X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 300 shifter?

When i move the shifter from "4hi" to "2hi" the inside shift rod come out but the outer one only comes part way.So the connector link between the 2 is ****eyed.Is this normal or is there a problem?Is this disengaging all the way or not?

On a dana 300 the 2 rods sticking out of the transfer case are for front and rear wheel drive. The rod closest to the drivers side is the rear wheel drive/shifter and the rod on the passenger side is for the front wheel/drive
    so in 2wd the left rod is in (closer to the transfer case) and the other is in the middle (front wheel drive in in neutral)
    If you put the transfer case in the neutral position youl notice that Both rods will be in the middle.
    This pic Shows where your shifters would be if you did the TWIN STICK
    but the locations of the rods are the same. Meening in is in middle is middle out is out.
    With one stick/shifter you have diagrams 1,2,3 and 5
    Last edited by hozercj7; 04-10-2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Great info and pic....but what does this mean?

Originally posted by hozercj7
      Meening in is in middle is middle out is out.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
        Great info and pic....but what does this mean?
        I was kinda thinking the same thing when i wrote it

Comment

Sorry, read it again and it makes cense. In is in. Middle is middle. Out is out.

Don't mind me...its early yet. lol

Comment

How do you know if you have a twin stick or single setup? Just curious because I bought a 80 CJ (first jeep) and it has a dana 300 single shifter but it does not shift properly with the single shifter it feels like it's binding and you have to pull like a sob to get it into gear. Any suggestions?

Comment

The term TWIN STICKS refers to having 2 4wd shifters.
              If you only have 1 stick the you have a stock setup.
              I have an 86 cj7 with a d300 also and mine was the same way
              Extremly hard to get in and out of 4wd.
              Crawl under the cj on the passenger side and look up over the skid plate
              using a flashlight. You should see where the shifter rods sticking out of the transfercase. If theres any dirt/grime clean it out/off.
              Then spray some penetrating oil on the shift rods.
              If you can get someone to help you with the jeep Off have them move the shifter while you spray it from underneith.
              The transfercase also shifts into 4Hi easier if you are rolling about 3 to 5 mph. Kinda coasting Not speeding up or slowing down.
              I still have to spray mine about every other month.
              Hope this helps if it doesnt post again and ill try to help more.

Comment

Twin stick question???

can someone explain the benefits of having the ability to have front low/high rear low, etc. when would you use it?

Comment

I usually cruise around on the trails in 2lo so I can steer around trees and such. With locked front its alot tougher to make tight turns, so you can disengage the front axle, its nice. The twin stick also made the Tcase alot easier to shift in a out of 4WD.

Comment

Working...
                  X