X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T150 transmission problems

I have a 77 Cj 7 with the 3spd. standard T150 transmission. I installed a centerforce dual friction clutch setup and after it was broke in I decided to see if it made a difference. I'm running a 304 with some extras and 32" tires. When I got on it somthing locked up in the transmission. I imediatly pushed the clutch, "which still worked fine" and pulled over. My first thought was its the model 20 rear end or the drive shaft but I narrowed it down to the transmission. I can still drive it about 6' then it locks up and I can push the clutch put it in R then 1st and move another 6'. I have a 2nd 77cj7 for parts. The transmission is the same but it has ben unused for about 7 years. I know it was good when the Jeep was parked but now the stick will not budge. Is this trany still restorable? how? Dose anyone have an idea on what happened to the one I was using? Would it be better to replace a part or the whole trans.? How hard is it to change the output shaft, if thats the problem. This is my 1st post. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Mysterious innards...

Welcome to the board Labattman. I have not had to delve into Myrtle's T150but I've read several posts on here where the guys say it's a pretty straightforward, simple rebuild. I distinctly remember one of the guys saying that the parts won't go back in but one way... 4WD carries just about every part in the box. Get yourself a manual if you don't have one. You'll have to weigh the options with regard to your other tranny. If it's just seized from lack of use that would probably be the cheapest fix. If you want to rebuild the one you have that would give you a 'warm and fuzzy' about having a dependable tranny beneath you. As far as what went wrong... you BROKE something...

Comment

The T-150 is an easy trany to rebuild there isn't much to it and the Hayne's manual covers it pretty well. The manual on the Dana 20 is a little rough but it is doable also.

Comment

Possible solution / upgrade

This week I ran across a late '80s cj7 with a 258 & factory 4 speed. I am assuming (dangerous ground, I know) that this would be a T-18 4 speed that jeep used with the 258. I have one behind my 304 and I love it. The guy wants like $700 for the jeep. If you are interested, I would be willing to broker it for you. It is in a small town in Ohio called Apple Creek.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
          Welcome to the board Labattman. I have not had to delve into Myrtle's T150but I've read several posts on here where the guys say it's a pretty straightforward, simple rebuild. I distinctly remember one of the guys saying that the parts won't go back in but one way... 4WD carries just about every part in the box. Get yourself a manual if you don't have one. You'll have to weigh the options with regard to your other tranny. If it's just seized from lack of use that would probably be the cheapest fix. If you want to rebuild the one you have that would give you a 'warm and fuzzy' about having a dependable tranny beneath you. As far as what went wrong... you BROKE something...
          I think a rebuild is my best bet. I have never had a transmission apart because I am afraid of starting somthing I can't finish. I am a do it yourselfer but like most americans I don't have a alot of spare time on my hands. I changed the pistons in my 304 2 years ago using the Hayne's manual that was fairly simple. I have also installed a 4.5" rubicon express lift kit in my CJ successfully. Thanks for the advice, hearing that gave me the confiedence I needed to go ahead with the rebuild. Now I need to decide which transmission to rebuild and what parts to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
            I distinctly remember one of the guys saying that the parts won't go back in but one way...
            That sounds like one of my quotes. A T150 is probably the least complex manual tranny in the world. Give the rebuild a shot, you'll probably suprise yourself and have a ton more knowledge about it when you're done.

Comment

Bill, I live about 4hrs. away from Apple Creek and it dose sound like a good deal and Idea, but I would like to stick with the originaly equpt 3 speed. It just woulden't feel like a 77 without it. That and I only put about 300 miles on my new clutch setup and I't won't go in the 4 spd. so I would be out close to $300.

GPER,
              To me it seams like a better Idea to rebuild the one that sat there for years. My logic on that is based on the fact that it worked fine when it was parked so I know their are no bent shafts or other problems that my not be visable by eye. If I were to rebuild the one that broke I would have to spend more $ on parts to insure that its done properly. I don't know what gave out but it may have caused other damage or happened due to another problem. If I rebuild the good but "set up" trany Its more straightforward on what parts to get. What do you think? I don't know what I should use to clean it up and get it moving again. I just don't want to damage anything any product suggestions? 4WD has all the parts I need, but I'm not shure what parts to buy. I don't want to overkill and wast money, but I do want to feel like it's gona last as long as I don't try popin' any more wheelies. What should I buy for this rebuild?

Comment

I would just pop the top off the trans that has been sitting. Chances are its just the shifter that is seized from sitting and will just need to be lubed. Drain the oil and do a visual inspection of the internals. If nothing looks worn or broken...seal the top back on and run it.

Comment

One more thing on the rebuilding the bok will talk about the special tools that you will need. All you will need is a piece of wooden dowel rod for that to hold the roller bearings in. I don't recall the size but it is the same size as the shaft.

Comment

I believe the t-18 and t-150 will use the same clutch....but you would have other mods like changing drive shaft lengths....but if I were you I would take
                    Bills deal if the jeep he can get has all the drive shafts, tranny cover, and if its actually a t-18 which may not be because factory t-18s were not available after 80 in cj's. NOw if it were, like maybe someone put one in....then the t-18/300 combo would be awesome....if its any fourspeed other than t-18...don't bother and go ahead with the t-150 rebuild. Here are some possible money saving tips...If you find a top-loader three speed from a Ford product...Van, truck, ? and it has RAT or RAN tag....then all the gears inside should be same ratio as the T-150 which is nothing more than the Ford 3 speed. One difference is the T-150 was built in Mexico possibly and therefore may have weaker gears. Using a Ford one for parts may increase the gear strength. I have done this several times with success. There is only one small mod if you use the Ford input, and that is you will need to put you pilot bushing (I machine a Ford one down on the O.D.) to fit the outer ledge of the crankshaft. Jeeps input shafts have a longer pilot bushing area. Good luck with what you do. Ed

Comment

JeepManEd,
                      What models come factory with a t-18

Comment

don't get too excited, guys...

Originally posted by Labattman
                        JeepManEd,
                        What models come factory with a t-18
                        Unless that's not the original tranny in that Jeep it's probably a T-177. That's not nearly as sweet a find as a T18. And I believe 'technically' the T18 with the 'granny low' is a T18A. I'll be darned if I'd broker that for someone else. That baby would be sittin' in my own yard.
                        Last edited by blackwater; 04-08-2006, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                          I would just pop the top off the trans that has been sitting. Chances are its just the shifter that is seized from sitting and will just need to be lubed. Drain the oil and do a visual inspection of the internals. If nothing looks worn or broken...seal the top back on and run it.
                          I just may do that. I bought my jeep on a job in WY paid $3500 in yr2000 it was in exelent condition. I live in western NY and it comes off the road when the snow or should I say salt flies. The weather is getting nice and I got the itch to run it. If I do what your saying then I'll still want to rebuild the one in it so I have a spare and in a sick way I like workin on it. The thing that hooked me on jeeps is the fact that I can feel good about putting money into my CJ because frames, bodies and other parts are readily available so I will always be able to restore it unlike the unibody mopars I wasted so much time and money on only to have them turn to brown spots in the yard.

Comment

Me, too...

I would take Motorhead's advice and try it that way myself, Labattman.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                              This week I ran across a late '80s cj7 with a 258 & factory 4 speed. I am assuming (dangerous ground, I know) that this would be a T-18 4 speed that jeep used with the 258. I have one behind my 304 and I love it. The guy wants like $700 for the jeep. If you are interested, I would be willing to broker it for you. It is in a small town in Ohio called Apple Creek.

Would be a t-176 I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X