Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny and gas gauge Q's

Q 1
    My t510 is making a constant loud grrrrrrrrr when the pressure is taken off the drive train, when the clutch is in, and durring the switch from the engine pushing the jeep to the jeep pushing the engine. the sound definatly gets louder at higher speeds. Ive had it tore down before to change syncros, but never replaced bearings. (Im figuring its time for new bearings.)My main Q is do you think the gears are ok or should I find new gears or tranny?

Q 2
    The needle on my after market gas gauge constantly moves from the correct position with respect to the amount of gas to E. if the key is on and the engine is off it will sit steady, but constantly moves with the engine on. Im thinking its probubly something simple because it just started doing this after being installed for a couple years. but dont know if it would be a ground, power, or sending unit.

Thanks for all your help,
    Todd

Anyone know how I would be able to tell if my gears would be good or bad after I tear down the tranny?
    Todd

Comment

In response to Question #1.... Are you sure its the Tranny? It almost sounds like the throw out bearing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by toad01
        Anyone know how I would be able to tell if my gears would be good or bad after I tear down the tranny?
        Todd
        Well a visual inspection would be the first thing to try. Post some picture here and we'll throw in our opinions. Checking the clearances as outlined in a manual would help. I just usually throw in a rebuild kit when I rebuild a tranny. I hate doing things twice. Why do you think the gears are bad? You can pop the top off the tranny for a quick visual.

Question 2:
        Read this Basic Troubleshooting CJ Gauges

and
        Quick Test on CJ gauges

Comment

John like your gauge how to link, the photos will help a lot of people.

Comment

man, that how-to lesson was great. you got any more of those up your sleeve? i'd love to read them all.

Comment

Originally posted by the wildebeest
              man, that how-to lesson was great. you got any more of those up your sleeve? i'd love to read them all.
              Here is a quick reference on Gauge Specs:
              Quick CJ gauge Facts

And a Step by Step quide to replacing the lock cylinder

Key Cylinder Replacement Guide

Comment

Working...
              X