X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startn Problem..

On my 82 CJ I can charge a new battery all the way up out of the jeep then when i put it back in and connect the cables everything works lights gauges ect... But as soon as I go to start it i hear a loud click... and then nothn works... lights gauges nothn. Its like the battery is dead. I can even disconnect the cables and re connect them... I think the clickin noise is coming from my starter...Any Ideas???

Maybe its....

Now im not sure if im right or not but my dads had kinda the same problem. one day i started it up, pulled it out of the garage shut it off and it wouldnt start. kinda made a loud clicking like your talking about. i found out it was the starter. i took it off and cleaned the surface very well because i belive this is were the ground is created for the starter. put it back on and it fired right up.

Comment

Since nothing works after the 'click' I bet it's the cables. The terminals on the battery or the starter solenoid or the ground to the block or were ever it's grounded. It may be correded and arc over for a second and then melts away with the big current rush and you loose connection.

If you have a volt meter you could hunt this down pretty quick but in the end you just replace all the cables anyway. Autozone had some nice 2 ga. cables pretty cheap the oher day and worked great on my CJ.

Comment

Ok... I will try that... Umm also it only clicks once... the first time i turn the key after that nothn...

Comment

check the negative cable where it's bolted to the block. i had the same problem. check and clean ALL connections. it's cheaper than replacing parts you don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by williewike
            check the negative cable where it's bolted to the block. i had the same problem. check and clean ALL connections. it's cheaper than replacing parts you don't need.
            Thats the first thing that came to mind here also. Make sure its grounded from the battery to the block, block to the frame, and battery to the firewall.

Comment

When I had that problem the starter was stuck. I hit it with a rubber mallet and heard it release. Then it was good. If it keeps doing this it may need some lube.

Comment

UpDate....

Ok Checked the connection from my neg bat to back of the block cleaned it... still nothn... The neg to the fire wall is good to... Bought new cables for + and - on the battery. Gunna try that tonight.. Also i could not see a ground from the frame to the block.. I have an 82 5... and idea where its located?? Thanks for all the help so far!

also.. stupid question.. where do you recommend luben my starter at.. thanks

Comment

I dont mean to steal the thread but I am having similar problems. Would the bad connections from the cables be able to lock up the starter? I ask this bc I have the same clicking noises and then everything dies too. I just bought an optima red top and so it shouldnt be the battery. And I just locked up my second starter. Are you saying all my problem is is bad cables or connections?
                  I dont know if this helps but even when i jump the starter solenoid by connecting the two terminals nothing happens.

Comment

bad cables could definitely cause those symptoms. if it's not all grounded that will cause the starter to short and make the click noise.

Comment

The terminals on the battery or the starter solenoid or the ground to the block or were ever it's grounded. It may be correded and arc over for a second and then melts away with the big current rush and you loose connection.
                      some times you have to take a knife and scrape them the wire brush dont always work

Comment

Definitely sounds like a bad cable connection or cable itself, most often at the ground. Typically a poor connection will quickly become hot to the touch.

A quick troubleshooting method that may work for you is to experience the problem and grab suspected cable connections on both ends and check temperature increases above ambient. If the connections feel cool to the touch then run your hand over the length of the cable while sensing temperature changes.

Good luck and post your findings.

Comment

My ground cable form the block to the frame is on the motor mount, one of them i forget. Pretty sure thats where it is on all cjs.

Comment

this is confusing...

Originally posted by 80cj5
                            I just bought an optima red top and so it shouldnt be the battery. And I just locked up my second starter. Are you saying all my problem is is bad cables or connections?
                            What do you mean by the starter 'locking up', 80cj5? I think you might have multiple troubles. Did you jump 'across' the starter solenoid, the two large terminals...as in a straight shot to the starter? If you didn't get a reaction from that then you must have an open starter winding OR the cable from the starter to the solenoid is open/very bad connection. But that doesn't explain everything else going dead. That symptom almost has to be a bad ground for everything else but I don't see how that could lock up a starter. Dang... I don't think I've helped this dilemma a bit. Go out there and get to work on this thing so you can solve the problem for us...

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                              What do you mean by the starter 'locking up', 80cj5? I think you might have multiple troubles. Did you jump 'across' the starter solenoid, the two large terminals...as in a straight shot to the starter? If you didn't get a reaction from that then you must have an open starter winding OR the cable from the starter to the solenoid is open/very bad connection. But that doesn't explain everything else going dead. That symptom almost has to be a bad ground for everything else but I don't see how that could lock up a starter. Dang... I don't think I've helped this dilemma a bit. Go out there and get to work on this thing so you can solve the problem for us...
                              well "locking up" is what my dad called it. I dont know how the internals work so from what I understand the clicking is it trying to turn over but it doesnt its locked in place. And yes I jumped over the two terminals on the starter solenoid to make a straight shot to the starter and still nothing.

From what you guys say it wouldnt hurt to just go ahead and get all new cables and take a wire brush to all the connections and hope that helps. I dont have CJ with me right now so I cant tell you the grounds are run at the moment...but I do dhave a fiberglass body on it, so that might have something to do with it since I cant ground to the body.
                              Last edited by 80cj5; 04-11-2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X