X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 transfer case skid bolts

How does everyone handle the welded in nuts for the transfer case skid plate? I have 2 broke loose and the frame is boxed.
    Drill thru top and bottom flanges and run a 7" long bolt??
    tub is off so this would be an easy fix unless there is a better idea out there

I know some on this board have drilled all the way through the chassis and used long bolts. I'm sure it works fine. I had 2 break off when I did my trans/t-case swap. I was able to drill one out and clean up the threads with a tap, but when I did the second I broke a drill bit off and couldn't get it out, so I just moved to a different hole in the skid plate and drilled and tapped a new hole in the chassis. I just didn't want to drill all the way through the chassis, even though it's probably fine to do so.

Comment

just want some more input
      drill thru seems pretty easy
      ANYBODY?/?

Comment

I drilled a hole in the inside of the frame above the bolt hole and slipped a nut and washer in the frame. Then I tack welded them in place so they didn't spin.

Comment

this happened on both the frames that have been under my cj. the first, i just drilled through, because i was looking into a frame swap. that worked fine. i had two on one side.

my second frame had the one in the middle break loose. i just run it with the two that are left. but...when i fix it right, i am going to get a piece of flat stock, weld the nuts to it, and then hole saw out the existing holes. then i will just weld the flat to the bottom of the frame. that way i know that i will not have a prob in the future. it is enough to drive a guy crazy tho.

Comment

HeliCoil. Worked like a charm. Repaired mine that way and it hasn't failed.

Comment

Skidpan bolts

My frame was really good and I drilled a hole on the inside to get to the nut - tightened it and used a grommet similiar to what you see on the firewall. This way I can get it out much easier by prying the grommet out and loosening it.

Comment

Working...
              X