Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33* Of Timing Sound Wierd At 800 Rpms?

I was checking my timing after failing an emision test and this is what i found. First off im looking at the right mark on the dampener. at idle around, 800 rpms for me, and with the vacuum advance line off the distributer i set the timing to 12*. now as soon as i put that line on my distributer my timing goes to 33* I've messed around with it going less but it sounds bad and drives worse so i put it back. is this normal. i should add that my catalatic converter is plugged up thats why i failed had 2600 hydro carbon count should be around 600.

you have the vac advance plugged into the wrong vac source do a search on ported vac.

Comment

is this a 258 6 if so it has been told to me that the crank pulley can slip which will give a false timing. more info on the jeep would be helpful, on my 82 cj7 I have to disconnect some wires on the ignition module to get true timing also vac on dist

Comment

what year is your cj?
        Mine is an 86 cj7 258 on mine there is a plug up on the firewall that has to be unpluged. Also the vac. adv. that is mentioned has to be plugged up.
        here is a link that might help you.
        http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

Comment

sorry for the late reply its a 304 v8. the cto valve was bad and the distr. was getting vacuum from the manafold at all times. i capped off the cto valve and just ran a line right to the distr. from the carb "spark" out put. what a differance! it idels around 600 with no missing or hesitation. i also welded up a new cat and hi flowing muffler she sounds as good as she runs now.

Comment

Working...
          X