guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey
              If you want to get technical my 84 CJ7 is actually a:

79,80,84,90,92,94 CJ,YJ,XJ
              sounds like a jonny cash song....

Comment

which mounts

Mickey...
                You siad you performed the swap by putting a 90 Yj onto a 84 Cj frame, but mounts didn't line up. Which mounts do't line up and how exactly did you make them line up? Did you change the holes on the frame or the tub? Thanks

Comment

The mounts in front of the rear wheels don't match up but they tub has a reinforcing channel that does fall on top of the frame mount in this location. You can drill and thread flat bar and push them into the channel from the wheel well for a set up similar to the original mounts. Then drill ahole through the channel for the bolt to go through and tighten the mount down that way. Also, the very rear most mounts on a YJ tub are slightly farther apart. My rear cross member was thrashed where the stock mounts were so I cut and patched new steel and drilled new holes in the x-member to correspond to the tub locations.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks...that helps a lot.
                    Mark

Comment

seems to me a cj tub on a yj frame would be a better swap if you have both anyway, the yj frame is already boxed and lifts are a little better

Comment

Rust Issue

The reason I am replacing my CJ tub with a YJ tub is because I don't have much CJ tub left due to cancer. The YJ tub is near perfect condition and I like the CJ front clip and dash better than a YJ. It is a time consuming process because you find things to fix while you are in there (ie brake lines, gas lines, e-brake, exhaust, gas tank and gas skid.). After brake and gas lines, the tub is ready to go back on! Almost there!

Comment

Originally posted by mjt
                          The reason I am replacing my CJ tub with a YJ tub is because I don't have much CJ tub left due to cancer. The YJ tub is near perfect condition and I like the CJ front clip and dash better than a YJ. It is a time consuming process because you find things to fix while you are in there (ie brake lines, gas lines, e-brake, exhaust, gas tank and gas skid.). After brake and gas lines, the tub is ready to go back on! Almost there!
                          sounds good i was just curious about the swap it gives me a chance to brain storm

Comment

Working...
                          X