X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch...

I am coming close to needing a new clutch on my 82 5...Any suggestions.. Is it all that hard to do your self...Costs??? Thanks..

do it

I put a Hays clutch on my 80 CJ5. As far as dificulty, it wasnt hard, but I also don't have a body on mine. If you have a body on your jeep, then you could experience some difficulty in getting the tranny out, but it is cetaily doable. You would need a torque wrench and an arb alignment tool to center the clutch drive plate, which is usually like $5 if it doesn't come with the new clutch. I paid like a $150 to $200 for everything, its worth it. If you get someone else to do it for you then it could be triple that, wich is way unneccesary.

Comment

not hard at all. just make sure you get a clutch alignment tool.

Comment

WE just replcaed the clutch on an 88 4runner that my room mate just bought. the clutch kit cost 80 bucks, and it came with the clutch, preasure plate, throw out bearing and that alighment tool. It took 2 of us probably about 5-6 slow pace hours to finish the job. We were able to do it with a motorcycle jack and a floor jack, but if you had acess to a transmission jack it would help IMMENSELY! Pick a full weekend, so you have time to deal with any issues that might come up, and do it.

Comment

you may want to hit the crossmember bolts with some pb blaster. put the straw on and spray into the inside of the frame where the nuts are welded. most likely at least one of the nuts will let go if you dont. it still quite possibley. if you have heat that would help. i had that happen on BOTH the frames that have been under my jeep. wrenches got taught how to fly......

Comment

Those were some of the "issues" I was talking about.... We had 4 of the 6 sway bar bolts break on the yota. No big deal, you dont need one anyway! But if the corssmember bolts break, you need to drill them out and retap. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Comment

Hey i just got done changing the clutch in my 82 cj 5 and it wasn't very bad. I bought a centerforce dual friction clutch for mine at a cost of around 200 bucks. those trannys arent all that heavy i did mine by myself with just a shop style floor jack. My bolts all came out fine after being hit with WD-40 so with any luck youll be just fine. Let us know how it goes! Good Luck

Comment

Well to me it doesn't sound that hard.... I'm gunna go buy all the parts this weekend and if i have time i hit it on Sunday...When i put the lift on i had to retap about 3 of those crossmember bolts . I will have to be careful with the others. Thanks again.. Keep ya up dated..

Comment

Working...
                X