Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions RE: 68' CJ-5 What should I do ?

:g
    I'm putting back together a 68 CJ-5 that has a Buick V-6 mounted that currently is displacing 281 C.I. . My guess is that it was a 258, since it has been bored and stroked ($1000 worth of performance work according to the second owner I'm buying from). The Jeep doesn't have a tranny or transfer case installed. I also get a Chevy 350, th350 tranny, and what I think is either an NP203 or NP205 transfer case, all from a 79' Blazer. TCI has a bellhousing adapter for $50 that should get the th350 to the Buick V6, but I think the Transfer case is the NP203 which I heard is not too good for Jeeps. If it is an NP203 I was thinking I would try to find a cheap NP205 as they are supposed to be decent. This is my first Jeep and I would like it to be a daily driver, not necessarily a rock crawler right now. I don't want to spend a fortune, as the stuff I mentioned before set me back $800.
    Should I expect the Rear Diff to be a Dana 44, and what about the front?

79 blazers did not normaly come with a 205. 203's were standard fare.There are a couple of points to remember, horse power will break stuff and so will poor driving skills or habits.O.K. three things. NOTHING is simple.Take lots of mesurements,buy the adapter.Install it and enjoy your jeep.Don't wory about the tc.Enjoy your jeep.Don't listen to people about your crappy tc.Enjoy your jeep.Learn to drive it,fix it and enjoy your jeep.Happy trails.

Comment

Re: Looking for suggestions RE: 68' CJ-5 What should I do ?

Originally posted by Pattyboy
      :g
      I'm putting back together a 68 CJ-5 that has a Buick V-6 mounted that currently is displacing 281 C.I. . My guess is that it was a 258, since it has been bored and stroked ($1000 worth of performance work according to the second owner I'm buying from). The Jeep doesn't have a tranny or transfer case installed. I also get a Chevy 350, th350 tranny, and what I think is either an NP203 or NP205 transfer case, all from a 79' Blazer. TCI has a bellhousing adapter for $50 that should get the th350 to the Buick V6, but I think the Transfer case is the NP203 which I heard is not too good for Jeeps. If it is an NP203 I was thinking I would try to find a cheap NP205 as they are supposed to be decent. This is my first Jeep and I would like it to be a daily driver, not necessarily a rock crawler right now. I don't want to spend a fortune, as the stuff I mentioned before set me back $800.
      Should I expect the Rear Diff to be a Dana 44, and what about the front?

First off, the Buick V6 and the 258 or completely different motors. The 258
      is an I6 from AMC and was not available in Jeeps until 1972. The Buick V6
      was 225ci as installed in the CJ5. There was a 231ci version used in mid-70's
      and later GM cars. If you were to try and use the TH350 and NP203 or 205
      the drivetrain would be very long and leave little room for a rear driveshaft.
      Look here for good info on what was in early CJ5's and cost effective
      upgrades................ http://www.jeeptech.com

Comment

I have a '66 and '70 CJ-5. One is used for parts. The wheel base of a '68 CJ-5 is only 81 inches. You need to find the shortest transmission possible such as the T-18 or T-98. I believe the T-18 is the shortest. You need to find a dana or spicer 18 transfer case (almost bullet proof) and short. This is the only way that you can get a proper drive shaft angle. The dana and spicer 18 transfer cases tilt down some and lowers the height of the driveshafts outputs. These transmissions and transfercase are strong enough to handle the power of a chevy 350 engine and adapters can be found at Advanced Adapters.

The engine and transmission combinations that you are talking about using are just too long to fit!!!! This could be why your seller is trying to unload them.

The stock front axle is a very wead dana 27a. The stock rear is a dana 44 and works well with the buick 225 V-6, however it probably has 10 splined axles which need to be replaced with axles of more splines. When I put 33 inch tires on mine the long rear axle would bend easily. I suggest replacing them with warn high strength axles.

Plan your jeep carefully, do some research before you buy stuff so you won't be replacing stuff later because it didn't work.

Bill

Comment

CJ-5 seems to really know what he's talking about. You definitely don't have a 258 and, being a 68', I'm positive that it was once a 225. I know that they were "built small", meaning that you could bore them out to a pretty large degree but I don't know if you can get a 281 out of it. Another thing, if it's been bored out, you need to make sure that the entire engine was gone through. Cam, lifters, manifold, and carb come to mind. Otherwise, you're going to have mechanical problems. May not be too big but you'll always find it doesn't quite run right. Once you've determined that your 225 is in good order, stick with it!!! They're nearly bullet proof and you don't need the 350 if you're just looking for a daily driver. On the tranny, you can also use a t-86. Not quite as tough as the t-18 but I've got the original t-86 in my 66' and haven't had any problems. Also, on the T/C, you can use the model 20 or you can adapt the dana 300. Personally, I'd prefer the model 18 but those three are about it.
          Lastly, if you're looking to simply restore an old jeep that can be driven regularly, stay away from the 350 and the Th350 tranny unless you're reworking the entire jeep. You'll spend a lot more on drive shafts and replacing twisted axles than it's worth.

Comment

Working...
          X