Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help from you who break stuff

Hey Everyone,

OK, broke the drive train today. Actually what I broke is a damn bolt that the whole assembly cost $7.50 from 4wd. (D300 output) Ugh

So I have attached a couple of pic's, and what I need to know, based on your experience, is what is the best way to get the broken bolt out....

Taping the bolt?

Screw extracter?

Come on, show off the knowledge Please :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

i can not believe you are still wheeling with bolt and strap yokes...but the u-bolt yoke and be done with it. i broke about 4 bolt and strap yokes, then i switched, now i have only broken many many u-joints. and u-joints are much cheaper the yokes.
    clay

Comment

Ok, I sure don't seem to be unappreciative of your your comments, but the aren't what I would call really helpful.

You do with what you know. I got the engine thing done right, so what should i change, or how can I fix the problem the way it is?

oh yea, if you happen to have a 4wd.com part number you can reference that certainly would help me big time....

Comment

Go to the Junkyard and pull a U-Bolt style yoke of of a D44 axle, it will fit the D300. I'm using D44 yokes on mine, just make sure you get the right size U-Joint 1310 or 1330 both can be found on front of Ford 44s. -Or- Buy a U-Bolt style yoke from 4WD.

Comment

i think (read doesn't know for sure) that d20 yokes are ubolt and will interchange with d300 yokes.

Comment

If that bolt is not rusted in it may come out easier than you think. If it's sticking out the back of the yoke try to twist it on out with needle nose vise grip, if not Take a sharp small punch like a center punch only sharper, tap on one side of the end of the broken bolt and see if you can twist it out far enough to get a hold of it. Take care not to damage the yoke threads. If that doesn't work a drill and ez out are next. DP
            Last edited by DPete; 04-12-2006, 10:01 PM.

Comment

If you have air tools and a 1/2 inch impact itll only take about 30 mins to change the yoke.
              Or you can drill and re tap it.

Comment

Originally posted by hozercj7
                If you have air tools and a 1/2 inch impact itll only take about 30 mins to change the yoke.
                Or you can drill and re tap it.

^that's what I would do. Take that Joker off so you can get ur paws on it first. It'll come out. Just had mine off at the drive line place to get a CV shaft put in and it didn't take them 20 mins to take the yoke off of my dana 20. Even it you mess it up, 70 bucks is all they charged me for a CV yoke, a ujoint yoke's gotta be cheaper than that.

Comment

Drill a hole dead center a couple sizes smaller than the bolt, then work your way up till you just reach the threads, by this time you should be able to tap the rest out... good luck....if that dont work use a bigger than the bolt size bit and retap a larger hole for a larger bolt....you can also get hardened bolts....i know we used to have shear bolts for bailers and regular bolts shear off every 5 minutes and the hardened bolts work like they are supposed to....

Comment

I broke 3 of those bolts on my front yoke, all I did was take it off and turn the bolts out from the backside with my fingers. if that doesnt work you can drill it from the backside and I bet they come out easily. hope it helps

Comment

Click here

Comment

OK, I found the U bolt style Yoke in 4wd, and looked up the disassembly in the jeep manual. I looks like you just take the main bolt off (I'm assuming you need an impact for this), and pull the yoke and seal off. It mentions a specific tool to do this, but is it just a pully puller to take both off?

It certainly makes it seem as if you can do it with the xfer case still mounted on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead

Well that is so damn helpful I can't believe it! Thanks MotorHead!

Comment

I had the same exact thing happen to me just a little while ago. I tried drilling holes and using EZ outs, but the EZ outs broke off in the broken bolt. What a headache. After drilling the boken bolt until just the threads of the bolt was left, I started to thread a similar bolt trough the back and it started to push the broken one out. And if you have an impact hammer then it should be pretty easy to remove the yoke. But make sure you put the nut that holds the yoke on the same amount as before you took it off. If that doesn't make sense, then sorry.

Comment

Well, Did you get it out?

Comment

Working...
                              X