X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Widetrack Axles to 1976 CJ5

Is this a difficult swap? Looking at my 1983 CJ7 frame I see the shock mounts are different than the 1976 CJ5 - on both on the frame and axle. Never been in a CJ5 with widetrack axles - I know it must help stability but are there any drawbacks?

I did that swap on my CJ5 and its great, much more stable offroad. Its pretty much a direct bolt in. Mine is a 82 though so it had the 81-up shock mounts on it already.

Comment

1983 Widetrack Axles to 1976 CJ5

Thanks -need to hear it was simple! Could you tell me what shocks you used? I have a 3 1/2 inch lift. Also - putting this on a CJ5 did you need a dropped pitman arm? Thank you.

Going to document this as I go, will post when I get out of prep stage. Body tub is off each and it should be straightforward.

Comment

The D30 It has axle-mounted shock mounts... BUT - since the narrowtracks use the U-bolt plates (both front and rear), you can continue to use those. They'll be a little close - but using the plates will work - mine does. So i just continued using the same shocks.

And if you plan on adding mods to the widetracks do it now while they arent in.

Comment

Working...
        X